Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upcoming downtime on LowEndTalk - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Upcoming downtime on LowEndTalk

2»

Comments

• @jbiloh said: Two for LowEndBox and two for LowEndTalk.

Interesting, thanks! You mention two VPSs for each: is load is shared across the two VPSs? Do they also have their own copy of the database, or is it one VM for php and stuff & one for the database? You mention "database services", maybe the database isn't even on these VPS?

• @jbiloh said: Certainly appreciate the idea, thanks for sharing. We may implement this if things get slow again later today.

Yeah details are at https://blog.cloudflare.com/caching-anonymous-page-views/. Think of it like Varnish Cache just using Cloudflare CDN cache edge servers as the caching servers :)

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@eva2000 said:

@jbiloh said: Certainly appreciate the idea, thanks for sharing. We may implement this if things get slow again later today.

Yeah details are at https://blog.cloudflare.com/caching-anonymous-page-views/. Think of it like Varnish Cache just using Cloudflare CDN cache edge servers as the caching servers :)

Right now about 70% of the content on LEB and LET are cached according to CF's backend. So no doubt that is helping. Either way, you suggestion is great and I am considering it.

@pbx said:

@jbiloh said: Two for LowEndBox and two for LowEndTalk.

Interesting, thanks! You mention two VPSs for each: is load is shared across the two VPSs? Do they also have their own copy of the database, or is it one VM for php and stuff & one for the database? You mention "database services", maybe the database isn't even on these VPS?

It's active/passive because I didn't want to duplicate the past issues with the infamous cluster and database sync issues.

I tried to segregate things as much as possible but without complicating things too much while also working inside the budgets available (when I purchased LEB and LET in January 2020 the sites were making almost nothing, so I had to fund everything out of pocket).

Before BF/CM 2021 I plan to have the entire environment supercharged so that it will be prepared. I am expecting (hoping) that traffic a year from now is much higher than it is this year (which is already far exceeding expectations -- which makes me feel like folks are liking everything we've done to make improvements to LEB and LET in 2020).

Thanked by 2pbx eva2000

We will be taking the site down for 2 minuets again here shortly to again double the resources on the LowEndTalk's host nodes from 16 Intel Gold Series Cores to 32.

Will advise once finished.

Thanked by 2pbx dustinc

We should be in better shape now folks.

Thanked by 3dustinc pbx zomby1
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@jbiloh

I'd be interested to know what we're talking about in terms of requests per second.

• @jbiloh said: We should be in better shape now folks.

Much better

@jsg said:
    @jbiloh

I'd be interested to know what we're talking about in terms of requests per second.

The earlier attacks were a combination of easy vector (abusing search function -- now we have controls/blocks in place) and high PPS (stopped mostly by CF).

As for legit traffic today LowEndTalk alone did 825,000 page views (day still has 4 hours to go).

Thanked by 2jsg eva2000