Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for LowEndBox exclusive plans under $12/year - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for LowEndBox exclusive plans under $12/year

124»

Comments

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

I did miss some replies (just noticed) regarding our new location in Amsterdam. To confirm, in Amsterdam we are using Colocrossing, which has a relationship with Equinix. Awesome facility by the way.

The carriers are Telia and Cogent at this time. We expect this location to be live within a week or so at this point.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@jbiloh

Shouldn't you change the title of this thread to something like "RackNerd - Promos and ask anything"?

I'm in no way against RackNerd (decent provider it seems) or @dustinc but what happened here pretty much suffocates any providers, especially in other parts of the world, thinking about offering a $12 - $24 VPS in this thread.

Plus, it fuels the rumors that you are still closely linked to CC.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @dustinc are you planning something like 11.11 for BF but in Europe? $10 per year is great but all VPSes are in US DC :(

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@jsg said:
    @jbiloh

Shouldn't you change the title of this thread to something like "RackNerd - Promos and ask anything"?

I'm in no way against RackNerd (decent provider it seems) or @dustinc but what happened here pretty much suffocates any providers, especially in other parts of the world, thinking about offering a $12 - $24 VPS in this thread.

It's hard for me to say that RackNerd shouldn't response to customer inquiries on a public thread.

To be honest I am glad to see any provider be highly engaged with the community. When hosting providers are highly present in the community it gives me confidence that they are dedicated to ensuring a positive customer experience.

That said we want to make sure all providers who are willing to put in the work to be present be given the chance for exposure. So providers, jump in!!

@JohnFilch123 said:
    @dustinc are you planning something like 11.11 for BF but in Europe? $10 per year is great but all VPSes are in US DC :(

Hi @JohnFilch123 -- thank you for expressing interest in RackNerd. I'll send you a PM with a special offer in that region.

As for our Black Friday - we'll have some awesome deals, and more :) So keep an eye out on LET, I don't think our deals will be passed up. The deals will be amazing.

Thanked by 1JohnFilch123

@jbiloh said:

@jsg said:
    @jbiloh

It's hard for me to say that RackNerd shouldn't response to customer inquiries on a public thread.

To be honest I am glad to see any provider be highly engaged with the community. When hosting providers are highly present in the community it gives me confidence that they are dedicated to ensuring a positive customer experience.

That said we want to make sure all providers who are willing to put in the work to be present be given the chance for exposure. So providers, jump in!!

We try our best :)

We also encourage end users, and providers as much as possible to get their fair share. Here's a recent example https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/167946/i-need-a-vps-for-1-per-month

There's so much business for everyone. Anyone interested in a deal, interested in chatting with me or providers seeking help I don't mind sharing my talent or perhaps learning from you. There's plenty to learn.

• @dustinc Do you have any plans for something in FL?

edited November 2020

@jbiloh

2 posts mentioning non RackNerd offers (1 of which from yourself) plus 4 or 5 comments.

Over 60 posts by or related to @dustinc.

And you're even commending him. I agree that dense and good interaction with customers is positive - but this thread for whatever strange reasons isn't titled "RackNerd/dustinc's great interaction with customers".

What you seem to have intended with this thread has miserably failed - unless of course it was but a pretext to push RackNerd/dustinc and ColoCrossing...

(Funnily dustinc's interaction with me isn't that great, but then I'm not supporting his marketing gig here but rather point at this threads official albeit utterly failed purpose).

Thanked by 1webcraft
    edited November 2020

@Ouji said:
    @dustinc Do you have any plans for something in FL?

Hello - we are working behind the scenes to possibly bring this location live for our KVM VPS product line :) I don't have an ETA, but it is highly considered, especially for those in South America.

• @dustinc said: but it is highly considered, especially for those in South America.

Exactly. While ping for NY and NJ is not that bad, FL is definitely the best option for us.

• @jsg said:

2 posts mentioning non RackNerd offers (1 of which from yourself) plus 4 or 5 comments.

I mean when I saw the topic it's hard to imagine who else would jump on the band wagon.

Sub $12 a year is niche. But to take a niche and say "also make it an exclusive deal." Makes it niche of a niche.

The only other person who comes to mind as a viable contender as far as vps go would be @Cam ... Assuming he creates new plans for things like this? Just slight tweaks in any form and a leb name in the deal. Even just a coupon code which tweaks a metric would probably qualify.

But even then it's up to him if he would want to post it.

I've always said I'm so frugal is never want myself as a customer the margins seem tough. I never expected many participants in here to begin with so seeing as bunch of discussion in here alone I found to be interesting.

Anyways that's enough random rambling for me.

Thanked by 1dustinc
    edited November 2020

@MINIMAN10000

Nuh, there are a few more out there offering, at least occasionally, $12 and say up to $20 per year VPS, KVM based, well noted. I know because I have a couple myself from about 5 providers (in european locations, but I guess there are some in North-America too).

And niche or not niche, there is some demand for those, e.g. for DNS, small companies or private email servers, backup web sites, etc.
    While nowadays most people seem to think that anything weaker than at the very least a Xeon E5 v3 (v4 or Epyc preferred) is basically unusable one can - and I do - run quite a bit of stuff on a halfway decent $12 to $18 VPS.

