Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Petition to stop CentOS from being used as RHEL upstream - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Petition to stop CentOS from being used as RHEL upstream

2»

Comments

• creepcreep Member
    edited December 2020

petition for fill in the blank to support Debian.

Thoughts?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @raindog308 said:
    I dunno...having used both RHEL and CentOS, I deeply want both of them to fail.

I was once an RHCE for a large Australian company. Even started down the path of RHCA. Before, at the time, and ever since I have been a Debian user at home/privately. RH have some interesting and useful tools but the entire suite never quite sat right with me.

• This whole thing proved NOT TO SUPPORT / USE any Corporate backed distro / resources henceforth. Ultimately you will be used as Guinea pig for years and then they will pull the plug one day leaving the whole community to either (70%) purchase their product or adapt (and learn) new OS.

I'm glad I'm with Debian since last 15 years, started off with Slackware but ever since for servers, I have been with Debian.

I just also pray and wish the evil eyes do not plague the Debian world.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited December 2020

I saw an article about it on Ars Technica this morning, CentOS Linux is dead—and Red Hat says Stream is “not a replacement”
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/12/centos-shifts-from-red-hat-unbranded-to-red-hat-beta/

If you scroll down the article, you will see further discussion, "A possible rebirth as Rocky Linux"

When I was looking for the link to the article so I could post it here, I found a later article, Where do I go now that CentOS Linux is gone? Check our list:
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/12/centos-linux-is-gone-but-its-refugees-have-alternatives/

I use both CentOS (Red Hat) and Debian/Ubuntu because they have different approaches to Linux distros, especially package management, and I wanted to learn both.

I am not sure it is time to conclude that Debian and its derivatives "win", but it smells like that. I wonder what others think.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@MaxKVM said:

More than a few sysadmins managing tens/hundreds/thousands of machines on CentOS might disagree with you on this point. Support for CentOS 8 through 2029 has just been cut short to the end of 2021. This isn't nothing.

They shouldn't have promised 2029 maintenance.

Quote on legacy code:

The stallion coder doesn't deal with legacy code. I rewrite all of them every year.
    Dependants? It's your problem. I gave you 30-day notice on deprecations, and then it's removed. You are supposed to rewrite dependant code every year, too.

Thanked by 1MaxKVM
  • jhjh Member

What happened to Scientific Linux? Haven't heard that project mentioned in some time.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@yoursunny said: The stallion coder doesn't deal with legacy code.

True, I EOL'd all of OpenVZ.

Francisco

Thanked by 2yoursunny eva2000
  • @Francisco said:

@yoursunny said: The stallion coder doesn't deal with legacy code.

True, I EOL'd all of OpenVZ.

Francisco

Fuck OversoldVZ.

Francisco