Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email hosting: Is MXRoute still the place to go? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email hosting: Is MXRoute still the place to go?

Comments

• is this service can be integrated into hosting cPanel/DA/Plesk so it can send notification emails sent by the panel, and auto-create customer mail accounts that created on the hosting panel?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@mezoology said:
    is this service can be integrated into hosting cPanel/DA/Plesk so it can send notification emails sent by the panel, and auto-create customer mail accounts that created on the hosting panel?

Not quite a good fit for that. You could do it but you'd have to code it all. I'd love to do something like that as a product one day, but that could be 5-10 years down the road before something like that might be seriously in line for development.

• yea, I was kinda dreaming. then disable the entire mailserver and have mxroute handle the notification mails, or leave it on (and offer mail hosting) and suffer the pain of might get spam flagged.
    cant combine both.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@17brownj said: Bigger is not always better; I think Jarland is proof of that.

Jarland's Taco Bell budget begs to differ.

Thanked by 217brownj jar
  • yes, mxroute is pretty good, but they are not perfect and for my edge case they failed me a couple of times so i had to move on, in my case we in our company have a domain just to host a unique email for each client, just to receive utility bills and things of that nature, the problem was that some utilities send their emails in waves and some send it in one go, and mxroute first started rejecting all e-mails from one utility and later on started bouncing some randomly, so a big headache for the intern that had to check all accounts, anyways no system is perfect, but it worked great for 2 years before that... im thinking it was mostly a change from the utility company than a issue from mxrouter, but either way with spam filters off (we filter spam on our side) mxroute should have accepted all emails even if its 30 on one go from the same place...

edited November 2020

@fiend said:
    yes, mxroute is pretty good, but they are not perfect and for my edge case they failed me a couple of times so i had to move on, in my case we in our company have a domain just to host a unique email for each client, just to receive utility bills and things of that nature, the problem was that some utilities send their emails in waves and some send it in one go, and mxroute first started rejecting all e-mails from one utility and later on started bouncing some randomly, so a big headache for the intern that had to check all accounts, anyways no system is perfect, but it worked great for 2 years before that... im thinking it was mostly a change from the utility company than a issue from mxrouter, but either way with spam filters off (we filter spam on our side) mxroute should have accepted all emails even if its 30 on one go from the same place...

Sorry to hear that it didn't fit your needs. Just to clarify for reader, every email service has a global rejection layer above the user level settings as it's necessary to run a mail service at any reasonable scale. No two services act the same at that layer. If anyone truly believes mine is being too strict at that layer I'm always happy to look at it. Generally speaking I lean more towards allowing spam through it than generating false positives, but there's always edge cases.

In most cases you can whitelist around it by whitelisting the Envelope From address, but that won't help if their IP is on our RBL (we're cutting out other RBLs just to give sendgrid the freedom to spam our customers endlessly).

• @jar said:
    Sorry to hear that it didn't fit your needs. Just to clarify for reader, every email service has a global rejection layer above the user level settings as it's necessary to run a mail service at any reasonable scale. No two services act the same at that layer. If anyone truly believes mine is being too strict at that layer I'm always happy to look at it. Generally speaking I lean more towards allowing spam through it than generating false positives, but there's always edge cases.

In most cases you can whitelist around it by whitelisting the Envelope From address, but that won't help if their IP is on our RBL (we're cutting out other RBLs just to give sendgrid the freedom to spam our customers endlessly).

Absolutely and I understood it immediately and had a conversation with that utility company (went nowhere) and changed some settings on mxroute for the next month and it did improve somewhat but its hard for any provider to manage bursts like that, plus the utility company switched to some weird in-house system to send the e-mails plus no DMARC and stuff like that, its a mess... i still like mxroute and you gave a pretty good service, just saying that email is messy and no size fits all...

Thanked by 1jar

@fiend said:

@jar said:

Absolutely and I understood it immediately and had a conversation with that utility company (went nowhere) and changed some settings on mxroute for the next month and it did improve somewhat but its hard for any provider to manage bursts like that, plus the utility company switched to some weird in-house system to send the e-mails plus no DMARC and stuff like that, its a mess... i still like mxroute and you gave a pretty good service, just saying that email is messy and no size fits all...

Aye. If you ever return and want to work with me on it, if we didn't already and hit a deadend (it's hard to remember), holler :)

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2020

Any module to use mxroute with whmcs?
    Using mailjet atm with email plus whmcs plug-in

@HostSlick said:
    Any module to use mxroute with whmcs?
    Using mailjet atm with email plus whmcs plug-in

You can just use the SMTP settings in it, that's what I do.

