Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virmach 2019 BF Special - VPS Control and VNC not working for me
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virmach 2019 BF Special - VPS Control and VNC not working for me

I've got a Virmach 2019 BlackFriday special and have been debating whether or not to renew it.

It's on the NYCKVM17 node which is Patterson NJ. The only thing that gives me pause is their VPS Control panel which for me is not working correctly for past few months now: when I click on VNC it opens up a window that tells me 'Server disconnected (code:1006)'. VPS Control also tells me I have Ubuntu 18 Desktop x64 ISO installed which is incorrect- Ubuntu Server 16 is installed. A while ago when when I tried to reboot through VPS Control it would not let me.

My VPS is online, my websites are online, and except for this minor issue with the VPS Control and VNC the server has been reliable and a real bargain. The Black Friday specials didn't include support and the one ticket I opened when was unable to use their CP or access my server via Virtualmin was never answered, but eventually the problem resolved and regained access.

Has anyone had similar issues and is there a workaround or fix I can implement without contacting support? I just use the Virmach VPS Control Panel and VNC as a backup when problems occur but the one time I needed it could not use. Also not sure if the Virmach VPS Control will even currently let me Reinstall or Reboot or do other functions which might be very important in the future.

Comments

• Did you try to access the SolusVM panel - go to the service, on the left side click "management", then down to "VPS control panel".

Thanked by 1JDMcPea
  • @JDMcPea said:
    I've got a Virmach 2019 BlackFriday special and have been debating whether or not to renew it.

It's on the NYCKVM17 node which is Patterson NJ. The only thing that gives me pause is their VPS Control panel which for me is not working correctly for past few months now: when I click on VNC it opens up a window that tells me 'Server disconnected (code:1006)'. VPS Control also tells me I have Ubuntu 18 Desktop x64 ISO installed which is incorrect- Ubuntu Server 16 is installed. A while ago when when I tried to reboot through VPS Control it would not let me.

My VPS is online, my websites are online, and except for this minor issue with the VPS Control and VNC the server has been reliable and a real bargain. The Black Friday specials didn't include support and the one ticket I opened when was unable to use their CP or access my server via Virtualmin was never answered, but eventually the problem resolved and regained access.

Has anyone had similar issues and is there a workaround or fix I can implement without contacting support? I just use the Virmach VPS Control Panel and VNC as a backup when problems occur but the one time I needed it could not use. Also not sure if the Virmach VPS Control will even currently let me Reinstall or Reboot or do other functions which might be very important in the future.

Its been going on for months. Kinda well known around these parts, with no signs of a fix coming in anytime soon.

Use this BF as an opportunity to backup, ditch and run.

Thanked by 1JDMcPea
  • Have you contacted support regarding the issues, if so what have they said? If not why not?

Thanked by 1JDMcPea
  • @WSCallum said:
    Have you contacted support regarding the issues, if so what have they said? If not why not?

@JDMcPea said: The Black Friday specials didn't include support and the one ticket I opened when was unable to use their CP or access my server via Virtualmin was never answered

should answer your question

Thanked by 1JDMcPea
  • Yep, sounds about right.

Thanked by 1JDMcPea
  • @JDMcPea said: The Black Friday specials didn't include support

If something is truly broken on their end, I'm sure they'll fix it if you inform them. Just don't waste their time with stuff that's your fault.

• @drunkendog said:

@JDMcPea said: The Black Friday specials didn't include support and the one ticket I opened when was unable to use their CP or access my server via Virtualmin was never answered

This is not true. I still have 2017 BF Special VPS and they assisted me quite quickly whenever I raised a support ticket.

Thanked by 2JDMcPea ariq01
  • @drunkendog said:

@WSCallum said:
    Have you contacted support regarding the issues, if so what have they said? If not why not?

Oops didn't see that. Still, seems unreasonable to not offer support for something that clearly isn't within the customers control (especially when they might lose that customer over something that they should be able to fix quite easily).

• In fact, I don't understand the "no support statement". The no support option was only offered in 2018 and it was a checkbox to check. Otherwise, someone correct me, but all other vps in sale where offered with limited support. To my understanding, it's the "don't be a dick rule" that apply here. It seem to me really reasonable to contact them for a VNC issues as it's outside user control. Should even be ok under the few "No support" VPS left from 2018.

Thanked by 1JDMcPea
  • Just to clarify I closed the support ticket on my own after regained access to my Webmin/Virtualmin CP. There was no response from Virmach at 4 days or so after opening ticket but it's possible that Virmach rebooted my VPS or did some other fix, only neglected to tell me. Also possible that they would have responded to the ticket eventually if I had not closed it.

What happened was I ran some updates on my VPS including updates for Webmin/Virtualmin, after which I could no longer access Virtualmin/Webmin CP on my server. This has happened to me once before on a VPS with another provider and all I had to do that time to fix the issue was reboot and access was restored. I don't think that problem has anything to do with Virmach.

Unfortunately this time I'd turned off the SSH server so the only way I had to reboot was through Virmach's SolusVM control panel- either using the Reboot button or going through VNC. Neither one worked.

Now am wondering if I just reinstall the OS through Virmach's VPS Control the SolusVM problems will be solved... Anyone with a Virmach BF special try this recently?

