Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Dedicated Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Dedicated Server

Hello,

As AMD has just released the new 5000 series CPUs, I am now looking for the best price 5950X dedicated server located within the US. From my understanding most suppliers should get stock this week and currently aiming for the dedicated server by the end of the month if possible.

Comments

• @stevmc said:
    Hello,

As AMD has just released the new 5000 series CPUs, I am now looking for the best price 5950X dedicated server located within the US. From my understanding most suppliers should get stock this week and currently aiming for the dedicated server by the end of the month if possible.

Maybe wait for Zen 3 based threadripper

• Tbh, unless you really need that little % of performance increase, 3950x would be a better deal.
    From a hosting perspective, the cost to benefit ratio isn’t that great when you compare the both.

• @stevmc said:
    Hello,

Since the Ryzen 9 5950X is brand new to the market, I doubt many or any host here will have them. I would suggest contacting some premium hosts directly in the location you desire to see if a custom quote can be made.

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
  • @seriesn said:
    Tbh, unless you really need that little % of performance increase, 3950x would be a better deal.
    From a hosting perspective, the cost to benefit ratio isn’t that great when you compare the both.

Paging dr. @jsg

Thanked by 1stevmc
  • @seriesn said:
    Tbh, unless you really need that little % of performance increase, 3950x would be a better deal.

Its the single threaded performance that now makes it an option over Intel. Decent number of cores and clock speed.

Thanked by 2seriesn PulsedMedia
  • @noaman said:

@stevmc said:
    Hello,

I would expect the Zen 3 threadripper to be more power optimized than clock speed focused. Then it is unlikely this will work out to be the best option long term but great for workloads that do not care about single thread performance.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Also @SirFoxy

@stevmc said:
    I would expect the Zen 3 threadripper to be more power optimized than clock speed focused. Then it is unlikely this will work out to be the best option long term but great for workloads that do not care about single thread performance.

As Threadrippers aren't cut down Epycs but rather pimped up Ryzens I guess your expectation is wrong.

Your wish to have a Ryzen 5000 dedi can come true. Just buy one yourself and put it in a colo. Or wait a couple of years because then the 3000 dedi have amortized and many will be replaced by 5000s.

The point that many seem to fail to see is that hosting is a business and hence - especially in the low end segment - nobody is likely to shell out plenty kiloDollars just to get the newest Ryzen model with frankly not that much advantages over the (still) current model, which btw. still is in pre-launch and tests and numbers are based on engineering samples.

"But they did when the 3000 came out!" - Yes, quite a few did but the situation was entirely different. For one, the 3000 really was very significantly faster than its predecessors, and more importantly, about a third (~ "a bloody lot!") faster than the very expensive Xeons. But maybe even more importantly, the 3000 was the third and perceived as mature incarnation of Ryzen and by the same team, plus back then "we offer Ryzen" was a major sales point (as could be observed here at LET). Now that sales point is much less powerful, in part because intel cut down its prices brutally, because Ryzen isn't that new anymore and because there are plenty Ryzen 3000 based hosting offers out there.

I guess that a few providers (probably in the higher end segment) will offer Ryzen 5000 based hosting soon (as in "a couple of months") but I wouldn't expect many offers, especially not on LET. What seems more likely to me is that there will be more Ryzen 3000 based offers by providers who are waiting for the 3000 processors and systems becoming available 2nd hand at lower prices.

Btw, I wouldn't count out intel yet. Yes, their current convulsions aren't pretty and their "new" processors aren't hot, but still, intel gots loads of money, lots of know-how and experience, plus something that AMD has not and that can be critical: plenty fabs.

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@jsg said: I guess that a few providers (probably in the higher end segment) will offer Ryzen 5000 based hosting soon (as in "a couple of months") but I wouldn't expect many offers

We already got couple Ryzen 5000 series inbound and will be getting them online by end of this month. The config will be Ryzen 5600X + 64G Ram 512GB NVMe + 6x16TB, 10Gbps and pricing at 399€ a month with 10G unmetered. Tho we are looking at a specific use scenario for them, but will be happy to give them to a customer as well if agreed upon before we put them into production.

