Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS volume group has no free space
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS volume group has no free space

dhamaniasaddhamaniasad Member
edited November 2013 in Help

I have a volume group on a CentOS server which has a nearly 500 GB physical volume added to it. Now the problem is, even after all of that space is free, this is the condition of the volume group.

vgdisplay vg
--- Volume group ---
VG Name vg
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 4
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 3
Open LV 3
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 465.50 GiB
PE Size 32.00 MiB
Total PE 14896
Alloc PE / Size 14896 / 465.50 GiB
Free PE / Size 0 / 0
VG UUID co3jPt-pvmR-09JO-QJvk-ifLu-u0gu-GltBCj

Also,

gs -o +vg_free_count,vg_extent_count
VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree Free #Ext
vg 1 3 0 wz--n- 465.50g 0 0 14896

There is no VFree and I am unable to use the volume group for adding KVM vm's to.
I have never faced this problem before, and so I have no idea whatsoever of what I should do.
How do I solve this problem?

Comments

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

Is this a newly formatted server? If so, you need to reformat and set the necessary diskspace you need for your root partition leaving the rest free in the volume group

• @ExpertVM said:
    Is this a newly formatted server? If so, you need to reformat and set the necessary diskspace you need for your root partition leaving the rest free in the volume group

Yes, it is a newly formatted server, there are three partitions IIRC, one for the boot, one for something else, and then around 465 GB for the root partition, which belongs to the volumegroup.

• How did you add the extra 500gb? pvcreate w/ vgextend?

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2013

@dhamaniasad said:

You should put around 80-100GB for your root partition. After which, you will be left with the remaining space on the VolumeGroup

• c0yc0y Member
    edited November 2013

It's your /home partition

$ lvdisplay

OR

$ df -h

Then lvremove /dev/mapper/<Insert name>

• @SegmentationFault said:
    How did you add the extra 500gb? pvcreate w/ vgextend?

Actually, I did not do it manually, I was trying out Virtualizor and their setup script did all the configuration, and it was supposed to start working immediately afterward. Too bad, huh?

@ExpertVM said:
    You should put around 80-100GB for your root partition. After which, you will be left with the remaining space on the VolumeGroup

Actually, the complete partition with 465 GB storage(/dev/sda2) was the /root partition. And the complete logical volume belonged to the volumegroup.

@Frost said:
    It's your /home partition

$ lvdisplay

OR

$ df -h

Then lvremove /dev/mapper/<Insert name>

Ended up formatting my server, its provisioning Ubuntu right now. After that, I'll be installing Feathur on the server, which is supposed to setup the VG for me automatically. Lets see how that goes.

• Ian_Ian_ Member
    edited November 2013

Well with virtualizor solus and even feathur you just need to make a empty LVM Group and thats it if your running going run KVM Xen.