Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Namesilo registrar to be bought by Dutch company for $30 Million - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Namesilo registrar to be bought by Dutch company for $30 Million

2»

Comments

• @JasonM said:

@tommmy said: The movie company obtained the name of the site’s alleged operator from Namecheap, in response to a DMCA notice.

that was because the makers of the movie “Hellboy” filed a complaint at a Hawaii federal court and then approached to Namecheap with DMCA.

In such cases ANY registrar (at least withing U.S.) will have to comply notice and release the name of the registrant. Even offshore registrar Shiniju/ilovewww complys to infringement notices when approached in Malaysian court.

I was earlier referencing to random DMCA notices sent to registrars, without court proceedings/order.

Oh. Fair enough. Anyway, is there any case related to Shinjiru that you know? I am just curious because I never heard any.

• @JasonM said:
    No Porkbun or Dynadot.

Porkbun "suspends" your domain directly the moment Google marks your site un-safe in their Safe Browsing report! Porkbun has confirmed it officially on another forum that they suspend domain relying on Google safe browsing reports. So if you accidentally install a malacious wordpress plugin, Google finds that file and markes your domain un-safe, and BAM! You domain gets suspended by registrar!

It was this forum and you're out of date. They stopped doing that after it was brought up here, on LET.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I would miss NameSilo's 1990s interface.

• @0xbkt said: do you know anything about Epik.com?

epik is in favor of free-speech. And Rob Monster, its owner is quite a popular guy among domainers! I've not come across any public accusation about epik suspending domains for DMCA/infringement. There are few cases listed on namepros, but the registry suspended the domains thru epik. Not epik themselves!

• MINIMAN10000MINIMAN10000 Member
    edited December 2020

@JasonM said:
    Cloudflare also seems cheap! But still you can only transfer domains to them, plus its mandatory to use their DNS hosting, you can't use your own namesevers/thrid-party nameservers. Also you can't register new domains. (I don't know if they opened new registrations recently, couldn't find the link)

I'm amused that you say cheap because they sell without profit. They sell domains at cost.

If they were and "cheaper" they would literally be paying for your domain name.

• @TimboJones said:

@JasonM said:
    No Porkbun or Dynadot.

Porkbun "suspends" your domain directly the moment Google marks your site un-safe in their Safe Browsing report! Porkbun has confirmed it officially on another forum that they suspend domain relying on Google safe browsing reports. So if you accidentally install a malacious wordpress plugin, Google finds that file and markes your domain un-safe, and BAM! You domain gets suspended by registrar!

It was this forum and you're out of date. They stopped doing that after it was brought up here, on LET.

Indeed they stopped doing this under peer pressure here. That was an interesting discussion nevertheless.

• @MINIMAN10000 said: I'm amused that you say cheap because they sell without profit. They sell domains at cost.

Even if they sell domains at cost without profit, there are few registrars who sell cheaper than them! That's the reason I said cloudflare is cheap and not the cheapest!

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @JasonM said: epik is in favor of free-speech.

epik seems nice, but their pricing is expensive (but not for .com it seems)

• @raindog308 said: I would miss NameSilo's 1990s interface.

That's now a hybrid. 1990 in 2020 in same frame.

@JasonM said: epik is in favor of free-speech. And Rob Monster, its owner is quite a popular guy among domainers! I've not come across any public accusation about epik suspending domains for DMCA/infringement. There are few cases listed on namepros, but the registry suspended the domains thru epik. Not epik themselves!

They even defended gab.com when godaddy was throwing it out from the basket. KW "Gab.com godaddy epik". The story was really interesting.

@JasonM said: Even if they sell domains at cost without profit, there are few registrars who sell cheaper than them! That's the reason I said cloudflare is cheap and not the cheapest!

.com is out of question in here. They will try to take the profit next year. Cloudflare is selling on the price they are getting from registry. But not all tlds. I saw in some registrar some tlds are cheaper than other registrar as some registry have their own registrar. So basically they(registry) are in charge and they can do whatever they want.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @Boogeyman said: So basically they(registry) are in charge and they can do whatever they want.

Yup! Registry offer special promo to certain registrars for promoting their TLDs below the wholesale cost/registry price. That's the reason various registrars offer different pricing many a times lower than cost price. Best examples are .XYZ, .TOP, .CO. Verisign (registry) also offers such promotional price like $4.99 .com for 1st year in some Asian markets!

• Namesilo.com is not the same registrar or same people that werw running it.

I had very good experience with them since 2016 until this week when they were gone nuts and refused a payout for marketplace domain name sale saying that there will be investigation because a domain name registered two months ago cannot be sold for $2900.

Asking me to hold until 60 days have been passed, while in terms of service they clearly says after 7 days you are eligible to cash out funds.

• I took a poke through this thread and seems I may have nothing to worry about (unless I missed something). I use Namesilo and have 4 domains there. Mostly for DNSSEC because Namecheap wouldn't do it for all of them. I use CloudFlare for DNS though.

• BertieBertie Member
    edited December 2020

I find Epik's support to be pretty terrible to be honest. Like their stance on free speech is definitive, but I found it difficult even to communicate basic payment issues to them and not get back some kind of form response.

Namesilo.com is not the same registrar or same people that werw running it.

In March, I emailed them asking to adjust their .ca pricing in light of the USD/CAD rally. Their CEO responded within an hour reducing the price to what was charged by CIRA with their usual markup.

I emailed them a few days ago about an issue with WHOIS and they got it squared away within an hour.

This is not to invalidate your own bad experiences - I wouldn't trust NameSilo's marketplace either really...

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @Bertie said: In March, I emailed them asking to adjust their .ca pricing in light of the USD/CAD rally. Their CEO responded within an hour reducing the price to what was charged by CIRA with their usual markup.

I emailed them a few days ago about an issue with WHOIS and they got it squared away within an hour.

Indeed Namesilo's support is (still) good and prompt, just like Namecheap.
    I'm not aware of their marketplace though.

• @JasonM any thought bout regery.com?
    Thanks

• Nigeria Prince ?

• @ferri said: any thought bout regery.com?

they are new and famous registrar from Ukraine. Quite cheap on one-year promo.
    But their T&C states in clause 15: To the extent Regery receives a proper notice of infringement of copyright, trademark or other intellectual property, Regery reserves the right to access, preserve and disclose to third parties any of Your information or data (including personally identifiable information and private communications) related to a written complaint of infringement if Regery believes in its sole discretion that such access, preservation, or disclosure is necessary or useful to respond to or otherwise address such complaint.

that means they'll share ALL of your personal information to the complainant! so beware!

Thanked by 2ferri user123
  • @JasonM said: that means they'll share ALL of your personal information to the complainant! so beware!

Thanks for that :)