Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap object storage provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap object storage provider

Hey!

I'm looking to host some videos and serve them to viewers. What is a good and cheap object storage provider? I tried looking at wasabi but i feel they're costly. Any other cheaper options? It would be nice if they ignore DMCA.

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@seeder101 said: I tried looking at wasabi but i feel they're costly.

$6/TB/mo is $.0058 per GB/mo.

And there's no network fees at all.

That is not costly.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @raindog308 said:

That is not costly.

Hey @raindog308,

I agree that the overall pricing is not high but I'm looking at hosting about 10 to 15 GB of videos at max so it ends up being costlier. Backblaze is the other I considered but they charge network fees.

• Backblaze or Scaleway behind CloudFlare.

Thanked by 1sayem314
  • @raindog308 said: $6/TB/mo is $.0058 per GB/mo.

wasabi does not work like that.
    They force to purchase 3x plan that you need.
    They force you to stick to bw only that you have uploaded to them.

For example if you have 1TB with them, they allow to share the file with 1TB bw. Not more, otherwise they will restrict it, or even block it.

Wasabi not really transparent company in my opinion.
    Yes, they saying: "you can have a cheap storage", but this is not really true.
    There are a lot of hidden pitfalls and problems when you use it on daily basis.

read it
    https://wasabi.com/cloud-storage-pricing/pricing-faqs/

I do not trying to say that wasabi bad, they are not, and they're cheaper than many competitors, but they are not so cheap as $6\TB/mo.

It's like mostly:

• if you have > 1TB
    • and you plan to store your data on wasabi storage for more than 6 months
    • and you do not plan to share the data, only store - it will be good.

Also, please read about their "encryption": https://wasabi.com/security/

their Target Audience: enterprise sector, different business, not a regular internet user with his own files.

• B2 behind Cloudflare. There is not any cheaper on Earth.

Thanked by 1desperand

@desperand said: Wasabi not really transparent company in my opinion.

Interesting...thanks.

• hzrhzr Member

@raindog308 said: And there's no network fees at all.

If you store 100GB you can only send 100GB for free, basically.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@desperand said: They force to purchase 3x plan that you need.

I don't quite understand. So you have to buy 3TB of space to store 1TB of data?

Francisco

• hzrhzr Member

@Francisco said: I don't quite understand. So you have to buy 3TB of space to store 1TB of data?

Wasabi has a minimum storage retention policy that means if stored objects are deleted before they have been stored with Wasabi for a certain number of days, a Timed Deleted Storage charge equal to the storage charge for the remaining days will apply. This policy is comparable to the minimum storage duration policies that exist with some AWS and other hyperscaler storage services.

With Wasabi minimum storage retention policy, minimum number of days are as follows:

90 days (default) for customers using Wasabi’s pay-as-you-go pricing model

Thanked by 10xbkt

@hzr said:

@Francisco said: I don't quite understand. So you have to buy 3TB of space to store 1TB of data?

Wasabi has a minimum storage retention policy that means if stored objects are deleted before they have been stored with Wasabi for a certain number of days, a Timed Deleted Storage charge equal to the storage charge for the remaining days will apply. This policy is comparable to the minimum storage duration policies that exist with some AWS and other hyperscaler storage services.

With Wasabi minimum storage retention policy, minimum number of days are as follows:

90 days (default) for customers using Wasabi’s pay-as-you-go pricing model

wat

So basically...if you don't use them for cold storage, and more like a gdrive, they're going to ding you good?

Francisco

Thanked by 1PHDan
  • hzrhzr Member
    edited October 2020

Whatever file you store basically needs to stay for 3 months or you're charged (3 months - (90 - days since upload number) * cost) for it anyway.

@hzr said:
    Whatever file you store basically needs to stay for 3 months or you're charged (3 months - (90 - days since upload number) * cost) for it anyway.

So basically what I mentioned. Crazy, I didn't know that.

Francisco

• @seeder101 said:

@raindog308 said:

That is not costly.

Hey @raindog308,

I agree that the overall pricing is not high but I'm looking at hosting about 10 to 15 GB of videos at max so it ends up being costlier.

Why are you bothering to look for cheap options? That's a few pennies per month total, so what savings are you looking for?

