Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice Needed for Webhosting Solution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Advice Needed for Webhosting Solution

XenosXenos Member

The History Center in the town I work wants to build a Wordpress based website. They have approximately 2TB of documents and photos they want to link from Wordpress. The user is a novice and needs a solution that includes good support that is willing to answer his questions. Any ideas?

Comments

• @Xenos said:
    The History Center in the town I work wants to build a Wordpress based website. They have approximately 2TB of documents and photos they want to link from Wordpress. The user is a novice and needs a solution that includes good support that is willing to answer his questions. Any ideas?

2tb of documents? ..... what are they hosting! For that you are going to need a dedicated server and if they need "hand holding" you will need a managed one

Unless they can unload the "documents" onto something like amazon S3/backblase and use a Plugin in WordPress to load them

Chip

• @Xenos said:

I think they should get a managed services, of course the pricing is higher compared with unmanaged one.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

We support quite a few wordpress based sites so depending on budget (and location required) we might be able to offer a managed solution.

• @Mr_Tom said:
    We support quite a few wordpress based sites so depending on budget (and location required) we might be able to offer a managed solution.

Are you able to provide that much storage? Most visitors will be US based.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Never fear, @seriesn is here.

@Xenos said: Are you able to provide that much storage? Most visitors will be US based.

Only in Finland currently sorry.

• @thedp said:

Thanks fam!

@Xenos depending on the level of handholding required (system admin vs web admin), we can work out a custom management option :)

• @seriesn said:

@thedp said:

Thanks fam!

@Xenos depending on the level of handholding required (system admin vs web admin), we can work out a custom management option

Are you thinking about a storage VPS with DA?

• @Xenos said:

@seriesn said:

@thedp said:

Thanks fam!

@Xenos depending on the level of handholding required (system admin vs web admin), we can work out a custom management option

Are you thinking about a storage VPS with DA?

Actually I was thinking hybrid.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2020

@Xenos said: 2TB of documents

For that much storage, I wouldn't suggest anything less than a dedicated server.

We might be able to help with web development and server administration both.

What is the solution you are trying to build on WordPress?

What type of support you are looking for? Is it both server administration and web development?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MechanicWeb said: For that much storage, I wouldn't suggest anything less than a dedicated server.

A slab would be just fine for this if the OP is interested :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1MechanicWeb
  • @Francisco said:

@MechanicWeb said: For that much storage, I wouldn't suggest anything less than a dedicated server.

A slab would be just fine for this if the OP is interested :)

Francisco

I had considered getting a slice, slab, and DA, but I don’t want to be responsible for managing it. He basically needs a 2TB web hosting account.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Vouch for @seriesn :)

Other than that, I think LiquidWeb does managed hosting, but their prices are waay off the charts: https://www.liquidweb.com/

• Sounds like a job for a hybrid managed solution like seriesn mentioned.

Thanked by 1seriesn

@seriesn should be able to help.

If you find an appropiate server and need any extra management, let us know as wemay be able to help too. We look after a few web dev agencies who all use wordpress for any new sites etc.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @Xenos said:

you need a full dedicated server, not a web hosting[shared].
    buy any unmanaged server hire third-party server management company pay onetime/one-month they set up your server and they install software on the server.
    you will save future costs. always take a backup of the server with different provider[highly recommend]

• It looks like my best option is to get a slab from @Francisco and find someone to support the user at the library. Thanks all!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Xenos said:
    It looks like my best option is to get a slab from @Francisco and find someone to support the user at the library. Thanks all!

Depending on the size of the slice we can manage it for them :)

DA handles a lot of the hand holding either way.

Francisco