Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Searching (small) dedicated for mailserver
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Searching (small) dedicated for mailserver

Hello,

I'm looking for a small dedicated just for mailhosting for handful of users so it doesn't need to have that much ram or storage for around 15 EUR/m.

I don't know if my price expectations are even realistic ?

Thank You,

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Do yourself a favor and check out MXroute instead.

• MaxKVMMaxKVM Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2020

Check Kimsufi for dedis under 20eur. If you need more performance, Hetzner server auction starts around 20eur.

Thanked by 2darkimmortal Chronic
  • Mail server is not very heavy, even a VPS can handle it, esp. for just handful of users. If the number of users is small enough (say, 10), you can use MXroute as @thedp suggested, or Purelymail just for $10/year, no need to manage dedi machine or backup or anything.

Thanked by 2jar Chronic
  • I'm trying to get away from 3rd party hosting, so mxroute wouldn't be an option I guess.
    I guess my best option is kimsufi in that case.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited December 2020

@Brummbaer said: I'm trying to get away from 3rd party hosting, so mxroute wouldn't be an option I guess.

However mailling business is not straight forward, there are many factors in play and there is a chance you will pull your hair out while trying to figure out why the Microsoft is sending your e-mails straight to spam, while they showup in Yahoo and some other big provider totally rejects them. If you gonna use that e-mail for some important stuff the I would suggest actually following @thedp advise and use 3rd party dedicated provider (someone that actually know stuff and is monitoring all the things).

@jar (aka mxroute owner) can tell you more why hosting it solo is a wrong idea, but you know he will be little biased :)

• @MaxKVM said: Hetzner server auction starts around 20eur.

I am confused about Hetzner auctions. My friend showed he is getting lower price on auctions on same server. Also in my case it starts from 28.27 euro. :/

• @Boogeyman said:

@MaxKVM said: Hetzner server auction starts around 20eur.

I am confused about Hetzner auctions. My friend showed he is getting lower price on auctions on same server. Also in my case it starts from 28.27 euro. :/

Check tax, at the top you can select your country.

Thanked by 2Boogeyman Chronic
  • @AC_Fan said: Check tax, at the top you can select your country.

Reduced by few bucks. 24.37 euro now. Thanks :D

• @Brummbaer said:
    I'm trying to get away from 3rd party hosting, so mxroute wouldn't be an option I guess.
    I guess my best option is kimsufi in that case.

It doesn't matter that you explain that you want to host it yourself, here 99% will say that you have to use mxroute because doing it alone is too difficult and so on, I have my personal email on a vps for 6/7 years and I have never had any insurmountable problem, nor it is something I have to think about all day. Maybe the people who say that they have who knows what delivery problems all the time, they have not studied the functioning thoroughly, we are not talking about something extremely complex even if someone wants to make believe that it is a constant commitment to solve problems after problems, it is enough to be aware of how it works.

Thanked by 3MaxKVM angelius Chronic
  • gdarkogdarko Member
    edited December 2020

Prepare to deal with no-sense blacklists if you go self managed mail server route. In the end you will probably switch to specialized provider that know how to deal with the black lists.

If you want server to play around go get it but do yourself a favor and do not use it for mail hosting, use something like mxroute.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited December 2020

Self hosting email is fine in terms of blacklisting - just keep at it for a few months on one IP, and get yourself listed on dnswl.org. I haven’t had any deliverability issues in years, but before dnswl it was whack-a-mole with Google and Microsoft.

I’ve had good experience with Kimsufi for email hosting. Not a use case I’d trust to any VPS provider or managed service - you’re on the right lines looking for a dedi for this purpose

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • any mxroute alternative for the same price or less?

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

@jokotan said:
    any mxroute alternative for the same price or less?

I'm sure there's a ton of alternatives. It just begs the question: Do you want cheap and meh quality, or affordable and good quality?

• Hardly say my current provider is meh for cheap price, but yes in general we should receive more for higher price, like more friendly web interface, more helpful support, etc.

• edited December 2020

I have many clients who have just taken email services from me. They are all big companies with more than 100 email accounts each. I have seen that email is a critical subject and sometimes it is very hard to understand why emails are going to SPAM although gmail/yahoo or many others are accepting them in their inbox. Sometimes, emails are completely filtered.

Last month, one client requested for a economical email service and I purchased hosting service from esteemed seller on LET. Everything was fine and that seller gave me a great support but emails were not working on GSUITE/MSN Commercial emails/etc but they were doing well on gmail/yahoo/others. I tested back again from my expensive server to test whether emails are going and that worked.

Ultimately I purchased MXRoute as that was the only economical option available to me and that worked awesome. eMail Services started working fine. On top of that, I found MXRoute very reasonable.

If you require more space for each mailbox then you would obviously require your custom built. It depends on your business needs.

• Thanks for all the replies and advice here.

I'm really just looking to replace my current dedicated which is a bit overpriced just for mail hosting. I have been hosting my personal mail around 5 years now and never had problems with blacklists. At the beginning I had some problems with microsoft but getting my IP unblocked just took 10 minutes.

So far everything is working as it should and the whole goal in setting up my personal mailserver was to "own" my correspondence so to speak.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @Brummbaer said:
    Thanks for all the replies and advice here.

I'm really just looking to replace my current dedicated which is a bit overpriced just for mail hosting. I have been hosting my personal mail around 5 years now and never had problems with blacklists. At the beginning I had some problems with microsoft but getting my IP unblocked just took 10 minutes.

So far everything is working as it should and the whole goal in setting up my personal mailserver was to "own" my correspondence so to speak.

You can achieve that task via economical VPS service. Dedicated Server is not all important. Cut down your cost with VPS. Buy 512MB/1GB RAM VPS with required space e.g. 10GB or less. It should be economical for you, I believe.

• @Brummbaer said: I have been hosting my personal mail around 5 years now and never had problems with blacklists.

Then you should by all means try to keep your existing IP-Address. It has earned good reputation and thats 90% of the reason why you never had problems.

Thanked by 3abbyck claudio Chronic
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2020

@MaxKVM said: Hetzner server auction starts around 20eur.

That was long time ago! The last few months they start from 25 euros.
    Anyway, you can find Hetzner resellers at similar price or even lower some times!

• @mrTom said:

@Brummbaer said: I have been hosting my personal mail around 5 years now and never had problems with blacklists.

Then you should by all means try to keep your existing IP-Address. It has earned good reputation and thats 90% of the reason why you never had problems.

I think you are right in that, my setup works great and I can always get another server if I really need to.

• Out of curiosity, what software you use for email server?

• @orion504 said:
    Out of curiosity, what software you use for email server?

I'm rolling my own docker containers but might switch to something more integrated like mailcow soon.

Thanked by 3MaxKVM orion504 Chronic
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Brummbaer said:
    Hello,

I'm looking for a small dedicated just for mailhosting for handful of users so it doesn't need to have that much ram or storage for around 15 EUR/m.

I don't know if my price expectations are even realistic ?

Thank You,

Raspberry Pi hosting
    5 eur/m

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • I’m using kimsufi (ks-1) for this.
    I have got 50 customers.
    Also you can use iredmail.

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited December 2020

I see the cult of MXroute is alive and well here. OP is asking for a nice Chinese restaurant and you're all telling him how great the scaloppini is at the Italian place. Sure, they're both going to feed him, but that's clearly not what he wants.