Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

S3 bucket compatible backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

S3 bucket compatible backup?

Hi!

I was wondering if there was any decent free/cheap backup software that can backup to S3 compatible buckets.

I just rented a Kimsufi server, and I'm not sure I trust the spinning rust, so I'm looking for a cheap solution.

The provider I was thinking of was either Wasabi or Filebase

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• edited October 2020

B2 now has S3-compatible APIs.

EDIT: Misread request

Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • I was actually looking for backup software, but thanks to your link I found rclone, so thanks for your help!

• Minio is your friend.

Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • restic

Thanked by 1agonyzt
  • @drunkendog said:

I was actually looking for backup software, but thanks to your link I found rclone, so thanks for your help!

Oh. I misread that bad lol. Sorry!

Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • sanvitsanvit Member
    edited October 2020

duplicacy

It's pretty cheap and compatible with S3 and lots of other storage providers as well, and their CLI is free

Currently using their GUI to backup my laptop and CLI to backup my nextcloud server to Wasabi and OneDrive

Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • If you have access to a Ceph cluster then that's a good solution :)

Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • Duplicati

Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • @Kerberos said:
    Duplicati

So Duplicati is better then rclone right?

• @drunkendog said:

@Kerberos said:
    Duplicati

Apples and oranges.

rclone was built to serve as an abstraction layer for remote storages (a file transfer tool). You still have to roll out the backup solution yourself so you can use rclone to transfer the backups somewhere.

Duplicati, on the other hand, is a backup solution in itself.

Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider

@saibal said:
    Minio is your friend.

Minio is amazing, we recently helped a customer switch from S3 to Mino and it works flawless with their existing setup

• @Cloudcone said:

@saibal said:
    Minio is your friend.

Minio is amazing, we recently helped a customer switch from S3 to Mino and it works flawless with their existing setup

I've wondered about Minio in the past, how does it perform for you, hardware wise? How bloated is it?

• Anyone need minio cluster or replication assistance please gimme a shout

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Minio is prem, you won't regret it.

Thanked by 1Cloudcone
  • CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider

@AC_Fan said:

@Cloudcone said:

@saibal said:
    Minio is your friend.

I've wondered about Minio in the past, how does it perform for you, hardware wise? How bloated is it?

The deployment was on a public cloud server, HDD with plenty of storage (1TB) with seperate access keys per bucket, this deployment had File time signing, PUT/GET

The GUI is basic (upload / download and zipping files) but since it is S3 compatible, nothing was changed on the code, only the URL, access key params was changed

We're also planning to add Mino as a one click app, as it works out of the box.

If you are looking to migrate from S3 let us know, I can help you through Skype or Slack.

In a nutshell, Mino is prem yes.

• @Cloudcone said:

I was thinking more along a selfhosted perspective. From what I've seen, it takes almost no CPU, but upto .5GB when uploading a file. Minio doesn't really do multi tenant, so I was wondering about the memory usage (average vs max etc) of multiple Minio servers. Would you happen to have any data on that, by chance? Cheers!

• Restic is awesome. Was using Duplicati before to backup around 500GB and thought it was great... Oh was I wrong. Useless piece of shit. Backing up always works, but trying to restore my data after a catastrophic failure was a catastrophic failure in itself. I only managed to restore a part of the data because Duplicati kept crashing during DB restoration and then during file restoration. Took me 10 tries to restore 1/5 of the data.

Restic? Yes there's no fancy UI, but it works. Simulated a catastrophic failure to be safe and I had no problem recovering all my data on the first try.

Not sure about rclone as a backup tool. It's nice to sync files on the cloud and mount them on another machine, but does it even have temporal snapshots, deduplication, etc.?

• @definitelyliam said:

@drunkendog said:

@Kerberos said:
    Duplicati

Apples and oranges.

rclone was built to serve as an abstraction layer for remote storages (a file transfer tool). You still have to roll out the backup solution yourself so you can use rclone to transfer the backups somewhere.

Duplicati, on the other hand, is a backup solution in itself.

I was thinking of using rclone sync as a cron job. Is there any functional difference between that and Duplicati?

@agonyzt said:
    Restic is awesome. Was using Duplicati before to backup around 500GB and thought it was great... Oh was I wrong. Useless piece of shit. Backing up always works, but trying to restore my data after a catastrophic failure was a catastrophic failure in itself. I only managed to restore a part of the data because Duplicati kept crashing during DB restoration and then during file restoration. Took me 10 tries to restore 1/5 of the data.

Restic? Yes there's no fancy UI, but it works. Simulated a catastrophic failure to be safe and I had no problem recovering all my data on the first try.

Not sure about rclone as a backup tool. It's nice to sync files on the cloud and mount them on another machine, but does it even have temporal snapshots, deduplication, etc.?

I'll def look into restic, thanks!