Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPSslim - BF VPS Review 8GB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPSslim - BF VPS Review 8GB

sgno1sgno1 Member
edited November 2020 in Reviews

Specifications:

RAM: 8.00 GB
CPU: 4v Cores @ Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU ???
Disk: 300 GB SSD

DDoS Protection

Internet Speed Test

Testing download speed..........................
Download: 55.85 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed...............................
Upload: 104.95 Mbit/s

Disk Speed Test

root@ubuntu:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/output conv=fdatasync bs=384k count=1k; rm -f /tmp/output
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
402653184 bytes (403 MB, 384 MiB) copied, 26.2747 s, 15.3 MB/s

Overall experience:

VPS was activated yesterday, support hasn't been that fast. I was stuck since last night going through corrupt Ubuntu ISOs only to hear back:

The node is in mdcheck (raid check) finishes asap and then should be back to normal.

Not sure what that means (not too technical).

Finally got a working version of Debian loaded and those are the results, can't say I expected anything greater since it is an oversold service after all. But was hoping for equivalent speeds of Contabo (or alternatives).

Their reasoning for slow write/read i/o speeds and slow internet speeds:

Working on disk and internet speed test. We limited the disk i/o on speedtest command as everybody seems to be doing these constantly.

Thanked by 1FrankZ

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

For SSD disks the speed is very slow, are you sure that you do have VPS with SSD drive?

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • @WebProject said:
    For SSD disks the speed is very slow, are you sure that you do have VPS with SSD drive?

Yep, that's what was mentioned in the BF thread which I ordered.
    Not sure why they would need to cap speeds? My honest bet at the moment is that it is heavily oversold.

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

Thanks for the review!

But the disk speed is unacceptable. Please PM me your invoice number you have with us and I will look into it right away as that can't be right. Thanks!

• sgno1sgno1 Member
    edited November 2020

@VPSSLIM said:
    Thanks for the review!

But the disk speed is unacceptable. Please PM me your invoice number you have with us and I will look into it right away as that can't be right. Thanks!

Did send, still see no improvement since I was advised to wait by your colleague quite a while ago. Not sure how long this wait exactly is.

• Ended up getting a refund instead, it has been 48 hours and they still cannot fix their corrupt OS problem. Plus if you do manage to get passed their corrupt OS phase, you'll be hit with capped disk and net speeds. Didn't expect much but was hoping to at least be able to start the VPS xD

• Didnt @SCAM_DONT_BUY and @tester4 warn u about this company??

• How much did you pay for this VPS?

• @VPSSLIM said:
    Thanks for the review!

My openvz2 disk is fast. I think people just constantly benchmarking their vps.

• To be fair, I note that their 4G KVM has good performance. Yes, there were problems with starting the OS, but the last reinstallation helped. I will assume that a lot depends on the node, as well as that now there are massive reinstallations and benchmarking of sold VMs.
    I benchmarked yesterday after topiсstarter posts.

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-11-20                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Sun Nov 29 15:41:53 EST 2020

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU cores  : 2 @ 2599.998 MHz
    AES-NI     : ❌ Disabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 3.9 GiB
    Swap       : 4.0 GiB
    Disk       : 143.8 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 71.40 MB/s   (17.8k) | 612.48 MB/s   (9.5k)
    Write      | 71.59 MB/s   (17.8k) | 615.71 MB/s   (9.6k)
    Total      | 143.00 MB/s  (35.7k) | 1.22 GB/s    (19.1k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 640.60 MB/s   (1.2k) | 603.85 MB/s    (589)
    Write      | 674.63 MB/s   (1.3k) | 644.07 MB/s    (628)
    Total      | 1.31 GB/s     (2.5k) | 1.24 GB/s     (1.2k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 935 Mbits/sec   | 854 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 928 Mbits/sec   | 655 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | busy            | busy
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | busy            | busy
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 890 Mbits/sec   | 399 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 833 Mbits/sec   | 411 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 841 Mbits/sec   | 284 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 542
    Multi Core      | 1044
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5068979

• Is IPv6 working for anyone? I can't even ping the gateway they configured in my VPS. The ticket I opened on Friday hasn't been answered yet.

• sgno1sgno1 Member
    edited November 2020

@snt said:
    Didnt @SCAM_DONT_BUY and @tester4 warn u about this company??

I got my refund request so I'm not too bothered, wanted to see what it was all about. Just hoping that I do end up getting the money back.

@alilet said:
    How much did you pay for this VPS?

Like $8

@_Nic said:
    To be fair, I note that their 4G KVM has good performance. Yes, there were problems with starting the OS, but the last reinstallation helped. I will assume that a lot depends on the node, as well as that now there are massive reinstallations and benchmarking of sold VMs.
    I benchmarked yesterday after topiсstarter posts.

Not sure what you are benchmarking but speeds are horrible. If there is a log somewhere you can see I reinstalled the OS over 15 times. Tried all Ubuntu & Debian versions they had.

• @snt said:

They did :-) Thanks to them btw again

• @snt said:

Yes, I posted about 20 warnings over the past few months but people still tried for a deal. The few that did end up with their orders with decent speeds, give it a month before you are getting 2 MB/s I/O on an 'SSD' VPS.

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • @ume said:
    Is IPv6 working for anyone? I can't even ping the gateway they configured in my VPS. The ticket I opened on Friday hasn't been answered yet.

They said they are working on it. Should have it today.

They didn't specify if it would be manual or DHCPv6/SLAAC though, as it is not specified anywhere on their panel.

Thanked by 1sgno1