Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Build Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Build Server

SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

One of my clients is looking for a replacement server to be used for software builds.

Requirements:
- At-least 16GB ram
- As much CPU as possible, no specific requirements. No high frequency requirements (many slower cores ok)
- 1TB+ storage (NVMe preferred)
- Company must be 12 months old and have a typically decent uptime
- No specific location requirements but US preferred
- No bandwidth requirements (expected usage <10GB/month)

Budget $45/month USD

Comments

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2020

Reported myself. I'm looking for offers so this should be in Requests.

• Do you need a backup server?

• 1TB NVMe alone would cost more than 45 USD.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member
    edited November 2020

AX41-NVMe with ECC in Finland comes to 50 dollars per month, that's your only realistic option for 1TB NVMe in your budget.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

The "build server" title got me excited.... so I'm gonna think of this as a server build challenge :)

$50 - B450 Motherboard
    $94 - 1 TB NVMe SSD
    $55 - Athlon 3000G - 4 threads @ 3.5 Ghz base clock with integrated graphics
    $40 - CPU Cooler
    $86 - 1U Case - Comes with PSU
    $71 - 16GB DDR4 RAM

Cost: ~$400

With $23.50 in colo from @DataIdeas-Josh , (10mbps + 0.5 amps + 1 IPv4), a provider could get an ROI with this config in ~18 months. Obviously, the server config is terrible for a request asking for "as much CPU as possible", but I had some fun with this server build :)

I am aware this will be a competitive quote. All I ask is that you do your best.

If something makes it impossible for you, adjust it.

AX41-NVMe is on the list. $47 USD by my count. So a possibility. With 2x512GB NVMe & 64GB ram it's well over-spec.

• @SplitIce said:
    I am aware this will be a competitive quote. All I ask is that you do your best.

If something makes it impossible for you, adjust it.

AX41-NVMe is on the list. $47 USD by my count. So a possibility. With 2x512GB NVMe & 64GB ram it's well over-spec.

I think you're forgetting the setup fee. But yes, for 1TB of NVMe and high CPU, the AX41 is your best bet.

• @SplitIce check out tms on WHT. They have some good deal but not 45$.

• Use https://travis-ci.com/, honestly.

@mdr not an option. Client does builds that run up over 160GB of disk per build target (3 targets currently) and without persisted cache between builds (of that size) take over 6-hours per build (currently).

They are already using github actions to trigger and manage the builds as a self hosted runner.

• ok - I can't help with a build server, but I will say that ccache is your friend :wink:

• acidpukeacidpuke Member
    edited November 2020

GorillaServers used them in the past pretty solid outfit

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1828046

$49 with 1.2TB NVMe

I know its not $45 but its pretty close

• avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

AX41-NVMe is a good choice.
    We use it to build Windows templates everyday and the only negative is ... EdgeCast's CDN isn't working well in HEL1.

• @lentro said:
    The "build server" title got me excited.... so I'm gonna think of this as a server build challenge :)

$50 - B450 Motherboard
    $94 - 1 TB NVMe SSD
    $40 - CPU Cooler
    $71 - 16GB DDR4 RAM

With $23.50 in colo from @DataIdeas-Josh , (10mbps + 0.5 amps + 1 IPv4), a provider could get an ROI with this config in ~18 months. Obviously, the server config is terrible for a request asking for "as much CPU as possible", but I had some fun with this server build :)

It doesn't look like that SSD has DRAM, so it would be a very poor choice for build server.

Also, 10Mbps is garbage and devs would be wasting time. You probably meant 100Mbps+.

Lastly, I hope you didn't really buy an open box basic motherboard. Maybe that's just the current lowest price...

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@lentro said:

$50 - B450 Motherboard
    $94 - 1 TB NVMe SSD
    $40 - CPU Cooler
    $71 - 16GB DDR4 RAM

Thank you for the mention.
    @SplitIce We do have different options on our bandwidth that is not listed as well. We are based out of Texas.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2020

If you need some real power, we've got liquid cooled, overclocked, Intel Core i9 10900k machines available in our Amsterdam datacenter.

• spectraipspectraip Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2020

@SplitIce said:
    One of my clients is looking for a replacement server to be used for software builds.

Requirements:
    - At-least 16GB ram
    - As much CPU as possible, no specific requirements. No high frequency requirements (many slower cores ok)
    - 1TB+ storage (NVMe preferred)
    - Company must be 12 months old and have a typically decent uptime
    - No specific location requirements but US preferred
    - No bandwidth requirements (expected usage <10GB/month)

Budget $45/month USD

Hi!

In Amsterdam (Netherlands) we can offer you the next dedicated server:

Supermicro server
    1x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2 CPU
    32 GB DDR3 ECC RAM
    1 TB SSD storage
    1 Gbps uplink
    25 TB bandwidth
    1 IPv4 address

€37.50/month (approx $44.50)

If you want to order, please send me a PM or email [email protected] with a link to this topic :smile:

Best regards,
    Lucas
    SpectraIP