And there are other than engineering samples in the wild. Please stop spreading your FUD and lies. For example, every reviewer gets retail products, not ES. These CPUs have been released and are available. Just because there is demand does not mean it does not exist, otherwise you could say the Athlon 3000GE or 4750G does not exist because it's hard to get.

As for more, just checked a local retailer they only got 3 in-store, but that particular store is ~220km away from me personally :/ But that's the only place i looked at, i recall seeing others having them too.

But point remains, they are not unobtainium. They all are at better availability than many common server parts, this year we had to wait ~6months for 2 motherboards from ASRock Rack :/ Already had forgotten we had ordered and paid for them. Even Supermicro makes us regularly wait 1+ month for parts -.-

@jsg said: their "new" processors aren't hot

but arent they literally hot? ;)

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited November 2020

@jsg said: plus something that AMD has not and that can be critical: plenty fabs.

You mean the fabs that will push out 7nm when TSMC will push out their 3nm?

Intel itself already said that their 7nm is bugged to all hell and yields are quite frankly...shit. So we/they have 2-3 more years of the +++++++ bs. (Consumer chips with their 7nm are said to come in the end of 22 if they are lucky and Xeons roughly '23)

Of course not trying to say their +++++ chips are bad, nah. But the fab excuse doesn't really cut it anymore if they will be 2 nodes behind.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia

@PulsedMedia said:
    ... just checked a local retailer they only got 3 in-store ...

3? Wow, so many ...

but that particular store is ~220km away from me personally

Sure, why not? Why not looking 220 km away and ignoring the ample local supplies (haha)

But whatever, you were right with one point. Ryzen 5 has been officially launched on Nov. 5.

As for the rest we'll see how soon how many providers (well noted, I'm talking about providers with at least a modest amount of politeness and decency) will offer Ryzen 5000 products here at LET at prices that are about the same as for Ryzen 3000 products.

@serv_ee said:
    You mean the fabs that will push out 7nm when TSMC will push out their 3nm?

Intel itself already said that their 7nm is bugged to all hell and yields are quite frankly...shit. So we/they have 2-3 more years of the +++++++ bs. (Consumer chips with their 7nm are said to come in the end of 22 if they are lucky and Xeons roughly '23)

Of course not trying to say their +++++ chips are bad, nah. But the fab excuse doesn't really cut it anymore if they will be 2 nodes behind.

I get you and yes I had my reasons to talk about "intel convulsions" rather than "intel operation"; they really do not look good since quite a while.

But still, having one's own fabs (and plenty of them at that) and having lots of experience is of high value. What has AMD? Nothing (in terms of fabs) and that can turn very ugly very quickly when push comes to shove. Who can produce 7 nm wafers? From the top of my head I know two, TSMC and Samsung.
    Plus intel still has more market share by far. Yes the reasons for that are ugly (like e.g. corporations with the flexibility of 1000 foot ships) but I'm under the impression that the rumors about intel's death are exaggerated.

Also, what's more likely, that AMD manages to buy TSMC or Samsung -or- that intel finally manages to get their act together and are able to produce (in numbers) at least 10 nm and soon after 7 nm?

Let's just hope that no ugly things happen to AMD (like e.g. problems at or with TSMC), that AMD can built out their market position. At the end of the day we'd all be best served with both AMD and intel having a (x86) market share between 40% and 60%, because I wouldn't bet on AMD staying cheap and nice if they ever achieved market domination. That's why I think that for us the best situation would be both being healthy (again) and doing well but neither achieving dominance.

• @jsg said: rumors about intel's death are exaggerated.

Who ever says that Intel is dead is a moron. In my eyes at least. They might fall behind but that doesn't mean jack in the long run. Look at AMD. One good uarch and voila, you're back in the game.

@jsg said: AMD manages to buy TSMC or Samsung

LOL!

@jsg said: Let's just hope that no ugly things happen to AMD

Well if Intel plays fairly this time around I don't see much happening to them. The better AMD does the more money TSMC will also get. Lets not forget that.

Thanked by 1jsg

@jsg said: As for the rest we'll see how soon how many providers (well noted, I'm talking about providers with at least a modest amount of politeness and decency) will offer Ryzen 5000 products here at LET at prices that are about the same as for Ryzen 3000 products.

