Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudLinux OS+ is available NOW !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudLinux OS+ is available NOW !

XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep
edited October 2020 in General

This seems to be focused on the "Shared Hosting" Market.

CloudLinux announced that CloudLinux OS+. The next generation of its operating system, was to be be released in October 2020.

The solution was designed to meet the advanced automation, deep-look performance analytics, and centralized management tools demand of shared hosting providers. CloudLinux OS+ is convenient for hosting operations of any size.

More :

https://blog.cloudlinux.com/cloudlinux-os-is-available-now

https://www.cloudlinux.com/cloudlinux-os-plus

Comments

• I really don't think they've given enough information to justify the extra $8.

Priority support? Meh.
    Monitoring of server loads? Meh..
    PHP performance tracking? Not meh but.. $8? Meh..

What am I missing?

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • Not as expensive as I expected it. Sounds great and hopefully their support is still as good as it used to be.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@SmallWeb said:
    I really don't think they've given enough information to justify the extra $8.

Sir, it has this, known as swiss army knife of humankind.
    https://www.cloudlinux.com/php-selector

• @SmallWeb said:
    What am I missing?

You're missing the fact it's not an extra $8 at least, it's only $4 more - the PHP perf monitoring is quite nice to be fair :) Whether it's worth the $4, is obviously up to the individual providers whether they see value in it :) Just like with anything else in life.

With that said, this is LET, so anything above $1 is crazy expensive.

Thanked by 3MichaelCee wdmg default
  • @Zerpy said:

@SmallWeb said:
    What am I missing?

You're missing the fact it's not an extra $8 at least, it's only $4 more - the PHP perf monitoring is quite nice to be fair :) Whether it's worth the $4, is obviously up to the individual providers whether they see value in it :) Just like with anything else in life.

You're right, I'm basing it on bulk pricing upgrading to normal pricing. In my situation it would realistically be $98/month up from $70/month for 7 servers.

It's not bad, I just don't feel like I've been convinced to upgrade right now.

• @Zerpy said:

So, this isn't free ?

• @SmallWeb said: What am I missing?

Another Meh...

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

I don’t see the immediate benefit of OS+ personally. That being said, I’ll give it a spin sometime on one of our nodes and get some user feedback to see if they noticed any improvements

• @SmallWeb said:
    You're right, I'm basing it on bulk pricing upgrading to normal pricing. In my situation it would realistically be $98/month up from $70/month for 7 servers.

($98-$70)/7=$4

Anyway I ran the beta for quite some time, and it's a quite nice tool with the x-ray for finding quick issues, but on the other hand, I'm also a very "hands on" provider, helping customers narrowing down performance issues - so for me as a provider, the value is there - it's by no means as extensive as New Relic, but on the other hand also comes out quite a lot cheaper than New Relic.

I can obviously see providers who are not very hands on, the x-ray may not really be handy, and monitoring one can easily do themselves - and well priority support only makes sense if you're heavily utilizing it - with that said, I rarely actually face issues with CloudLinux.

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

In theory from the features they describe, the value could be endless to people who routinely can't figure out how to locate bottlenecks. In practice, uncertain.

Thanked by 3wdmg webcraft Shazan
  • lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2020

The PHP Xray shows which wordpress plugin is causing issue. This is huge for any provider. The fact that you don't need to do process of elimination is a big time saver.

If you don't host much wordpress, then probably minimal usefulness to you.

Thanked by 1coolice
  • nemnem Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2020

How's it stack up to running an xdebug profile through CacheGrind or WebGrind?

• Hey, save a fortune and go with CWP Secure CentOS Kernel

CWPsecure kernel when in use provides the highest security possible on the market for the shared hosting, no other control panel has something similar integrated to compare with.

/sarcasm

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Hey, save a fortune and go with CWP Secure CentOS Kernel

CWPsecure kernel when in use provides the highest security possible on the market for the shared hosting, no other control panel has something similar integrated to compare with.

/sarcasm

I think at one point ApisCP would be more valuable and affordable when you start adding all the 3rd party addons.

@DA_Mark hint hint, some nice in-house addons would be nice instead of paying some company every month for 300 out of date auto installer and another one to ensure those auto installed apps aren’t fucked ;)

Thanked by 1coolice
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited October 2020

^ lightweight control panel suddenly becomes unachievable. ;)
    (It pisses me off spending a relative fortune running Cloudlinux, just to support old PHP 5.3 on WHM/cPanel - all other functions of it are bloatware, in my eyes. ((And no, I need that PHP for "old" e-commerce software.)) )

Thanked by 1Shazan