• @jar when will the 5$/yr plan be on sale? Thanks

@Cappuccino said:
    @jar when will the 5$/yr plan be on sale? Thanks

Black Friday

Thanked by 1Cappuccino
  • Yes, it is business reliable.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Sold. I will be joining MxRoute soon, most likely at the end of this month when I have some free time.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Has anyone used LunaNode's email service and could comment on their experience? Their billing model fits my usage well, and they seem to have a multisite setup which is something I pay a premium for at MailCheap.

• @HackedServer said:
    Has anyone used LunaNode's email service and could comment on their experience? Their billing model fits my usage well, and they seem to have a multisite setup which is something I pay a premium for at MailCheap.

They dont seem to have a very advanced / reliable system. All outbound email goes out through a single IP address.
    https://wiki.lunanode.com/index.php/SPF_Record

edited November 2020

@Brend4n said:

@HackedServer said:
    Has anyone used LunaNode's email service and could comment on their experience? Their billing model fits my usage well, and they seem to have a multisite setup which is something I pay a premium for at MailCheap.

They dont seem to have a very advanced / reliable system. All outbound email goes out through a single IP address.

If I recall their big thing was building out a solid load balanced mail server? It's been a while but I remember @perennate talking about Dovecot writing to more than one server. Might have just been theory but I always assumed he applied the concept to that.

• @Brend4n said:
    They dont seem to have a very advanced / reliable system.

I have not been able to find much information, but on this post they say:

E-mail is replicated across two locations for availability, and backups are taken regularly for data integrity (this is included in the storage price).

• hzrhzr Member
    edited November 2020

@CUTA said: Larger companies spend a lot of time and money to improve their reputation, that's why people trust them.

I can assure you that having dealt with 100g+ with comcast that their reputation or size is not earned by trust or good customer service or service at all

• Brend4nBrend4n Member
    edited November 2020

@jar said:

@Brend4n said:

@HackedServer said:

If I recall their big thing was building out a solid load balanced mail server? It's been a while but I remember @perennate talking about Dovecot writing to more than one server. Might have just been theory but I always assumed he applied the concept to that.

Yea I'm not sure... You're only instructed to let one IP send via SPF record in their panel. Unless there's some other validation method that I'm missing?

• Brend4nBrend4n Member
    edited November 2020

@HackedServer said:

@Brend4n said:
    They dont seem to have a very advanced / reliable system.

I have not been able to find much information, but on this post they say:

E-mail is replicated across two locations for availability, and backups are taken regularly for data integrity (this is included in the storage price).

That's related to inbound, not outbound infrastructure. Outbound is important for deliverability / making sure emails actually arrive at recipient inboxes.

• I mean is @jar . Everything he works on is pretty much business grade and reliable.

I've been a MXroute customer for years, never had any issues.

• He was at DO, solid service there.
    • He is at QPS, solid service there.
    • He is at Mxroute, solid service there.

This man...is serious.
    He is innovating in the mailing area with AI and pretty advanced stuff. Yet he is a very down to earth humble guy, at least at the professional level which is what we care about here.

Is only natural to defend own business from malicious or suspicious comments, after all MXroute is his baby.

Good vibes!

Thanked by 3jar adly chocolateshirt
  • @Brend4n said:
    That's related to inbound, not outbound infrastructure. Outbound is important for deliverability / making sure emails actually arrive at recipient inboxes.

I'm aware, it was in response to you saying they don't have a reliable system. Outbound is important and theirs does seem inferior, but its only one part of a reliable email system.

edited November 2020

By all means scale up the outbound when you need to. MXroute had great delivery with one IP for a time. Then it was great with 3. Then 5. Here we are hovering around 1k. For every phase of growth, the right adjustment.

I'm totally glossing over the phases but you get me ;)

• I can't find a specific reseller package to buy. Do I take that to mean all packages are reseller if that's what we want, it's simply a matter of configuration (I've found plenty of guidance for this)? Or are there none left? :'(

@dominame said:
    I can't find a specific reseller package to buy. Do I take that to mean all packages are reseller if that's what we want, it's simply a matter of configuration (I've found plenty of guidance for this)? Or are there none left? :'(

They're on the front page just scroll down below the regular plans

Thanked by 1dominame
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@jar Its very time consuming to track and answer such threads, I request you to save your energy and ignore them and rather concentrate on what you are good at :wink:

Good luck

Thanked by 1jar

@Saahib said:
    @jar Its very time consuming to track and answer such threads, I request you to save your energy and ignore them and rather concentrate on what you are good at :wink:

Good luck

I've got more now. I am a full time employee of MXroute LLC.

• or hire me as your public relations rep. I have a shotgun.

Thanked by 1jar