Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is good domain TLD for personal use
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which is good domain TLD for personal use

Can anyone suggest me which TLD is good & cheap for personal use .im or .biz [ dot IM or dot BIZ].

Comments

• .info

• I like .pw

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2013

That depends on which extensions you have available, but preferably one included in this list:
    https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/1347922

.pw is crap SEO-whise and no one is going to find your blog/website if you aren't BIG.

• .me

• I prefer the local country tld. Lastname.country is a perfect personal domain :)

• .me
    .info
    .org

• .org is expensive to renew same with .net

What are cheap registrars for some personal tlds? I hate paying $10 / yr / domain for a small personal blog

• I have .pw for mine, because that was the only one available for my last name. I got it from NameCheap and it was only $3.98 for the first year.

• @Magiobiwan said:
    I have .pw for mine, because that was the only one available for my last name. I got it from NameCheap and it was only $3.98 for the first year.

Is it Obiwan?

• @bashed said:
    .org is expensive to renew same with .net

What are cheap registrars for some personal tlds? I hate paying $10 / yr / domain for a small personal blog

I use my .net for almost everything, I wouldn't call it expensive to renew, none of the 3 main gTLDs are that expensive anymore. I don't think I've had to pay full price for a renewal yet, NameCheap/Name/GD(sometimes) will usually have a sale or twitter contest during the year and I renew for $1.

• @sundaymouse said:
    Is it Obiwan?

That's awesome name then. Obiwan Kenobi. ;D

• .cc

• I really like .me but it's kinda expensive.

• .com is always my first choice, .me is second.

• Thanks for great views.

• @Nyr said:
    .pw is crap SEO-whise and no one is going to find your blog/website if you aren't BIG.

I like .pw because it has more available domains then something like .com. Plus, it's explainable to say why you use .pw ("it stands for professional web" aka Palau) unlike something similar to .co or .cc. Personal preference I guess.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2013

skybucks100 said: "it stands for professional web"

No, it really doesn't. That's something cunning people who want your money have contrived out of thin air. You aren't going to look "professional" neither when using the .pw domain, nor when trying to "explain" (aka excuse) your use of it to others. But then again this topic is about personal use domains, so it doesn't matter as much.

• @rm_ said:
    No, it really doesn't. That's something people who want your money have contrived out of thin air. You aren't going to look "professional" neither when using the .pw domain, nor when trying to "explain" (aka excuse) your use of it to people. But then again this topic is about personal use domains, so it doesn't matter as much.

I know, that's what the quotes are for, .PW really stands for Palau that's why I said aka.

• If you live in Australia .id.au is a good one..

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

Can anyone suggest me which TLD is good & cheap for personal use

Depends on what you call cheap and what you mean by 'good'.

Several 'country' domains have a 2nd level for personal/individual use - like .me.uk for example - generally available for £8 or less for 2 years

None of the main gTLDs are particularly expensive (compared to most ccTLDs)

If it's not for 'business' use then dont go for .biz (technically you wouldn't qualify for registering one) as it'll confuse people

.im is OK, we have several clients using it for their live-chat (using it as an abbreviate of instant-message)

.me got a lot of popularity when Montenegro opened the ccTLD up for anyone to register

IMHO nothing beats having the .com or .co.uk if you can get it though :)

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@skybucks100 said:
    I like .pw because it has more available domains then something like .com.

Yeah, but there are ccTLD'S used more generically and with a better value if you want a website.

If not, any ccTLD is as valid as .pw. There are cheap extensions with many more available domains than the over-marketed .pw.

• If you can grab, .com is still the best.
    If your budget allows .me .io .sh (backsla.sh) .tt (ma.tt) are also nice choices.. Be creative with your name and extensions as may seem fit..

• @Nyr said:
    If not, any ccTLD is as valid as .pw. There are cheap extensions with many more available domains than the over-marketed .pw.

Ya, for some reason I just like the look of .PW. For the record, a few of my other favorites are, .RE .RU and .IM.