Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need some quick Nginx help. (Executing PHP in .tpl files)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I need some quick Nginx help. (Executing PHP in .tpl files)

MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
edited November 2020 in Help

Well, I'm running a very basic Nginx/PHP server for a flat file blog with a template system based on the smarty framework.

I've tried wrapping the PHP code in {literal}{/literal} and {php}{/php} tags in the .tpl file, and no go.

Seems that those on apache can amend .htaccess with

AddType application/x-httpd-php .tpl

And it 'should' work.

I was always horrible at trying to convert .htaccess rules to shit nginx will execute, so, can anyone help a dude out?

EDIT: I should have read more of the documentation. I figured it out.

I was literally wrapping PHP in the {php}{/php} tags, I didn't realize you had to (for example) do this: https://pastebin.com/4JxMUuu1 ( I tried sharing that example but kept getting Cloudflare popups trying to tell me I was blocked from the site. Guess you can't put php code in forms.)

Comments

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

When I pasted the example PHP code I got a popup saying I was blocked from LowEndTalk. Must have been a cloudflare thing. Element inspector let me exit out of it, and I'm not blocked, I guess. So, that was weird.

Anyway, yeah. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• @MannDude If I am understanding it right, basically you are trying to run .tpl extension files as .php ?

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited November 2020

Could try adding to mime.types file in nginx config dir
    application/php tpl;
    I don't know that it works... it just looks the same as apache
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .tpl

EDIT: and add tpl to the location

location ~ \.(php|tpl)$ {
                root           html;
               fastcgi_pass   127.0.0.1:9000;
               fastcgi_index  index.php;
               fastcgi_param    SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
                include        fastcgi_params;
            }

and add to php-fpm.conf:

security.limit_extensions = .php .tpl

• Please refer to official documentation that might help you:
    https://www.nginx.com/resources/wiki/start/topics/examples/full/#mime-types

Thanks everyone

@akb said:
    @MannDude If I am understanding it right, basically you are trying to run .tpl extension files as .php ?

I got it figured out about 5 minutes after I made my original post. I needed to include a php file in the footer of a template (footer.tpl) and it had been years since I've done this. I was wrapping the php code in {php}{/php} tags in the tpl file, since that's standard formatting for the smarty php template engine BUT I was doing it incorrectly. The {php}{/php} tags replace the standard <? ?> brackets, it doesn't surround them.

In the end I didn't need to modify anything on the webserver side of things, it was already good to go.

Guess I was just tired.

• It is so wrong to execute php code in template file. Why do you need such action? Write plugin or smarty action. Do not mess presentation layer.

@LTniger said: It is so wrong to execute php code in template file. Why do you need such action? Write plugin or smarty action. Do not mess presentation layer.

Just needed to call a lame ass hit counter into the page. Needed to include 'counter.txt' since it updates with each new page view. Pretty dumb but it's a low traffic site that will be seen by practically no one.

• Take a note, that tpl files generate cache, where your php code can be exposed to third parties. Probably even manipulated.