Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to enterprise networking equipment, need advice setting up networking.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New to enterprise networking equipment, need advice setting up networking.

So, I recently got my hands on a used Aruba 2920 and 2530 48 port switch. I was going to go with a simpler setup for our small office(20 emp) using just retail switches from TP-Link/Ubiquiti but the deal I got was too good to pass up.

Basically, I'm trying to create separate VLANs for the different devices on the office network, like servers, desktops, IP Phones, CCTVs, APs etc. I've read through the Aruba documentation and it seems to be fairly easy to VLAN tag ports but I want to know what else I can do with these switches, considering they seem to run 10-20 times the prices of regular ones, what features do they offer that would help my setup.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Aruba is hp enterprise level stuff so... snmp will most definitely be in there
    As well as probably the option of a dhcp server or 3 (for the different vlans)
    The switched throughput should be quite good as well 100+ gbps .... much better than the Tp-link... although I'm a fan of the ubiquiti unifi stuff

• stratagemstratagem Member, Host Rep

What kind of problems do you want to solve? More throughput? Better security? Better reliability / redundancy?
    There's no use in turning on loads of different features if you're not going to make use of them. They have the same sort of features as most other enterprise level switches but that isn't to say you need those features.

• @chip said: snmp will most definitely be in there

It does have it but I dont know what I can do with this feature. From the little research I did, it seems to be some way to get network analytics. Is that it?

@chip said: option of a dhcp server or 3 (for the different vlans)

I didn't realize this, so are you saying that its better to have the dhcp server for each VLAN be on the switch itself rather than the firewall(pfsense)?

@stratagem said: What kind of problems do you want to solve?

As mentioned in my OP, I dont really have any complex requirements. I just want to have a normal 20 employee office network with separate VLANs, and since I'm new to networking, I don't really know what other features I can use to setup the network to be more reliable/secure/efficient. I see features like Layer 3 routing, ACLs, SNMP etc. which I want to use but not sure how they will help in my case.

• Yes

SNMP = Simple Network Monitoring Protocol .... a way of getting information about the switches performance from it (Snmp isn't just for switches though)

As for DHCP that depends on your configuration you could bundle the cctv cameras in one and mostly cameras get static ip's so no need for dhcp

Dhcp for the pcs could be done from the router and maybe use the switch for a phone vlan?

Or not thats just one way of doing it

You could also use dhcp from the switch for the phones and pc's and and turn it off in the router

Chip

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@chip said:

SNMP = Simple Network Monitoring Protocol .... a way of getting information about the switches performance from it (Snmp isn't just for switches though)

SNMP is deprecated. The IETF is moving to NETCONF and YANG models. They are more expressive and more secure.

Thanked by 1chip