Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lean Windows VM for graphic application ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lean Windows VM for graphic application ?

romanzromanz Member
edited December 2020 in General

Looking for a way to run several copies of Windows 7 or 10 VM.

It will run a single application that requires Win7 or later, locks up on start in Wine, does not start 2nd copy in Windows Sandbox or Sandboxie. I suspect application uses sockets for IPC, sockets are not virtualized by sandbox. So better virtualization is needed, perhaps Docker (how to run graphic app in Docker?) Or VirtualBox?

I have plenty of RAM, 64GB, but weak CPU Ryzen 5 2400G so I am trying to determine how to approach this with minimum impact on CPU and minimum Windows licenses required.

Comments

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Can you tell us more about this graphics app? What is it? Not everything runs on Docker, especially graphics-wise.

• Virtual box if you had to, VMWare workstation if you can buy a license. You'll need a license per Windows VM. Or skip Virtual box and VMware and go for Windows Server Standard, where AFAIK you get the installed OS plus two activated Standard VM's for a total of three Windows instances.

Knowing how long you need to run this for and your budget will give better answers. You really haven't provided much details.