Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for high bandwidth VPS for a personal VPN/tunnel.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for high bandwidth VPS for a personal VPN/tunnel.

With Black Friday coming up, this is looking like a good time to start finding a VPS for a new project. I need a high bandwidth VPS for tunneling traffic between my home servers and the internet. I want to host a lot of services at home without exposing my public IP address, thus the need for a VPS to tunnel a lot of traffic through.

Use cases:
1. Seedbox on private trackers - torrenting must be allowed through the VPS. The tracker I seed on is not public but has open registrations (this to me seems "private" but your interpretation may vary). No one on it has ever gotten a copyright/DMCA complaint.
2. Personal cloud storage (Nextcloud, etc.) - I want to host this from home but tunnel the data.

I have seen @dustinc's thread but I am unsure of RackNerd's torrent policy and also want to compare other offers, if any. Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Can't edit on here so I will reply to add: US East locations are preferred, but I will consider any location if the price is competitive.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@r4h156 said:
    Can't edit on here so I will reply to add: US East locations are preferred, but I will consider any location if the price is competitive.

You can edit within 4hours of posting. In the right top corner of your post text. There is a gear. That will let you edit.

I would say check out @Francisco or I have some deals going on as well in a thread here.
    But Francisco would be your place to go to for East coast.
    You also got @seriesn on the coasts as well. however I am not familure with their policys.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    You can edit within 4hours of posting. In the right top corner of your post text. There is a gear. That will let you edit.

Oops, missed it. I have not posted on here in a while.

I would say check out @Francisco or I have some deals going on as well in a thread here.

I saw Francisco's before when I was doing research, but it looked like he had a fair use policy for bandwidth even though it was listed as unmetered. I was looking at the $2/month 512 MB VPS, but it seemed like I would (potentially) end up being a noisy neighbor with one of those if I used more than my fair share of bandwidth.

Truth be told, I don't know exactly yet what my bandwidth requirements are, which is why I'd rather estimate on the high side (quite a few TB per month). Right now, I'm probably doing around 20 GB per month in seedbox traffic, but that has to be doubled since all the traffic is going through my current VPS as an intermediary from every peer to my server at home. At some point in the future, I'm going to have multiple terabytes of torrents seeding at once, and I want to make sure I'm not stepping on any neighbors if a lot of peers start connecting to grab that content.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@r4h156 said: I saw Francisco's before when I was doing research, but it looked like he had a fair use policy for bandwidth even though it was listed as unmetered. I was looking at the $2/month 512 MB VPS, but it seemed like I would (potentially) end up being a noisy neighbor with one of those if I used more than my fair share of bandwidth.

Our standard policy is people can use 100Mbit/sec (30TB/month) per 4GB RAM they buy, then you can multiple/divide that down.

A 512MB is good for like 8TB.

Francisco

Thanked by 1user123

Do you know what your sustained bandwidth is? You can do TB worth of data a month but your sustained is only 3Mbps.
    For instance 10TB a month is only roughly 30Mbps sustained traffic.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=mbps+to+tb+per+month&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS899US899&oq=mbps+to+tb+per+month&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j6j69i65.1503j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    Do you know what your sustained bandwidth is? You can do TB worth of data a month but your sustained is only 3Mbps.
    For instance 10TB a month is only roughly 30Mbps sustained traffic.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=mbps+to+tb+per+month&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS899US899&oq=mbps+to+tb+per+month&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j6j69i65.1503j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I assume by sustained bandwidth you mean what my home connection's upload speed is? I have gigabit (really 880 Mbps up). If you mean historical sustained bandwidth on my seedbox here at home, I am not currently monitoring that, and I also do not think it is representative of what my bandwidth needs could expand to in the future.

Apologies if I am misunderstanding this.

Sustained bandwidth is how much data is going though your connection at all times. Not spikes.
    I would give @Francisco a try being you were already looking at them. They will let you know if you are being too noisy.

• Letbox and BuyVM are your best option for fast HDDs in NA. Letbox has 256GB HDD and 10TB bandwidth at like, 30 USD annually, with very cheap upgrades.

Thanked by 1letbox
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@AC_Fan said:
    Letbox and BuyVM are your best option for fast HDDs in NA. Letbox has 256GB HDD and 10TB bandwidth at like, 30 USD annually, with very cheap upgrades.

Thanks you 🙏

• Oh shit it's @key900! :) +1000000 this guy (letbox) he's the undisputed king of storage and nobody does it better (fact check me?)

Thanked by 1letbox
  • @key900 said:

@AC_Fan said:
    Letbox and BuyVM are your best option for fast HDDs in NA. Letbox has 256GB HDD and 10TB bandwidth at like, 30 USD annually, with very cheap upgrades.

Thanks you 🙏

No problem buddy. By the way, any idea when most of your stock is gonna replenish? Ryzen is fully OOS, E5 is available only in LA. Also, you said something about unmetered incoming at some point? Sorry for the offtopic, your stuff is pretty interesting to me.

Thanked by 1letbox
  • @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@r4h156 said:
    Can't edit on here so I will reply to add: US East locations are preferred, but I will consider any location if the price is competitive.

But Francisco would be your place to go to for East coast.
    You also got @seriesn on the coasts as well. however I am not familure with their policys.

Thanks for the mention sir. Sadly no torrent :(