Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

should I use webhosting or VPS for personal blog? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

should I use webhosting or VPS for personal blog?

2»

Comments

• @yoursunny said:

@vyas11 said:

migration is the easier part of the job. Then comes the real work:
    Have the URLs changed during the process?
    How baout integrations with third party apps like Zapier?
    Do the images load correctly?

I would worry about the post migration parts more than the 'where to host' because of the low traffic volume. But I wish you well, whatever the site, is hope you will add more visitors to your site with time.

I write my own templates and rendering scripts and HTTP server configuration, exactly because I need precise control over "migration".
    I started in 2006 with PHP on IIS 5.0, in which the URI structure mostly reflects the file structure.

During my 2017 rebuild, I introduced static site generators, but I had to add PHP scripts so that most of the links in the previous 11 years are still working.

How many push-ups did that require?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • I am using Hexo+netlify for my blog.
    Wordpress is good, but too much and too complicated.
    Git my blog to github and netlify depoly my site.
    no backup, no updates, no downtime.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Lot of replies? Confused?
    Now flip a coin.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @Intelpentium0 said:
    Lot of replies? Confused?
    Now flip a coin.

Its like someone asking “I want to know about this beast called Linux”.... and gets sent to distrowatch instead.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited December 2020

@Daniel15 said:

@vyas11 said: Have the URLs changed during the process?

Cool URIs don't change. Try to avoid changing URLs whenever possible. Definitely don't include things like .php in your URLs as it's ugly and is tightly coupled to one particular technology (PHP). If you must change your URLs, ensure you redirect the old ones using 301 (permanent) redirects, eg in your Nginx config or via a script.

When I first installed PHP on a Windows dedicated server using IIS 5.0, there were no rewrites, so it's /index.php?p=1000. I no longer have that domain, so I don't have to redirect these.

Other than that, most pages on https://yoursunny.com/ since 2006 are still online. There has been changes, but I'm putting 301 redirects as much as possible.

There have been deleted pages. The page needs server side technology or external API that is no longer available, or the effort to re-deploy on current server is too great to justify the value of such old pages. In this case, I would set a 410 status code to indicate it's gone forever.

Google Search Console has been telling me that I have a few pages that are not mobile friendly. These pages were made in 2003, optimized for Windows 98, and put online in 2011 as historic reference. I still fix typos on these pages if reported, but I'm not gonna remake them, and Google's complaint isn't the reason to delete these pages.

I allow myself to use .html and .htm extensions. Since 2011, each PHP page has to go into a directory and be named index.php, so that the canonical URI would be the directory. This does not apply to internal URI used by JavaScript fetch function, and pictures embedded on pages.

I had a few domains other than yoursunny.com. Keeping those URIs running would be significantly more difficult. If I'm no longer paying for the domain, the URIs are gone.

I also have code documentation built with Doxygen or similar tools and published on Netlify. I prefer to use my own subdomains for those, but the URIs still wouldn't stable. The build tools will change URIs as the code evolves. However, I wouldn't worry too much as these visits usually start from the GitHub repository.
    Now if GitHub deadpools…

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • tommmytommmy Member
    edited December 2020

I host a wordpress site with around 40-140 people online at once according to Google Analytics. I am using 1GB plan from BuyVM. It was a hell until I learned about Nginx FastCGI caching.

Then, I have a blog with 200+ views a day hosted on $7/year VPSDime server. I only remember that I have that blog when I receive my domain is gonna expired or when the yearly VPS bill came in😂.

I initially wanted to migrate my small blog to something static. But after thinking, I realized that I'm gonna lose some cool feature that only exists in Wordpress. Also all static blogs look too simple. I decided to keep using Wordpress with amazing themes and plugins. $7 a year isn't much.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • @tommy what is your setup for the vpsdime server? I use webinoly

• I chose VPS.

• @vyas11 said:
    @tommy what is your setup for the vpsdime server? I use webinoly

I think you intended to ask about the first site? I fixed my comment since it was confusing. There are 2 sites mentioned.

I assume you asked for the first one. I installed and configured everythinf manually. Honestly I never heard about webinoly and never knew such thing exist. Perhaps I'll try it one day.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited December 2020

Cool.I had done a couple of installs manually. done a few install using webinoly now thats my poison including in

• @yoursunny said: When I first installed PHP on a Windows dedicated server using IIS 5.0, there were no rewrites, so it's /index.php?p=1000

You could have used Ionic's ISAPI Rewrite Filter, or a wildcard handler :)

Some people still use URLs like that in production. I see it a lot. At least yours are nice today.

Thanked by 2webcraft yoursunny