That and the fact that more of those offers would help to cement LET's position as THE low-end VPS site was why I was pleased by @jbiloh's initiative. But alas it turned into something that serves one single providers interest at the cost of suffocating the good original intent.

Edit: Well noted I'm not against @dustinc or RackNerd. I'm against him brutally perverting this once useful thread for his advantage only.

.> @Ouji said:

@dustinc said: but it is highly considered, especially for those in South America.

Exactly. While ping for NY and NJ is not that bad, FL is definitely the best option for us.

I'm with you. Hopefully, we can get this up sooner than later :)

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@jsg said:
    @MINIMAN10000

Nuh, there are a few more out there offering, at least occasionally, $12 and say up to $20 per year VPS, KVM based, well noted. I know because I have a couple myself from about 5 providers (in european locations, but I guess there are some in North-America too).

And niche or not niche, there is some demand for those, e.g. for DNS, small companies or private email servers, backup web sites, etc.
    While nowadays most people seem to think that anything weaker than at the very least a Xeon E5 v3 (v4 or Epyc preferred) is basically unusable one can - and I do - run quite a bit of stuff on a halfway decent $12 to $18 VPS.

That and the fact that more of those offers would help to cement LET's position as THE low-end VPS site was why I was pleased by @jbiloh's initiative. But alas it turned into something that serves one single providers interest at the cost of suffocating the good original intent.

Edit: Well noted I'm not against @dustinc or RackNerd. I'm against him brutally perverting this once useful thread for his advantage only.

I need more submissions to the $12/year page folks. I can't add hosts if I don't have more LEB exclusive offers that fit the criteria.

The $12 per year page gets tons of traffic. Get some free exposure, hosts!!

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited November 2020

@rcy026 said:

@dahartigan said:
    I feel like IPv6 will always only be a "compatibility hack" and a compromise.

Depends on which part of the world you are in I guess.
    Here in Sweden ipv6 is starting to be a basic demand, you cant do business with some of the big companies or governments here if you do not support ipv6. It hasn't replaced ipv4 yet, but I don't think it will take many years before the question is reversed and will be "do you still support ipv4"?

If your company does a lot of business with your government, they really should host in Sweden. Just my two cents. Your point is still valid, it's a growing requirement and having it is better than not having it.

@jbiloh said:
    I need more submissions to the $12/year page folks. I can't add hosts if I don't have more LEB exclusive offers that fit the criteria.

Won't happen, not after this has de facto turned into a "RackNerd's customer interaction is soooo great", "when will they offer IPv6", "RackNerd! RackNerd!", etc. thread.

The very few who did (before RackNerd took over the thread and was even commended by you!) - incl. your own posting - completely drowned. Why would any not really large provider compete for attention in this thread when he can be virtually certain that his offer will be suffocated and/or ignored.

Again: I'm in no way against RackNerd and maybe they really are a great provider, but you and the mods should have seen @dustinc out of this thread politely and friendly and give him his own thread.

I'll try to help you: provided that this thread will be limited to its purpose (and such offer some air to breathe for other providers) I'm willing to do a short (3 days) benchmark run and then publish a review of the first 3 providers posting an offer according to the limits set for this thread.

@jsg said:

@jbiloh said:

Won't happen, not after this has de facto turned into a "RackNerd's customer interaction is soooo great", "when will they offer IPv6", "RackNerd! RackNerd!", etc. thread.

The very few who did (before RackNerd took over the thread and was even commended by you!) - incl. your own posting - completely drowned. Why would any not really large provider compete for attention in this thread when he can be virtually certain that his offer will be suffocated and/or ignored.

Again: I'm in no way against RackNerd and maybe they really are a great provider, but you and the mods should have seen @dustinc out of this thread politely and friendly and give him his own thread.

I'll try to help you: provided that this thread will be limited to its purpose (and such offer some air to breathe for other providers) I'm willing to do a short (3 days) benchmark run and then publish a review of the first 3 providers posting an offer according to the limits set for this thread.

I'm really glad you're not against me, or the brand. Definitely just doing my part here, engaging, trying my best to follow the rules (no one is perfect) but I feel like I do a good job at following community rules, and not just this community. Along with doing what is right for the community, its members, business, and so on.

• @TimboJones said:

@rcy026 said:

@dahartigan said:
    I feel like IPv6 will always only be a "compatibility hack" and a compromise.

Depends on which part of the world you are in I guess.
    Here in Sweden ipv6 is starting to be a basic demand, you cant do business with some of the big companies or governments here if you do not support ipv6. It hasn't replaced ipv4 yet, but I don't think it will take many years before the question is reversed and will be "do you still support ipv4"?

If your company does a lot of business with your government, they really should host in Sweden. Just my two cents. Your point is still valid, it's a growing requirement and having it is better than not having it.

True. Most government hosting is on-prem, due to laws and regulations. But even if you just provide an external service to a government, or even use a service provided by them, then ipv6 is often mandatory.