Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode Compromised; Bitcoins Stolen - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode Compromised; Bitcoins Stolen

13»

Comments

• @Zetta said: I have a question. If you use an encrypted partition on a KVM VPS, would that be safe, as in protected from an incident like this?

As long as you need to use the wallet information automatically, it will always be insecure.

• dwilddwild Member
    edited March 2012

@Zetta said: I have a question. If you use an encrypted partition on a KVM VPS, would that be safe, as in protected from an incident like this?

Even if it harder to hack it, you should not carry this much bitcoin at one place. What you can do is take a computer, let it run in your house with a firewall that block everything except bitcoin, and send it your bitcoin. You can then copy this wallet and protect it how you like to(like in a safe box at the bank). you can encrypt it with something like a 2048 bit private key and send it on any server (just make sure to have the private key in a safe place(and some copy)). And make sure to delete the old one.

• FLVPSFLVPS Member

@liam said: This is exactly why I don't sign up with the jack and jill hosting companies.

I like signing up to hosts which are registered business, been in business a while, if it's a one man company fine but I want to know the person name and somewhat know they're real and reputable.

... and Linode is exactly what to you?

• @justinb said: bitcoins aren't insured because they are quite literally worthless data.

And yet people will go and take thousands of them just to see if they can gladly exchange it for USD.

If you had the opportunity (not as an employee but by another exploit) to take $12k out without anyone knowing, would you do it?

If you said no, your lying anyway. Like the $50 on the ground that magically appears with no one around, no cameras, nothing. Of COURSE you'd pick it up. Turn it in? LOL.

• @Blackstorm72 said: If you had the opportunity (not as an employee but by another exploit) to take $12k out without anyone knowing, would you do it?

If you said no, your lying anyway.

Sorry, some of us actually have ethics.

@Blackstorm72 said: Like the $50 on the ground that magically appears with no one around, no cameras, nothing. Of COURSE you'd pick it up. Turn it in? LOL.

Different scenario. Taking via exploit is nothing other than theft; unless you know who dropped the cash on the ground, it's merely luck.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Blackstorm72 said: If you had the opportunity (not as an employee but by another exploit) to take $12k out without anyone knowing, would you do it?

12k isn't really much and the risk and fear of getting caught outweight the gain massively.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: the risk and fear of getting caught

The fear of what goes on in the prison system is enough to keep me on the straight and narrow

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@miTgiB said: The fear of what goes on in the prison system is enough to keep me on the straight and narrow

Wnat to know prison? Check them in Mexico, you have to pay there jut to not be beaten... if you dont have money for it, welcome to the drug organization, they will hire you just to pay you, just to pay them back

Thanked by 2yomero Mon5t3r
  • @netomx said: Check them in Mexico, you have to pay there jut to not be beaten... if you dont have money for it, welcome to the drug organization, they will hire you just to pay you, just to pay them back

Hahahaha! I am laughing XDDDDD

Sad but true u_u

Check the last news about prisons in Monterrey :(

• ithith Member

Sad story. I don't understand people who deal with their money carelessly.

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited March 2012

@liam said: I was reading about a prison in the one the only, Russia, and one of the prisoners bribed the prison authorities to allow him to go to croatia for a holiday.

you can see many people like that in my country. (i'm not from Russia btw).

@liam said: I was reading about a prison in the one the only, Russia, and one of the prisoners bribed the prison authorities to allow him to go to croatia for a holiday.

Here, in Mexico, it is everyday. They have cellphones, TVs, they can have hookers, parties, they even let them go out to kill and then return to the prison. nice, huh?

• @netomx said: nice, huh?

NICE!

u_u

• @netomx said: Here, in Mexico, it is everyday.

It's sad that not much more than 100 years ago Mexico was a super power in the hemisphere, the benefits of corruption I guess :(

• @miTgiB said: It's sad that not much more than 100 years ago Mexico was a super power in the hemisphere, the benefits of corruption I guess :(

Yep... long, looong story

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@liam said: Well I guess here it's somewhat the same(England). The rich avoid jail or get sent to a 'soft' jail (more like a hotel) for a fraction of what they're suppose to.

Corruption is everywhere in the world, just some places more than others. I think the so called democracies are the most corrupt tbh.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • @Infinity said: the so called democracies

England and Mexico have been in he news a lot lately it seems with all sorts of big-brother type stuff they are rolling out, and England, with privatizing the police force, wtf???

• @liam said: make a conservative donor even richer

I think Rome occupying England has saved the area from slavery, and not repeating that mistake, but it seems the US has yet to learn it's lesson on that front, with Corporate run prisons making inroads, we have yet another large lobbying group pushing for more crimes to be punished with harsher terms in prison to resurrect slavery in this country.

Thanked by 2nabo Liam
  • abide the law, until you have acquired the skill/power/money to walk past it ;)

• @peppr said: until you have acquired the skill/power/money

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ... What country before ever existed a century and half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." Thomas Jefferson, 13 November 1787

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

@Infinity said: Corruption is everywhere in the world, just some places more than others. I think the so called democracies are the most corrupt tbh.

Maybe, just maybe, in the places where there is no press and no whistle blower lives to tell, nobody finds out about it... Or, even if they do find out, the rulers will just say, "prove it" to the man in the street, and if they have any proof, that also means their death sentence.
    M