Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner PX vs EX and AX Lines. Server brand rack vs Desktop OEM hardware?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner PX vs EX and AX Lines. Server brand rack vs Desktop OEM hardware?

Hi,

On Hetzner website says the PX-Line uses “brand name hardware” and I not sure where I read some time ago that the PX-Line servers where build using “real” branded server hardware racks and that the EX and AX Lines are build using OEM consumer desktop tower hardware.

Is this correct?

I’m asking because I need to buy a dedicated server and top priority is reliability. Can also anyone share their own experience with reliability of the PX lines vs the EX and AX lines?

@Hetzner_OL

Comments

• Correct. PX line uses high quality server hardware while the other brands use off the shelf consumer components. Thats all.

• @fLoo said:
    Correct. PX line uses high quality server hardware while the other brands use off the shelf consumer components. Thats all.

Thanks for the info. So the PX line, at least in theory, is more realiable than the EX and AX lines.

• @nqservices said:
    Thanks for the info. So the PX line, at least in theory, is more realiable than the EX and AX lines.

Correct.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2020

@nqservices said:

@fLoo said:
    Correct. PX line uses high quality server hardware while the other brands use off the shelf consumer components. Thats all.

Pretty loose theory though. Most of the servers no one ever sees on the MXroute status page are AX lines. The lines have begun to blur a lot more these days.

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • @jar said:

@nqservices said:

@fLoo said:

Pretty loose theory though. Most of the servers no one ever sees on the MXroute status page are AX lines. The lines have begun to blur a lot more these days.

And still, nqservices is correct with what he says. If he want max reliability, PX-Line is the way to go.

edited December 2020

@fLoo said: And still, nqservices is correct with what he says. If he want max reliability, PX-Line is the way to go.

Oh? I'd like to see the numbers proving it beyond the theory based on marketing :)

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • Hi @jar

So you have been having bad experience with AX Line reliablitity? Are you using their EX line? If yes, can you please tell why and share you experience?

Thanks!

• I am using EX/AX/PX servers and the only problem i have is cooling problems. It look likes after two/three years the cpu fan need to be replaced.

The consumer vs enterprise hardware theory is valid for the EX vs PX line. The AX line is mixed hardware. Some models have ECC memory and/or enterprise disks.

@nqservices said:
    Hi @jar

So you have been having bad experience with AX Line reliablitity? Are you using their EX line? If yes, can you please tell why and share you experience?

Thanks!

No problems :)

• @rick2610 said: It look likes after two/three years the cpu fan need to be replaced.

True, I have a server from them just for several moths and have it replaced last week.

• @Roldan said:

@rick2610 said: It look likes after two/three years the cpu fan need to be replaced.

True, I have a server from them just for several moths and have it replaced last week.

And both of you notice the fan issue by looking at the CPU temperature and seeing that was high? Or do you use some other tool to check for fan and other hardware related issues? Thanks

• I just observe the server to be very slow in all task, and I ask hetzner support what could be the problem with my hardware and they check and saw the fan stop working.
    Replaced and all good again.

• I monitor my log with "Temperature above threshold"