Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving from Cloud Drive to Storage Servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Moving from Cloud Drive to Storage Servers

I am considering to get my first storage VPS

What are the chance of a drive failure on those machines?
Should I get like 2 servers with same storage space on different location/providers and sync the FS for redundancy

I know Raid is a thing but still, hardware failure is no joke

Comments

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

Always.
    Have.
    Offsite.
    Backups.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • On those cheap storage vps servers, expect very low performance. Most of them are only ment to cold store files, and nothing more. Also, always keep full backups of everything.

Personally i use gsuite (google drive, unlimited storage), and this will cost you around 10 USD / month to backup all my servers.

• @Barnesanger said:
    On those cheap storage vps servers, expect very low performance. Most of them are only ment to cold store files, and nothing more. Also, always keep full backups of everything.

Personally i use gsuite (google drive, unlimited storage), and this will cost you around 10 USD / month to backup all my servers.

Isn't the Gsuite Unlimited storage for enterprise users only?
    They updated their pricing recently
    https://workspace.google.com/pricing.html

• I wouldn't recommend GSuite for anyone that is just starting as Google is most likely gonna enforce their limits soon, as they are doing with several other of their services. Those that already have (the sane ones) should be probably preparing alternative ways of storing their data.

• BarnesangerBarnesanger Barred
    edited November 2020

I can still create and delete gsuite accounts at 10.40 euro / month from my admin panel atleast