Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 VPS

I got a VPS with IPv6 on BF sale but I don't really know how to make that thing usable as I am naive to this protocol and only used to IPv4. Also, I don't have any IPv6 address on my pc so that might be the drawback I believe here. Can you please guide me to make that thing usable? Any tutorials/information/material will be helpful.

Comments

• If you had no idea what it was or even a vague plan for learning to use it, why did you buy it?

The simplest(?) answer would be to use a tunnelbroker or to get another VPS that supports both IPv4 and IPv6 and proxy/tunnel through that server to access your IPv6-only server.

Thanked by 2brueggus agroup
  • @user123 said: If you had no idea what it was or even a vague plan for learning to use it, why did you buy it?

Good question about why in the first place I have bought it. No specific usage just to test open-source scripts, control panels, etc... and mainly because it was at dirt cheap price with some usable specs.

• Simple way: use vpn provider that has ipv6 in use, for example hide.me has a free plan with ipv6. Then just ssh to your box.

Thanked by 2agroup seenu
  • dominamedominame Member
    edited November 2020

OK, I'll see myself out. Sorry, misread VPS for VPN. The other guys are correct. You need an IP6 tunnel to your router. A web search will offer lots of them, some free and some paid for.

As you already have a provider you may not be able to get your money back. But the provider you've got may have knowledge of which ones work best with their service so ask them first. They may even have one for you.

~~The IP6 is for your visitors to use if their systems "prefer" it to IP4. For instance, my broadband provider, hence my router, will always select an IP6 route over IP4 if one is available.

It should be very simple to set up. If it is SLAAC it should have just dropped in automatically. If not your host hasn't set it up correctly. However, setup does vary from host to host so first ask - yes, you guessed it, your host.~~

Thanked by 1agroup
  • @netfox said:
    Simple way: use vpn provider that has ipv6 in use, for example, hide.me has a free plan with ipv6. Then just ssh to your box.

Thanks that was by far the easiest way. I was able to get into the server through ssh.

@dominame Thanks for explaining the routing thing that totally makes sense.

Thanked by 1netfox
  • @netfox said:
    Simple way: use vpn provider that has ipv6 in use, for example hide.me has a free plan with ipv6. Then just ssh to your box.

It's a good idea. But, if you're using Windows, you have to remember that ALL of your data is being tunneled over the VPN when you're connected to it, not just the data going to your IPv6 port. So, if you're surfing, logging into accounts, or buying things, all of your information will be routed through the (free) VPN server.

Since the VPN owners have full control and can view every packet that goes through their servers, you would probably want to be comfortable that you trust them with whatever information you send through their system. If you're buying stuff or logging into accounts, your IP will show up as the VPN server's IP, so your account or purchase may get flagged and locked, banned, or marked as potential fraud, depending on the site, their policy about VPNs, and the specific IP's reputation.

Thanked by 1agroup
  • You could set up tunneling ipv6 using Teredo

Thanked by 1agroup
  • You could try tunnelbroker.net, or any other IPv6 tunnel broker for that matter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IPv6_tunnel_brokers

Thanked by 1agroup
  • @agroup said: Also, I don't have any IPv6 address on my pc so that might be the drawback I believe here.

Does your internet provider provide IPv6? Most good ones should, particularly if you're in the USA (IPv6 usage is quite high in the US). You might just have to check your router configration and ensure IPv6 is enabled.

Otherwise, if your ISP is stuck in the last decade and refuses to modernize their network, you can use tunnelbroker.net either on your router or on your PC to get an IPv6 address.

• you can use it just like a ipv4 server

i run nginx,php,mariadb, on my ipv6 vps, you just need use cloudflare, just point AAAA to your ipv6 vps ip , and set nginx to listen to ::80 and ::443

run openvpn and shadowsocks on ipv6

use ipv6 nameservers resolve.conf

Thanked by 1agroup
  • I smell a Ban coming

• dont most isp's use ipv6 by now? I love ipv6.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited November 2020

@princeshoko said:
    dont most isp's use ipv6 by now? I love ipv6.

I hear it's not common in some countries.

IPv6 is very widespread in the USA though. All the major ISPs support it (eg Comcast give each customer a /64 range). In particular it's very common with mobile carriers, for example T-mobile have 95%+ of their traffic going entirely over IPv6, using 464xlat to connect to legacy IPv4-only servers.

Unfortunately some other countries preferred to roll out CGNAT to handle IPv4 exhaustion, rather than properly updating their network to support IPv6.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited November 2020

@darkvice said:

My /etc/resolv.conf gets overwritten automatically, on Debian 10.
    Nowadays the correct way is editing /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base.

vi /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base
      nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8888
      nameserver 2606:4700:4700::1111
    systemctl restart resolvconf.service

Ubuntu needs Netplan.

Thanked by 2darkvice agroup
  • @darkvice said: you can use it just like a ipv4 server

i run nginx,php,mariadb, on my ipv6 vps, you just need use cloudflare, just point AAAA to your ipv6 vps ip , and set nginx to listen to ::80 and ::443

run openvpn and shadowsocks on ipv6

Yeah, that's were exactly my thoughts except for the openvpn part. As VPS have decent specs so I think there will be no issue in running all these things.

@user123 said: Since the VPN owners have full control and can view every packet that goes through their servers, you would probably want to be comfortable that you trust them with whatever information you send through their system. If you're buying stuff or logging into accounts, your IP will show up as the VPN server's IP, so your account or purchase may get flagged and locked, banned, or marked as potential fraud, depending on the site, their policy about VPNs, and the specific IP's reputation.

I was also feard about that so I was just trying to configure out somethings on the server like Apache-based things behind Cloudflare and use it like that.

@Pixels said: You could try tunnelbroker.net, or any other IPv6 tunnel broker for that matter.

Yeah, I have tried that as well got a script for mac which sets up the tunnel. Thanks for sharing.

https://github.com/mdarse/ipv6tun

Thank you everyone for sharing your valuable insights into this matter, that really helped.

• The previous replies have explained how to connect. If IPv6 is used to build a website, cloudflare configuration can be used to facilitate the access of other users without IPv6

Thanked by 1agroup
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@waynechris said:
    The previous replies have explained how to connect. If IPv6 is used to build a website, cloudflare configuration can be used to facilitate the access of other users without IPv6

I've seen a few limitations of Cloudflare free plan:

• Uploading over 100MB will always fail. This mainly affects Nextcloud, but can affect other websites than allow user uploads of large files.
    • WebSockets are limited to low concurrency. I haven't run into this yet as I typically setup WebSockets on a separate subdomain.
    • Non-HTML content is cached. If you replace a JavaScript/CSS/picture file without changing the file name, Cloudflare may continue to serve the old asset for several hours. You have to invoke Cloudflare API to purge the cache. A better solution is to always change the filename, which would avoid browser cache hits too.
    Thanked by 1agroup
  • @yoursunny said: Non-HTML content is cached.

That's intentional given Cloudflare is primarily designed to be a CDN. If it didn't cache content, it'd be a pretty lousy CDN :)

You should always change the filename, which also allows you to optimize caching by serving far future expires headers. Most good CSS/JS build systems have an option for this.

Thanked by 1agroup
  • you should opt for cache-busting

• There's also this: https://nat64.net/ but beware, it's run by some guy that says he doesn't log but it's just some random guy on the internet ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thanked by 1agroup