Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you keep track of your servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you keep track of your servers?

After an intense BF deals season, I am sure most of you have a new fleet of idle VPS waiting for some use. But, how do you keep track of them?

An old-school Excel spreadsheet would probably suffice but I am sure there's a better approach to keep your server details (passwords, SSH keys, IP addresses, specs, renewal date, uptime, purpose) in one place.

A Keepass database might do the trick too.

What do you use in your case?

Comments

• Ansible

• Excel.

IP  Name    Container(s)    Vendor  Price   Expires RAM Storage CPU (bold=dedicated)    BW  IPv6    DDoS    HV  OS  Location    $/yr    Comment     Target      DC

Thanked by 1PhantomPain
  • I dont.. I recently found my annual server again.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

You don't :joy: That's why some of them is idling because I might forgot it exists until the next bill came,

• @FAT32 said:
    You don't :joy: That's why some of them is idling because I might forgot it exists until the next bill came,

That's what I thought :joy:
    I'd like to keep my sanity tho

• If you are from Russia then you don't need to because in Soviet Russia, servers track you.

Thanked by 1lokuzard
  • I use KeePassXC. Premium product.

• Excel it is. With renewal date in bold red

• @vyas11 said:
    Excel it is. With renewal date in bold red

I use conditional formatting if cell value less than =TODAY()+45

• Postgresql

• raynorraynor Member
    edited November 2020

Mindmap and git project with configs

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Notion

• @Pixels said:

A Keepass database might do the trick too.

Exactly this, and a reminder in my phone calendar for renewing 'important' ones.

• custom dash
    dash 1 = 784 servers
    dash 2 = 549 servers

Im actually trying to think of new way, or redesign my app.

• I'm using DomainMOD.

Pretty good so far.

https://demo.domainmod.org/

Thanked by 2azeem jetchirag
  • Should probably grab another VPS to run a database for this.

Thanked by 3user123 cece 479555
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited November 2020

I limit myself to 10 boxes (both paid and free), named as vps0-vps9. If one is canceled and expired, I'm allowed to order another. Currently I have 7 in use.

Previously, these were entered into DNS as A and AAAA records.
    Last month, I deleted them from DNS to reduce clutter in Cloudflare control panel, but I entered the information in ~/.ssh/config, with provider name in the comment.

As for SolusVM username, I rely on browser autofill, and search my inbox if necessary. Password is the same, and you can find that by searching this forum.

Setup steps are in textfiles saved on Nextcloud.

Thanked by 1Pixels