Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner - Dell - DX181 - Very Old Drives
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner - Dell - DX181 - Very Old Drives

Hi
I already had a ax161 with 3d xpoint ssd and 2x nvme but still decided that need more Server Grade Hardware and decided to order a Dell Dx 181 - AMD EPYC 7502P - with 256 Gb of ram
and 1x nvme 1 tb and 8x 240Gb ssds with raid 10 for Database use.
and almost 300 euro per month .

but the server I got have almost all Ssd drives 50K + hours . See image
what you guys think , will this be reliable then a single new Toshiba nvme ssd or I should stick with this server.

https://imgur.com/a/ksAju7v

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

RAID + backups and don't worry.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • You have raid10, won't that reduce the concern?

Ask them to change the 39% and 69%. You may end up with similar drives with another server anyway.

• @MikeA said: RAID + backups and don't worry.

already have hourly backups.

• @greattomeetyou said: You have raid10, won't that reduce the concern?

Ask them to change the 39% and 69%. You may end up with similar drives with another server anyway.

yes , but isnt unfair ? with Ax 161 - consumer grade servers we are getting newer hardware and new drives( max 6 month old ) while the branded Dell and more costly we are getting 5 years old. is their company and they can do it defiantly , but as consumer point , desktop grade server will be more reliable ? and defiantly less is cost /

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It's acceptable so long as the drives are in good condition.

Alternatively if you want brand new everything on an Epyc I'm sure Hivelocity can hook you up. The price will reflect it.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited December 2020

these Samsung disks are enterprise grade SSDs with a TTBW/lifespan of ~780 TB. the 'worst' one in your screenshot is only at around 210 TB yet...

and for the power on hours... it's an SSD, just electronics, no spinning parts, shouldn't be an issue. real aging only occurs on writing to the cells, other than that you even want them to have power to keep the cells alive and in shape ;-)

I doubt they will change them as they are not defective in any way.
    And if that server is not what you wanted and you're still in the 14 day period after ordering, you can cancel your order at no cost.
    Grab another box with different hardware, 2x1TB NVMe instead maybe?

PS: I would never recommend to go for a single disk/ssd/nvme ever. even a brand new disk can have a production failure, that suddenly makes it die. while your backups might save you then, having your valuable live data on a raid mirror might give you more time to react and properly dump newest live data etc.

Thanked by 2webcraft jar
  • An earlier thread by the OP about "old drives":

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/133513/ovh-sys-old-hard-drives

• Maybe I had bad experience with old drives ?

@angstrom said:
    An earlier thread by the OP about "old drives":

• @karanchoo said:
    Maybe I had bad experience with old drives ?

@angstrom said:

Stop fishing at the bottom of the barrel, and start paying more for new hardware, maybe?

• @karanchoo said:
    Maybe I had bad experience with old drives ?

@angstrom said:

People are telling you the same thing now as they did then.

This said, if you're so worried about "old disks", then pay for new disks.

• God , You cant say anything to hetzner in this forum .

Might be I was unable to explain , I am just asking 2x 1tb Toshiba found in ax161 will be more reliable or 8x 240 Gb Raid 10 with these drives.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited December 2020

@karanchoo said:
    God , You cant say anything to hetzner in this forum .

Might be I was unable to explain , I am just asking 2x 1tb Toshiba found in ax161 will be more reliable or 8x 240 Gb Raid 10 with these drives.

Why ask the question it's like your older post when everyone says it fine your if the age worries you so much open a sale ticket with a other providers asking for new disks the price won't be Hetnzer price.

I don't care about disk age too upto to last month had Dedi server with 4 disk in raid with 2 of the disks over 70k hours.

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited December 2020

@karanchoo said:

These disks are not more likely to break just because they were longer in use. SSDs don't have a mechanical part. It's more likely you reach the ttbw but even that's still a long way to go. I'd take the more old drives and setup proper raid, make backups and everything's good. If one disk break just phone them and they'll replace it very soon, usually.
    It might appear unfair that higher priced products get old hardware but it wouldn't make sense for the company to pull old drives out of running systems (again, these drives are not likely to be defective) to put them into lower priced running systems. This would create a mess and probably decrease the health of the disks further than if you leave them running.

Thanked by 2RedSox ferri
  • Thanks , that's what forums are for.

@webcraft said:

@karanchoo said:

These disks are not more likely to break just because they were longer in use. SSDs don't have a mechanical part. It's more likely you reach the ttbw but even that's still a long way to go. I'd take the more old drives and setup proper raid, make backups and everything's good. If one disk break just phone them and they'll replace it very soon, usually.
    It might appear unfair that higher priced products get old hardware but it wouldn't make sense for the company to pull old drives out of running systems (again, these drives are not likely to be defective) to put them into lower priced running systems. This would create a mess and probably decrease the health of the disks further than if you leave them running.

• In my experience drives either die relatively quickly or are practically bomb proof so these being older and still going is quite a positive thing

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24