Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why IP is so expensive? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why IP is so expensive?

2»

Comments

• @aglodek said:
    What? "nat'd ip"? You mean non-public IP, or what...?

Yes, private IP

@rds100 said:
    I blame google for the slow ipv6 adoption.

Why? What's with Google?

• I know the cheapest ipv4 address is $0.20/mo in USA.lol.

• johnlth93 said: Why? What's with Google?

Residential ISPs don't get ipv6 because there are no websites that work over ipv6. Ok, this is maybe only one of the excuses, but still...

Website owners don't make their websites accessible over ipv6, because they don't need to - there are no eyeballs that can reach them over ipv6.

If website owners have a good reason to have their website reachable over ipv6, this could speed up the whole ipv6 deployment process.

One possible way is if google declares "In our search results we will rank higher websites that are reachable over ipv6". Then all the webmasters will start opening tickets with their hosts, asking for ipv6.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

probably when a IP cost more then 5Euros per Month, LEB offers will not more exist? and what happens with already running offers? price increase.

• BogdacutuuBogdacutuu Member
    edited November 2013

@rds100 or Google could completely block IPv4 traffic, I bet that would be easier

• @Bogdacutuu they would never do that because this would cost them a lot of lost revenue.

• it depends on the location I guess. I've seen some really cheap IPs and IP blocks from East of the US

• @rds100 said:
    Residential ISPs don't get ipv6 because there are no websites that work over ipv6. Ok, this is maybe only one of the excuses, but still...

I wouldn't say so. It's more all the routers/switches/modems not supporting ipv6 as well. Getting every customer to make these changes will be really difficult. Most aren't tech savvy.

• @Bogdacutuu said: or Google could completely block IPv4 traffic, I bet that would be easier

No need for such extreme measures. All Google has to do is promote IPv6 website results at the top = instant adoption of IPv6 across the board! :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@aglodek said:
    No need for such extreme measures. All Google has to do is promote IPv6 website results at the top = instant adoption of IPv6 across the board! :)

That policy could hardly be justified.
    It will distort results and will give competing engines an unexpected chance to get better results.

• Maounique said: That policy could hardly be justified.

It will distort results and will give competing engines an unexpected chance to get better results.

They don't even need to implement this. All they need is to start a rumor, that they will do it.

• rds100 said: They don't even need to implement this. All they need is to start a rumor, that they will do it.

Google now favors results which work via IPv6. Update your SEO strategies now!

Thanked by 1rds100
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited November 2013

@rds100 said: They don't even need to implement this. All they need is to start a rumor, that they will do it.

@concerto49 said: Google now favors results which work via IPv6. Update your SEO strategies now!

This! Instant adoption of IPv6. Start buying HE.NET stock, heheh ;)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2013

@Maounique said:
    I do hope Europe will lead the way.

I think by the end of 2016 EU will be 50%+ at least, USA maybe closer to 2020, you just never know though, its not impossible that 3 or 4 of the big boys run out of IP's next year and just decide that it is F--k this s--t o'clock and help the whole industry make a huge push, highly doubt it but you never know.

• I do not see almost any IPv6 usage so far.

• IPs are free if you get them from an ISP like Cogent.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @MassNodes said:
    IPs are free if you get them from an ISP like Cogent.

You can't SWIP those along with other issues.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • MassNodesMassNodes Member
    edited November 2013

@concerto49 said:
    You can't SWIP those along with other issues.

Yup, but their also free. :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Liam said:
    No, I think EU maybe 2020 and USA about the same. 2016 is not possible with our bunch of idiot politicians. Even 2020 is optimistic in my opinion.

Fair enough, time will tell I guess.

• @jcaleb said:
    in some dc , ipv4 is not expensive

Care to share such providers outside US?

• @Liam hell no, we don't need the EU/governments to add even more stupid regulations. The industry will figure this out by itself.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Liam said:
    Indeed but not tomorrow or next week or the week after. Maybe the next decade.

I have had native ipv6 with my ISP for the last 3 years. Time for everyone else to catch up ;)

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

@Liam said:
    The problem is that the major internet providers in the EU have enough IP space as far as I can tell, so are not rushing to adopt a new protocol urgently. Hence without intervention from the government, IPv6 won't be rolled out until the ISPs need it and can justify spending their profits.

Hi!

Telekom have an end-user IPv6 testing, and their new end-user related system (dls modem, catv modem, routers, etc) theoretically have an ipv6 support.

If Telekom group starting to deploy IPv6 to their end-users, this generate a big bum in IPv6 usage.

• Imagine if tomorrow, we awoke to an IPv6 loving world...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Imagine all the people...
    Living for today...
    Nope, while it would make sense to deploy IPv6 now and eat the costs once, since others dont do it, everyone will have to eat the costs of IPv4 scarcity AND the IPv6 deployment.
    Yeah, this is how it works, and hoard as many IPv4 as possible :)

• Because there are lesser IPv4 now,so some people loves to make money

• Infinity580 said: probably when a IP cost more then 5Euros per Month, LEB offers will not more exist? and what happens with already running offers? price increase.

That is why @AnthonySmith started the http://lowendspirit.com/ project to be able to provide customers with low end alternative.

• Price of LIR subscription go higher and price per /24 (per 256 ip) go up too.
    Regarding of that's, attribution of subnet is more and more difficult at RIPE.

So provider have a lot of IP in stock but most volume TELCO/ISP need to transfert (buy) from other LIR some subnet and high price

and last but not least speculation and way to get more cash