Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

unix socket and NFS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

unix socket and NFS

Question regarding UNIX sockets (files) at NFS. I never use nfs before, but now I want to build the system where the daemon create unix socket in the folder where it is starts from. And it will be nfs folder at new system. Will it works? NFS support unix sockets? Any performance issues?

Also the question is it possible to mount the previous whole user folder (/home/user) as nfs folder or maybe whole (/home) to the same location on client? I want to simplify the move to new configuration with network filesystem from previous standard configuration. Any underwater rocks? Must I worry about something else? Client system will boot, if nfs will not be available and mounted without user or home folder?

Thanks

Comments

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited November 2020

Will it works? NFS support unix sockets?

No, you can't expose unix sockets over NFS. You can, however, expose it using other channels; TCP for example.

Also the question is it possible to mount the previous whole user folder (/home/user) as nfs folder or maybe whole (/home) to the same location on client?

Yes, you can. No it (generally, unless you put boot/startup-critical files there) won't be a problem if the NFS share providing /home is unreachable at boot.

Thanked by 1Milon
  • MilonMilon Member
    edited November 2020

@jmgcaguicla thanks. About unix socket. For clearance, I don't want to share it over NFS. I mean that daemon will create it at location under mounted NFS dir and only other instances on the same machine will connect to it. e.g. /home/user/ will be nfs dir and daemon from /home/user/programdir/ will create unix socket at this dir. Will this work as expected? I mean will be this unix socked available locally at this server or it will not be possible to create it at programdir and I will receive some unexpected error or behavio , because it's mounted nfs filesystem. Only worry about that and don't want to share this unix socket with other machines under the network.

• I now see what you mean, you're basically asking if Unix sockets will still work even if the location you put them in is an NFS mount.

I'm not exactly sure since I haven't tried that specific scenario, but I could at least confirm that creating them on an NFS mount is not a problem. nc -lkU /mnt/my_nfs/my.socket

Thanked by 1Milon