Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how about koofr for personal storage?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how about koofr for personal storage?

I plan to buy their 1TB lifetime plan form stacksocial. does this provider have any drawbacks?

Thanks.

Comments

• It is recommended by @Ympker..

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • You should have got it on BF as it was 40% off.

• I bought it even before this most recent BF back when the 40% off was 80 something, it's since gone up. I had previously bought Icedrive on Appsumo because of them also pressing the privacy focus. IceDrive has been a letdown for me..despite being privacy focused they supposedly scan the hashes of the files you upload to check for copyright violations, and they're removing webdav support because "reasons" and now you have to use their closed source client...but Koofr has been great with webdav and everything I've thrown at it. I really can recommend it! You can even upgrade to 2.5tb lifetime down the line if you need it.

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • @buzzyLET said:
    I bought it even before this most recent BF back when the 40% off was 80 something, it's since gone up. I had previously bought Icedrive on Appsumo because of them also pressing the privacy focus. IceDrive has been a letdown for me..despite being privacy focused they supposedly scan the hashes of the files you upload to check for copyright violations, and they're removing webdav support because "reasons" and now you have to use their closed source client...but Koofr has been great with webdav and everything I've thrown at it. I really can recommend it! You can even upgrade to 2.5tb lifetime down the line if you need it.

thanks for the good review.

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

@jpeng said:
    I plan to buy their 1TB lifetime plan form stacksocial. does this provider have any drawbacks?

Lifetime hosting? It is not sustainable...

• @chocolateshirt said:
    It is recommended by @Ympker..

Thanks for the mention :) Very snappy performance and comfortable to use. Recommended :)

@vyas11 and some others use it, too.
    Servers are hosted with Hetzner iirc.

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • @NetDynamics24 said:

@jpeng said:

Lifetime hosting? It is not sustainable...

If it was the only source of income, yes. But they also have monthly/yearly plans :)

@Ympker said:
    If it was the only source of income, yes. But they also have monthly/yearly plans :)

Any link to see their plans?

• @NetDynamics24 said:

@Ympker said:

Any link to see their plans?

Quite decent if you want a not-unlimited storage alternative to Google Drive with servers and company in the EU.

For e.g. the 100GB plan quite the fair pricing imho.

https://koofr.eu/pricing/

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Happy Koofr lifetime customer here. I like it.

As for "lifetime": Just look at it as if it was a 5 year plan. Still a good price for a fine service.

@jsg said:

As for "lifetime": Just look at it as if it was a 5 year plan. Still a good price for a fine service.

Yes but if you keep it for 10-15 years, they just lose money.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@NetDynamics24 said:

@jsg said:

Yes but if you keep it for 10-15 years, they just lose money.

Do they really?

I guess they have looked at and calculated
    (a) actual real use vs theoretical quantities. Example I only have a tiny 25 GB plan yet I actually use only a tiny fraction of that (due to what I got and use that service for).
    (b) evolution of costs both of storage devices and traffic.

And even if they went bankrupt after say 12.5 years (middle between your 10 - 15) so what, I'd still had a good deal plus they were honest ("lifetime", in that case theirs).

• I've been using them for over a year and I would highly recommend them to anyone.
    I have a single issue and that is their web video player performance which has stuttering issues with high-quality 60fps video.
    Other than that, stellar performance and support from their Team.

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited December 2020

@Ympker said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    It is recommended by @Ympker..

Thanks for the mention :) Very snappy performance and comfortable to use. Recommended :)

@vyas11 and some others use it, too.
    Servers are hosted with Hetzner iirc.

Indeed being using koofr for over 3 years now, 2 yrs as paid user most of it for Lifetime storage plan. We use it extensively for moving our media files for podcasts. Between creators, narrators, editors and the like.
    It is one if the easier tools to use, with multiple options - apps to rclone. Dropbox/ /outlook integration helps.

Coming to lifetime: we buy “lofetime” plans with a three year time horizon with expected ROI by year 2....

But it is totally as per your needs/ comfort level.

Reg storage capacity utilisation: typically we are at 55-60 percent of available storage space , maximum was 90 percent last month for three weeks. Koofr has a duplicate finder also that cleaned up things and we are down to 80 percent now

Thanked by 2Ympker jpeng
  • CMSAVE40 code is still working

Thanked by 3desperand jpeng vyas11
  • desperanddesperand Member
    edited December 2020

@jpeng said: I plan to buy their 1TB lifetime plan form stacksocial. does this provider have any drawbacks?

Yes, few.

1.) speeds vary, someday can be stable gigabyte, someday around 30-50 mbit/s (depends)

2.) sharing features limited, you can't share direct links to exe, zip, RAR files without a password. Which a problematic, but I totally understand why they did it (for avoiding warez sharing). But you can share folders, which is great.

