Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Same domain with one email account on zoho mail on one on own server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Same domain with one email account on zoho mail on one on own server

n1kkon1kko Member
edited November 2020 in Help

Hi, after some help please.

I have one domain name with one email account on zoho and one on my own server but i can't seem to send from my own server as i get a bounce back say address not found.

Also get spf error when tesing with mail tester. Not sure if my dns settings are correct at my domain if someone could help.

So to clarify I have email1@mydomain on Zoho mail and email2@mydomain on my own shared hosting.

• A mail 3600 123.123.123.123
  • A @ 3600 123.123.123.123
  • MX @ 3600 10 mail.mydomain.co.uk.
    MX @ 3600 20 mx2.zoho.eu.
    MX @ 3600 10 mx.zoho.eu.
    MX @ 3600 50 mx3.zoho.eu.
    TXT x._domainkey 3600 "v=DKIM1; k=rsa; p=MIIBIjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAO...
    TXT spf 3600 "v=spf1 include:zoho.eu include:a mx ip4:123.123.123.123 -all
    NS @ 3600 ns-uk.topdns.com.
    NS @ 3600 ns-usa.topdns.com.
    NS @ 3600 ns-canada.topdns.com.
    SOA @ 7200 ns-uk.topdns.com. hostmaster.topdns.com.

Comments

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited November 2020

Usually shared hosting servers will send mails to localhost if they have your domain on the list. Try change the mail exchanger option on cPanel/DA to external server (iirc in DA uncheck the ‘use this server for mail’ or sth similar)

And you should have only 1 mx provider per domain. Remove mail.mydomain.co.uk from your MX server

Thanked by 1n1kko
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2020

On your server you need to configure it to recognize that it's not the mail host for that domain, else it'll deliver locally. Keep in mind that this means that you won't be able to receive mail at that server either, but that's fine because you can't have your server come first and then Zoho come second and have one email on one and one email on another, you need to pick one or the other to handle inbound mail for your domain.

Ex. If sender hits your server first as lowest MX and the address that you have at Zoho doesn't exist at your server, it gets rejected, they won't move to second MX. If your server does have that email on it, then it gets the delivery and Zoho doesn't. Same scenario in reverse if you swap priorities. If they have the same priority then it'll just be a round robin of either result.

To tell your server it isn't the email host for the domain:

On a cPanel server it means going into “Email Routing” and changing the domain to Remote Exchanger.

On a DirectAdmin server it means going into “MX Records” and unchecking the checkbox to host mail for that domain.

In Plesk it means doing this: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213948465-How-to-activate-deactivate-the-mail-service-for-a-domain-subscription-server-wide 2

That typically covers most common scenarios.

Thanked by 2n1kko sanvit
  • @jar said:
    On your server you need to configure it to recognize that it's not the mail host for that domain, else it'll deliver locally. Keep in mind that this means that you won't be able to receive mail at that server either, but that's fine because you can't have your server come first and then Zoho come second and have one email on one and one email on another, you need to pick one or the other to handle inbound mail for your domain.

Ex. If sender hits your server first as lowest MX and the address that you have at Zoho doesn't exist at your server, it gets rejected, they won't move to second MX. If your server does have that email on it, then it gets the delivery and Zoho doesn't. Same scenario in reverse if you swap priorities. If they have the same priority then it'll just be a round robin of either result.

On a cPanel server it means going into “Email Routing” and changing the domain to Remote Exchanger.

On a DirectAdmin server it means going into “MX Records” and unchecking the checkbox to host mail for that domain.

In Plesk it means doing this: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213948465-How-to-activate-deactivate-the-mail-service-for-a-domain-subscription-server-wide 2

Ok think I'm with you.

So I've unchecked "Use this server to handle my e-mails. If not, change the MX records and uncheck this option". in my Direct admin so that should solve my issue?

Also @jar how long you running your blackfriday offers for please? Only reason I ask is waiting for payday LOL

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@n1kko said:

@jar said:

Ok think I'm with you.

So I've unchecked "Use this server to handle my e-mails. If not, change the MX records and uncheck this option". in my Direct admin so that should solve my issue?

Also @jar how long you running your blackfriday offers for please? Only reason I ask is waiting for payday LOL

Yeah that should be a good start.

At least through black friday.

Thanked by 1n1kko
  • @n1kko said: Also @jar how long you running your blackfriday offers for please?

Wise choice.

Thanked by 1n1kko