• @JDMcPea said:
    Just to clarify I closed the support ticket on my own after regained access to my Webmin/Virtualmin CP. There was no response from Virmach at 4 days or so after opening ticket but it's possible that Virmach rebooted my VPS or did some other fix, only neglected to tell me. Also possible that they would have responded to the ticket eventually if I had not closed it.

What happened was I ran some updates on my VPS including updates for Webmin/Virtualmin, after which I could no longer access Virtualmin/Webmin CP on my server. This has happened to me once before on a VPS with another provider and all I had to do that time to fix the issue was reboot and access was restored. I don't think that problem has anything to do with Virmach.

Unfortunately this time I'd turned off the SSH server so the only way I had to reboot was through Virmach's SolusVM control panel- either using the Reboot button or going through VNC. Neither one worked.

Now am wondering if I just reinstall the OS through Virmach's VPS Control the SolusVM problems will be solved... Anyone with a Virmach BF special try this recently?

I have re-installed several including in the past week and it worked properly for me.

• @WSCallum said:

@drunkendog said:

@WSCallum said:

Oops didn't see that. Still, seems unreasonable to not offer support for something that clearly isn't within the customers control (especially when they might lose that customer over something that they should be able to fix quite easily).

@ben47955 said:
    In fact, I don't understand the "no support statement". The no support option was only offered in 2018 and it was a checkbox to check. Otherwise, someone correct me, but all other vps in sale where offered with limited support. To my understanding, it's the "don't be a dick rule" that apply here. It seem to me really reasonable to contact them for a VNC issues as it's outside user control. Should even be ok under the few "No support" VPS left from 2018.

The no support policy is for something that's not the provider fault. For provider fault it's free of charge.

For example when the customer asked how to reinstall OS, they will be charged. But when the customer asked to reinstall Windows OS, they will not be charged, because it's required to contact support to reinstall Windows.

So, it's wrong to say all kind of support will get charged. But then again, better be safe than sorry.

There's a case here on LET when a customer vps network failed. If the customer open a ticket and turns out it's @VirMach fault, then it's free of charge. But if it's customer fault, it will get charged. BUT, the customer has to pay upfront, and get refunded when it's not the customer fault.

• @yokowasis said: The no support policy is for something that's not the provider fault. For provider fault it's free of charge.

For example when the customer asked how to reinstall OS, they will be charged. But when the customer asked to reinstall Windows OS, they will not be charged, because it's required to contact support to reinstall Windows.

So, it's wrong to say all kind of support will get charged. But then again, better be safe than sorry.

There's a case here on LET when a customer vps network failed. If the customer open a ticket and turns out it's @VirMach fault, then it's free of charge. But if it's customer fault, it will get charged. BUT, the customer has to pay upfront, and get refunded when it's not the customer fault.

That was for the 2018 BF. Here, we are talking about 2019 BF. But we can agree, this case is covered by support in both case.

• @JDMcPea said:
    Unfortunately this time I'd turned off the SSH server

Jesus Christ. Pebkac.

Thanked by 2dahartigan lowendboi
  • @TimboJones said:

@JDMcPea said:

Jesus Christ. Pebkac.

@TimboJones What is the reason to keep SSH Server running 24/7? The rare occasions I need to get to the command line instead of Webmin/Virtualmin CP on my server just turn SSH back on which takes about 5 seconds.

VPS is only hosting my personal websites. At first I kept SSH and ProFTPD and Dovecot and and Postfix running all the time (installed by default with Webmin/Virtualmin) but after seeing SSH getting hammered 24/7/365 decided to turn stuff off. I always expected to be able to access everything through SolusVM and VNC if something went off the rails.

Of course Fail2ban blocks the hack attempts but that just takes more resources. Probably not much but we are talking Low End services here and seems to be just common sense (and polite to other users on the node) to use as few resources as possible.

Am I missing something here?

• @JDMcPea said:

@TimboJones said:

@JDMcPea said:

Jesus Christ. Pebkac.

@TimboJones What is the reason to keep SSH Server running 24/7? The rare occasions I need to get to the command line instead of Webmin/Virtualmin CP on my server just turn SSH back on which takes about 5 seconds.

The World revolves around doing stuff 24/7 for rare occasion needs. Because it is a need, it would have prevented this tragedy.

VPS is only hosting my personal websites. At first I kept SSH and ProFTPD and Dovecot and and Postfix running all the time (installed by default with Webmin/Virtualmin) but after seeing SSH getting hammered 24/7/365 decided to turn stuff off. I always expected to be able to access everything through SolusVM and VNC if something went off the rails.

Of course Fail2ban blocks the hack attempts but that just takes more resources. Probably not much but we are talking Low End services here and seems to be just common sense (and polite to other users on the node) to use as few resources as possible.

Am I missing something here?

Yes, you made poor choices. I refer back to your second paragraph in OP:

The only thing that gives me pause is their VPS Control panel which for me is not working correctly for past few months now: when I click on VNC it opens up a window that tells me 'Server disconnected (code:1006)'.

The "few months" part is the egregious part.

• Good news, everyone! (who uses Virmach)

They addressed the issues with SolusVM/VPS Control as it's now working correctly for my service at least.

• please paid your invoice