3.) their windows app - sucks, really awful.

4.) their android app - good, not awesome, but at least good.

5.) Their pricing model - fair. I mean not cheapest (except lifetime options) but fair, and transparent. I really like a transparent business.

6.) Their support page - awesome. https://koofr.eu/help/ I have some own markers about shit services and great services. Documentation and support some of the key factors of motivation and attention of owners to the client. This marker by the link above saying too many things about the owner, that they care, and that they manage things. Also, I contacted them several times on Reddit and on GitHub, and even via mails, always got answers. Which is great.

7.) They have normal WebDAV integration and integration with clone like tools. Which is great too.

8.) I don't use their integration with google one, or one drive, I really don't care, but I heard many people like that thing while I'm not.

9.) Their control panel and file manipulation great. Only missing folder sizes in their CP.

10.) I got a lifetime package too, even if it will die in 1 hour, I will not regret it, because it's worth the price that I paid the space that I got.

Also, I got icedrive.
    I moved some tb data there, and I like the interface, I like their apps, I like their control panel, but I do not really like owner behavior around the internet and how he painfully react to any criticism or even fake reviews.

Speeds vary, sometimes great, sometimes awful (related to encryption).
    After moving a lot of data to icedrive via webdav, and when they sent an email that they shutdown webdav, this news disappoints me too much.

Also, worth to mention about fex.net
    2 euro / mo for 1TB - great price.
    But their services, support, their bugs, problems and bla bla bla will force you to worry.
    Also, no apps, only web panel, which is really awful, that you can't take all of your data normally automatically like other storages offer, only file by file.

• I also bought this plan (to replace the zoolz lifetime plan which turned out to have a limited lifetime) and so far its great. Didnt try all the features and mainly use the webinterface, but it always works the way I expect it to.

Thanked by 2desperand jpeng
  • I have no need to use their app and prefer rclone. Had no problems with that. From a privacy standpoint or especially a lowend standpoint running it on some server, rclone is much preferable!

• @desperand 's review is really good. thanks for the details. I have bought their lifetime 1t storage.

Thanked by 1desperand
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I can't imagine why I would need TB storage on a remote server.
    I have about 200GB total data, mostly photos. I just copy them between two spinning rusts, one of which is offline to protect from computer virus.

I'm using @bacloud free 10GB Nextcloud since last year. It works but is becoming slower.

• @yoursunny said:
    I have about 200GB total data, mostly photos. I just copy them between two spinning rusts, one of which is offline to protect from computer virus.

I'm using @bacloud free 10GB Nextcloud since last year. It works but is becoming slower.

you can use allsync.com 's 50gb nextcloud storage, which is quite cheap (0.xx eur per year). and is solid.

Thanked by 1raynor
  • user123user123 Member
    edited December 2020

@jpeng said:

@yoursunny said:

you can use allsync.com 's 50gb nextcloud storage, which is quite cheap (0.xx eur per year). and is solid.

Very interesting. They charge 0.96EUR/year for the 50GB plan (Basic), while the 500GB plan (Pro) is almost 40x as much. I can't find any other difference between the two plans. Their FAQ has this pearl, "Is there bandwidth limits? There is no limits, you can use unlimited bandwidth. Abusing our bandwidth = Account banned."

For less than 1EUR/year for 50GB, I'm tempted to get a subscription xD.

• @user123 said:

@jpeng said:

@yoursunny said:

Very interesting. They charge 0.96EUR/year for the 50GB plan (Basic), while the 500GB plan (Pro) is almost 40x as much. I can't find any other difference between the two plans. Their FAQ has this pearl, "Is there bandwidth limits? There is no limits, you can use unlimited bandwidth. Abusing our bandwidth = Account banned."

I am their user for long days. the 50gb plan has only one disadvantage: you can't upload file to them via curl larger than 250MB. but rclone can.

And I have 30% discount for their pro plan, could PM me if you have the interest.

Thanked by 1user123
  • @jpeng said:

@user123 said:

@jpeng said:

@yoursunny said:

I am their user for long days. the 50gb plan has only one disadvantage: you can't upload file to them via curl larger than 250MB. but rclone can.

And I have 30% discount for their pro plan, could PM me if you have the interest.

Can you upload via SFTP or is web/app the only way to upload with a GUI? I never figured out rclone.

• Can you upload via SFTP or is web/app the only way to upload with a GUI? I never figured out rclone.

I am using rclone with allsync happily.

• @jpeng said:

Can you upload via SFTP or is web/app the only way to upload with a GUI? I never figured out rclone.

I am using rclone with allsync happily.

they are just nextcloud... as far as I know, rclone supports nextcloud well.