Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skrill + custom OS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Skrill + custom OS

LukvLukv Member
edited October 2020 in Requests

Hi. I am looking for these very specific features: payment with Skrill and ability to install a custom OS image instead of the pre-configured templates.

I've been looking for days and it's been difficult. All the providers I found through Google used to accept Skrill but don't anymore. And obviously not many providers allow a custom OS.

Thank you for any tips.

Comments

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

Can you be slightly more specific in your request, so we may suggest someone?

VPS or Dedi?
    What kind of specs?

• @Lukv said:
    Hi. I am looking for these very specific features: payment with Skrill and ability to install a custom OS image instead of the pre-configured templates.

I've been looking for days and it's been difficult. All the providers I found through Google used to accept Skrill but don't anymore. And obviously not many providers allow a custom OS.

Thank you for any tips.

Does it have to be Skrill?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Skrill might be a problem but a custom OS should not be problematic as many providers either provide some kind of "upload your ISO and install from it" or are willing to download a custom ISO and offer a way to install from it.

• @op Why not just get a skrill prepaid visa card https://www.skrill.com/en-us/skrill-visa/ and actually pay for things like people do with a debit card. By the way, the card is free - so I don't know why you aren't using the tools available to you on the skrill site.

• @SGraf said:
    Can you be slightly more specific in your request, so we may suggest someone?
    VPS or Dedi?
    What kind of specs?

I'm looking for VPS.

I need low specs. 1 or 2GB of RAM and 10GB of disk space. I may need more in the future, but not now.

I didn't mention the specs because I figured I would look at the options offered by the provider (if someone refers me to one) and choose.

• @jsg said:
    Skrill might be a problem but a custom OS should not be problematic as many providers either provide some kind of "upload your ISO and install from it" or are willing to download a custom ISO and offer a way to install from it.

Not that many. I've been looking a lot. The ones I found won't accept Skrill.

• @Unbelievable said:
    @op Why not just get a skrill prepaid visa card https://www.skrill.com/en-us/skrill-visa/ and actually pay for things like people do with a debit card. By the way, the card is free - so I don't know why you aren't using the tools available to you on the skrill site.

I always wanted something like that, but it's not available in my country.

• which country?

• @Unbelievable said:
    which country?

It's not available. I have checked.
    Please let's just focus on the mission.
    Thank you.

• Was just trying to help. I'm going to surmise then that its a country that the US doesnt allow banking with and is not a skrill decision. So my presumption (correct me if I am wrong) is that you want to obfuscate your country. Hence issues

• Digital ocean posted a couple years ago on one of their blogs- hence you are probably going to have serious difficulties

Unfortunately we won't be integrating any additional payment processors in the near future because every payment method outside of direct credit card signups anonymize the data that we receive and has led to a higher incidence of abuse which becomes harder to track and takes longer to disable which leads to an overall worse experience for our legitimate customers.

• No, my country doesn't have any problem with the US. It's just very dominated by bankers' lobby and makes these things very difficult because they don't like the competition. Netteller used to issue cards to it, but stopped a long time ago. Ikobo issued cards many years ago but stopped some time later. Paypal lets me receive international orders but won't let me send. And so on.

• How shitty of a provider do you care about going with? Pretty much everyone taking skrill looks shady in some way.

• Find someone that sells Bitcoin and accept Skrill, then you'll have plenty of providers to choose from.

• @lokuzard said:
    Find someone that sells Bitcoin and accept Skrill, then you'll have plenty of providers to choose from.

What do you mean by "someone"?

I've never found a bitcoin exchange that would accept Skrill except a shady one from a certain country that has been in the center of most international news particularly during this year and I'd rather not name.

I am not going to trade crypto or any kind of money with random strangers.

• @Lukv said:

@lokuzard said:
    Find someone that sells Bitcoin and accept Skrill, then you'll have plenty of providers to choose from.

What do you mean by "someone"?

I've never found a bitcoin exchange that would accept Skrill except a shady one from a certain country that has been in the center of most international news particularly during this year and I'd rather not name.

I am not going to trade crypto or any kind of money with random strangers.

Maybe try LocalBitcoins or Paxful, you might find someone.
    I'm not sure about Paxful, but LocalBitcoins have an escrow system, plus you can see sellers ratings and reviews and as long as you do the exchange on-site, you should be fine.

