Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a VPS for running personal NextCloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a VPS for running personal NextCloud

azeemazeem Member
edited November 2020 in Requests

Looking for a VPS to run a personal NextCloud instance with

• Number of cores: 2 - ideal.
  • Ram - Min 1/ Ideal 2 GB
  • Storage - Min 100GB / Ideal 250GB (HDD is fine)
  • Bandwidth - Min 500 GB/ Ideal 1TB
  • Location - Europe (preferable) / UK (ideal)
  • KVM preferable

Can these requirements be met around $15 annual or less? (considering there are ongoing BF deals) ?

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Wait for the next @cociu $€£¥1 offer in honor of @Nekki.
    It's 1TB SSD.

Thanked by 1azeem
  • elliotcelliotc Member
    edited November 2020

You can get the disk but not the ram, locations either.

Thanked by 1azeem
  • @elliotc said:
    You can get the disk but not the ram, locations either.

:s Looking for at-least 1GB ram
    I'm flexible on location and a little on the price too if the offer is good

• Good luck with your budget

• @angstrom said:
    Good luck with your budget

What is the recommended budget I should be looking at with those specs then?

• @azeem said:

You need more RAM. Yes, you do. Remember: web-server, db-server, php, caching (apc, opcache, redis, disc). 2GB is absolute minimum and NC is crawling with that...

• @Jarry said:

@azeem said:

You need more RAM. Yes, you do. Remember: web-server, db-server, php, caching (apc, opcache, redis, disc). 2GB is absolute minimum and NC is crawling with that...

Really? I thought 512mb is minimum recommended - as per NC documentation

• edited November 2020

@azeem said:

@Jarry said:

@azeem said:

Really? I thought 512mb is minimum recommended - as per NC documentation

512MB is more than enough for nextcloud personal usage. No need for redis, just install Nginx, MariaDB 10.3, and PHP-FPM 7.4 with OPCache & APC.

Thanked by 2azeem vimalware
  • Was finally able to snag HostHatch's LON storage server!

• 1x 2.4+ GHz
    • 1 GB RAM
    • 500 GB disk
    • 2 TB bandwidth
    • $22 per year

BF mission accomplished! Thank you @hosthatch :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @azeem said:
    Was finally able to snag HostHatch's LON storage server!

• 1x 2.4+ GHz
    • 1 GB RAM
    • 500 GB disk
    • 2 TB bandwidth
    • $22 per year

Where

• @imok said:

@azeem said:

• 1x 2.4+ GHz
    • 1 GB RAM
    • 500 GB disk
    • 2 TB bandwidth
    • $22 per year

Where

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3161948#Comment_3161948

Thanked by 1imok
  • Crazy.

Thanked by 1azeem
  • I run NC using the snap package on less than 512MB

Thanked by 2azeem vimalware
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

I'm running it with hetzner. Not that cheap but I like it

Thanked by 1azeem
  • @ericls said:

Are you running self-hosted or hosted with hetzner?

• There is a difference between "running" and "running smoothly". It won't be running smoothly if you run NC on the storage server. It's a storage server with HDD and not really meant to run apps (do share if otherwise and it is running fast!). I think it would be better if NC runs on a different server than the storage backend and then link the storage backend server to the NC server. You could link through SFTP from NC interface but if you use NFS it should be faster. It would be good of course if both servers are in the same DC/location. Another thing to try is to setup MinIO on the storage server and try to use the S3 option in NC. https://min.io/

Thanked by 2vimalware azeem
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

@JohnFilch123 said:

@ericls said:

Self-hosted. I'm hosting it with their cloud servers.

• @ericls said:

@JohnFilch123 said:

@ericls said:

Self-hosted. I'm hosting it with their cloud servers.

Hmm, do you get decent upload/download speed? I had a couple of issues (not with Hetzner), the speed was terrible slow.

• @azeem said:

• 1x 2.4+ GHz
    • 1 GB RAM
    • 500 GB disk
    • 2 TB bandwidth
    • $22 per year

How many % is allowed on CPU? Is it a dedicated core?

• i am using @AnthonySmith's storage VPS for more than 1+ years now. they are solid.

Thanked by 1azeem
  • RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited November 2020

@Kassem said:
    There is a difference between "running" and "running smoothly". It won't be running smoothly if you run NC on the storage server. It's a storage server with HDD and not really meant to run apps (do share if otherwise and it is running fast!). I think it would be better if NC runs on a different server than the storage backend and then link the storage backend server to the NC server. You could link through SFTP from NC interface but if you use NFS it should be faster. It would be good of course if both servers are in the same DC/location. Another thing to try is to setup MinIO on the storage server and try to use the S3 option in NC. https://min.io/

I think if you like speed and the speed of disk is critical for you, then you have to look for a hybrid VPS. It's way better than connect 2 VPS even from 1 country. Better if it's the same DC and the same provider and you can use its network. Unfortunately there are only few providers on LET who have hybrid plans but I think the number of such providers with hybrid plans will increase in the next 2-3 years. Personally I would like @LiteServer @hosthatch and @NDTN having hybrid plans. I used @key900 hybrid plan, but unfortunately I stopped it cause of not a good ping to the server, hope one day they (letbox) organize something in Europe, who knows... :)

The reason why providers don't provide hybrid plans is solusVM, which many of them use. As far as I know, it doesn't support hybrid. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanked by 3NDTN letbox azeem
  • NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@RedSox said:

@Kassem said:
    There is a difference between "running" and "running smoothly". It won't be running smoothly if you run NC on the storage server. It's a storage server with HDD and not really meant to run apps (do share if otherwise and it is running fast!). I think it would be better if NC runs on a different server than the storage backend and then link the storage backend server to the NC server. You could link through SFTP from NC interface but if you use NFS it should be faster. It would be good of course if both servers are in the same DC/location. Another thing to try is to setup MinIO on the storage server and try to use the S3 option in NC. https://min.io/

I think if you like speed and the speed of disk is critical for you, then you have to look for a hybrid VPS. It's way better than connect 2 VPS even from 1 location. Unfortunately there are only few providers on LET who have hybrid plans but I think the number of such providers with hybrid plans will increase in the next 2-3 years. Personally I would like @LiteServer @hosthatch and @NDTN having hybrid plans. I used @key900 hybrid plan, but unfortunately I stopped it cause of not a good ping to the server, hope one day they (letbox) organize something in Europe, who knows... :)

The reason why providers don't provide hybrid plans is solusVM, which many of them use. As far as I know, it doesn't support hybrid. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you for the mention. We would like to have Hybrid setup, but SolusVM officially does not support that.
    We are working on Openstack plans now, which might bring more features like the compute plans + block storage plans - just like other cloud providers like Vultr are doing. But it will take months to be ready to release.

Thanked by 2RedSox azeem