Thanked by 2vimalware sayem314
  • Backblaze or Scaleway or Hetzner Storage

or Build your own (which will cost you much more unless you are at a certain scale)

• uzaysanuzaysan Member
    edited October 2020

Backblaze is your best option. They charge for bandwidth and i think you are afraid of bandwidth cost.

A lot of people suggested cloudflare proxy.
    But you should know they don't allow video files except you use enterprise plan.

İf you serve videos in free or 20$ or 200$ plan, they can shut your server without giving you a notice. İt's in their tos.

İ suggest you upload files to backblaze. And get a 2.5€ vps from Hetzner. Set up a reverse proxy with caching system using Nginx.

Vps has 20gb storage which is more than your 15gb video. And it has 20tb bandwidth. So you should be ok.

One I came across today...have never used them, so proceed at your own risk. They're based in Canada.

https://geeksolutions.ca/products/object-storage

1TB storage, 20TB bandwidth = $10/mo.

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

@raindog308 said:
    One I came across today...have never used them, so proceed at your own risk. They're based in Canada.

https://geeksolutions.ca/products/object-storage

1TB storage, 20TB bandwidth = $10/mo.

Thanks for the mention! For context, data is housed (select a POP) in Toronto (151 Front St), or Digital Realty (New York), or FMT2 (California). For Europeans, Data is stored in Germany unless explicitly requested otherwise.

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited October 2020

If you only need 15GB, why would you need a object storage provider ? Just buy a normal vps. If you don't want to manage vps you could use bunnycdn.

• Scaleway? €0.01/month/GB (S3 standard) and €0.002/month/GB (S3 glacier)

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Stackpath offer S3 storage (through Wasabi) for $0.01/GB/month, I don't think Wasabi's egress shenanigans applies either (if they did then Stackpath would be very naughty and lie-y).

• Thanks all for the help. I'm thinking to go with backblaze for now. Wasabi is totally out of the picture. Stackpath w/ CDN seems good but it's out of my budget.

• xiaopiguxiaopigu Member
    edited October 2020

you can try tardigrade.io :# Decentralized Cloud Storage is the Future :)

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • I am also looking into backup storage on BlackBlaze. I am trying to understand How actually cloudflare and B2 bandwidth alliance works. You are not charged for the data you download if you use cloudflare as proxy right. Am i right?

• @agroup said:
    I am also looking into backup storage on BlackBlaze. I am trying to understand How actually cloudflare and B2 bandwidth alliance works. You are not charged for the data you download if you use cloudflare as proxy right. Am i right?

I believe so, which is a plus and a negative. Without CF im able to download at 40-50mb/s and with CF I was able to download max 6mb/s.

Speeds aren't terrible but when you are trying to download 100GB+ it will take forever to download.

Thanked by 1agroup
  • @jahrinc said: I believe so, which is a plus and a negative. Without CF im able to download at 40-50mb/s and with CF I was able to download max 6mb/s.

Yeah that's true it can be an issue with large files. I am thinking to use it as backup storage to replicate backups at multiple locations so that will work i guess.

• @seeder101 said:
    Hey!

I'm looking to host some videos and serve them to viewers. What is a good and cheap object storage provider? I tried looking at wasabi but i feel they're costly. Any other cheaper options? It would be nice if they ignore DMCA.

They don't support video hosting. I took their help via email wherein they mentioned wasabi does not support video for streaming due to egress.

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR
    edited October 2020

@seeder101 said:

@raindog308 said:

That is not costly.

I agree that the overall pricing is not high but I'm looking at hosting about 10 to 15 GB of videos at max so it ends up being costlier. Backblaze is the other I considered but they charge network fees.

If you only need 15-20GB, we can offer you that for $22 USD per year, S3 compatible object storage, 1TB bandwidth per month. Location would be either Toronto or New York.

Send me a DM to get started.

• i am using wasabi cdn (eu-central-1, amsterdam)
    i have around 1.9TB storage, and daily 200-300GB download, i didn't face any issue, according this i am consuming 6-9TB monthly..

• I've been using this for a few months now for both media assets and backups https://www.idrive.com/e2/

For me it's even faster than Wasabi and rock solid overall.

There's an offer at the moment, whole 1TB for just $4 for the first year. The service is pretty good, so I recommend it

• @vitobotta said: whole 1TB for just $4 for the first year

Whats the price after the first year?