• I know Contabo uses skrill, but not sure if they allow custom OS. didn't try them

• Contabo does custom OS, just have to submit a support request.

• That is correct, Contabo does it.

But they charge "25.00 EUR per 15 minutes of work" to do it, and it's not even clear how many "minutes of work" it would take.

Considering the hosting service itself costs 4 to 8 EUR and other providers even let you fill in the download link to the custom image in a form to have it provided automatically, I found it a bit steep. Plus, they are the only ones who charge a setup fee on top of the first month's charge in any case.

None of that is technically or even morally wrong, but I figured I should look for other options in the market.

• maybe get off your high horse and learn to use crypto? it was designed for people like you.

Thanked by 1K4Y5
  • @Abdussamad said:
    maybe get off your high horse and learn to use crypto? it was designed for people like you.

I am new in this forum and still have the rules kind of fresh in my mind. Is this kind of treatment acceptable here? Just let me know, because I can dish it out, too.

Maybe you could acquire the habit of reading an entire thread before attacking the original poster?

I've said I can only dispose of funds kept in Skrill, and I can't find any reputable crypto exchanges that accept Skrill.

• @Abdussamad said:
    maybe get off your high horse and learn to use crypto? it was designed for people like you.

I am new in this forum and still have the rules kind of fresh in my mind. Is this kind of >treatment acceptable here? Just let me know, because I can dish it out, too.

Unfortunately it is. You see It in every post. People are just very direct I would say. But you should listen to him, try crypto.

• @Lukv said:

@Abdussamad said:

I am new in this forum and still have the rules kind of fresh in my mind. Is this kind of treatment acceptable here? Just let me know, because I can dish it out, too.

Maybe you could acquire the habit of reading an entire thread before attacking the original poster?

I've said I can only dispose of funds kept in Skrill, and I can't find any reputable crypto exchanges that accept Skrill.

Nothing wrong with what @Abdussamad said. Besides, This place is called LowEndTalk for a reason. You asked for tips, you got a few straight ones.

Please understand that you have a unique problem that is specific to you. Instead of harping on and asking people to "focus on the mission" of finding you a host that is willing to jump through hoops for your pennies, get real and learn to use crypto, maybe?

• Don't tell someone who is struggling to find a cheap host to dig himself out of a money pit after five months without work because of a global scale farse designed to destroy the economy to get real. I can't get much more real than I'm getting already. If you think it's "pennies" you are welcome to pay it for me. I'll accept it.

• LukvLukv Member
    edited October 2020

If anyone thinks I'm too cheap and wants to donate me some bitcoin, go ahead. I do have a bitcoin account. I've had it for months. They just don't accept Skrill and I can't afford any other way to deposit.
    Here: 18a57TL1Q1J2yyLwpbWUCFV1pw5yWHLjWE

• there's these guys: https://turbovps.com/load-your-iso/

they made a thread here on LET too in the offers section so look for that as well if you want discounts

also there are ways to install a custom os with just root ssh access. not sure how safe that is but googling suggests a few options:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13622301

this would expand the pool of potential providers.

another thing you can try is going to the vps offers section on webhostingtalk and searching for skrill. this should give you more options.

• @Abdussamad said:
    there's these guys: https://turbovps.com/load-your-iso/

they made a thread here on LET too in the offers section so look for that as well if you want discounts

also there are ways to install a custom os with just root ssh access. not sure how safe that is but googling suggests a few options:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13622301

this would expand the pool of potential providers.

another thing you can try is going to the vps offers section on webhostingtalk and searching for skrill. this should give you more options.

I am going to read about that maybe possible hack. Let's see if it's viable.

And I found a page that claims that turbovps accepts Skrill. Turbovps do not advertise that on their pages though so I will have to send them an email to check.

That was a useful reply. Thank you for that.

• If you wait a bit someone will come and hook you up with a free VPS.

Mark my words.

• @lukv so corona nd fighting pandemic is a global farse? - you lost me, done with thread

• I have signed up with a provider. I gave up on the custom ISO requirement. I thought it would be better, but I thought some more and decided I don't really need it. The search is over.

Thank you all who helped. I hope I can give back somehow. See ya.