Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My unimpressed review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My unimpressed review

Hi all,

I signed up for scalahosting who have been mentioned here (although not for a while) they offer managed vps's with a free panel called Spanel

On the surface Spanel looks like Cpanel... however it most definitely isn't.. once logged into the admin side you can pretty much create accounts and see server load ... not what I was expecting for a hosting panel (free or not) ... client side is very much like Cpanel (even grouped similarly)

The provider also has a monitoring option which I added..... however i shut down the VM to see how responsive they where to this issue... although a made up issue ....... they haven't noticed the machine is off yet (its been an hour or so)

Support and live chat are responsive and helpful (installing nginx and raising a ticket from livechat) .... im just not very impressed with the panel and the monitoring

Chip

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@chip said: The provider also has a monitoring option which I added..... however i shut down the VM to see how responsive they where to this issue... although a made up issue ....... they haven't noticed the machine is off yet (its been an hour or so)

How did you cut it off? If there's any indication that it was shutdown from inside the VM properly, or by control panel, they may not.

Thanked by 2chip adly
  • @jar said:

@chip said: The provider also has a monitoring option which I added..... however i shut down the VM to see how responsive they where to this issue... although a made up issue ....... they haven't noticed the machine is off yet (its been an hour or so)

How did you cut it off? If there's any indication that it was shutdown from inside the VM properly, or by control panel, they may not.

I shut it down from there control panel after I raised it as an issue earlier and was told I haven't yet been added to the monitoring yet.... fair enough I was a bit quick so I turned it back on and left it all day ... until a little over an hour ago

Chip

Thanked by 1jar
  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Seems you not impressed

Thanked by 1chip
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Well first you'll need to find out what their "monitoring" monitors.

In general, shutting it down or powering it off, be it from the node itself or even the panel, will not trigger any alarms.

Thanked by 2jar chip
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@thedp said:

In general, shutting it down or powering it off, be it from the node itself or even the panel, will not trigger any alarms.

It's been a while since I've managed VMs but I want to say a "poweroff" will look similar to a fault in any logs on node side, where a "shutdown" may look more intended.

Memories from DO of questionable significance or even accuracy.

Thanked by 1chip
  • @jar said:

@thedp said:

It's been a while since I've managed VMs but I want to say a "poweroff" will look similar to a fault in any logs on node side, where a "shutdown" may look more intended.

Memories from DO of questionable significance or even accuracy.

Ah OK... I figured if it was off whatever they where using for monitoring... nagios/zabbix would trigger an alert..... maybe your right and its not being triggered because its shutdown and not power off (which explains why there is no power off option in the vm control panel)

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger should induce a kernel panic. That might be the most organic way to trigger a fault in the guest?

Thanked by 2dahartigan chip
  • @nem said:
    echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger should induce a kernel panic. That might be the most organic way to trigger a fault in the guest?

As its managed they don't give you root access, but thanks i will remember that for next time

Chip

• Hi @chip,

Thanks for your feedback and sorry to hear you are not impressed with SPanel. It's a new all-in-one cloud management platform and we are adding features pretty quickly.

Last week we announced a features requests system where SPanel users may request new features. You can find it at https://features.spanel.io and request the features you are missing or vote for them if someone else already requested them.

We just released a custom PHP.INI editor last week and the next on the road-map is integrating the Softaculous 1-click installer.

SPanel contains more than 90% of the features 85% of cPanel users really use and we are adding new features all the time. We also have some features that cPanel don't have yet like support of OpenLiteSpeed which is the fastest web server in the world (faster than Nginx) and allows you to host unlimited websites without paying for a license. Moreover, OLSWS allows you to use for free the best caching plugins for WordPress, Joomla, Prestashop, Opencart developed by LiteSpeed that can only be used with the paid LiteSpeed version or OpenLiteSpeed.

Anyway, I didn't get involved in the thread to say how great SPanel is but just to mention that the new features are coming and there is a system where you can request a feature you are missing in SPanel and we'll add it as soon as there is demand for it from other SPanel users too.

Thanked by 1chip
  • StealthyHostingStealthyHosting Member, Host Rep

@scalahosting said:
    SPanel contains more than 90% of the features 85% of cPanel users really use

90% of percentages are made up on the fly by 85% of people.

• @nem said:

As its managed they don't give you root access, but thanks i will remember that for next time

Chip