Nice one, another goal post move :)
    Of course we compare to already paid off Zen 2 systems as well? Would be no fun if new generation is not atleast lower cost than the previous already paid off one, so you can keep shilling for intel?

@jsg said: But still, having one's own fabs (and plenty of them at that) and having lots of experience is of high value.

Yea, Intel can testify they are plenty of value when they are 1½-2 nodes behinds while bleeding money like crazy. plenty of value, excellent choice!

@jsg said: What has AMD? Nothing (in terms of fabs) and that can turn very ugly very quickly when push comes to shove. Who can produce 7 nm wafers?

Looks to be working not only for AMD but also for Apple really quite well. Among many others.

@jsg said: Plus intel still has more market share by far.

Installed numbers certainly, but have you looked at recent sales numbers at all?

@jsg said: rumors about intel's death are exaggerated.

Well, i do follow quite closely and this is the first time i hear this. You really have the inside knowledge, don't you? (while failing to even understand basic processor terminology such as IPC)

again i have to end there, please, for everyone's sake please stop the shitposting. We already know you are an Intel fanboy or paid by Intel, but could you please just stop with all the lies?

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @PulsedMedia said: Intel fanboy or paid by Intel

Dude this isn't toms hardware. I really don't think Intel would care the slightest to pay off anyone here to shill for them.

@serv_ee said: Dude this isn't toms hardware. I really don't think Intel would care the slightest to pay off anyone here to shill for them.

Agreed.
    But they might be paying for marketing agency which hires random forum trolls.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited November 2020

@PulsedMedia said:

@serv_ee said: Dude this isn't toms hardware. I really don't think Intel would care the slightest to pay off anyone here to shill for them.

Agreed.

What I maybe wanted to say is you seem a tad little too sensitive when it comes to AMD. Chill a little. ;)

@serv_ee said:

@PulsedMedia said:

Agreed.

What I maybe wanted to say is you seem a tad little too sensitive when it comes to AMD. Chill a little. ;)

lol. I guess allergy to BS got the best of me there X)

Thanked by 1TimboJones

@serv_ee said:
    Dude this isn't toms hardware. I really don't think Intel would care the slightest to pay off anyone here to shill for them.

And even if they did I would be a particularly bad choice to act as their fanboy.

But then, what a certain (not at all) gentleman really means is that I'm not blindly praising whatever AMD happens to do although I like them much better than intel and use their products since the first Ryzen generation.

• @PulsedMedia said:
    We already got couple Ryzen 5000 series inbound and will be getting them online by end of this month. The config will be Ryzen 5600X + 64G Ram 512GB NVMe + 6x16TB, 10Gbps and pricing at 399€ a month with 10G unmetered. Tho we are looking at a specific use scenario for them, but will be happy to give them to a customer as well if agreed upon before we put them into production.

So, it will be a Black Friday event?

Thanked by 1jsg

@lovelyserver said: So, it will be a Black Friday event?

Yes / No. If no one takes them as dedi, we will put them into our M10G series in the mix of all others, with no guarantees you get a Ryzen 5000 series server. Tho highly likely as new servers with big drives you are most likely to get one of them. If that's the case there will be some M10G specials.

Infact, right now we have plenty of spare capacity in most of our series, we shall see what we come up then. No guarantees tho, pressure is to increase price point from previous years.

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
  • I started all of this by paging dr. @jsg 💀

• @SirFoxy said:
    I started all of this by paging dr. @jsg 💀

Proud of you!

• @seriesn said:

@SirFoxy said:

Proud of you!

thanks dad very cool

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited November 2020

@stevmc said:

@noaman said:

@stevmc said:
    Hello,

Threadrippers are intended for the power workstation user, not as a server. So server OS drivers are lacking. It took a while for ESXi to even work with Threadrippers.

If you're running Windows 10, sure, threadrippers are good. But for linux you need to run latest bleeding edge kernel shit (for best performance), which you may or may not be able to do.

• @SirFoxy said:

@seriesn said:

@SirFoxy said:

Proud of you!

thanks dad very cool

Thanks, should of expected that from the start...

If you're running Windows 10, sure, threadrippers are good. But for linux you need to run latest bleeding edge kernel shit (for best performance), which you may or may not be able to do.

Redhat now has decent kernel support for threadrippers but yes VM support did take some time.