Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a gaming server where I can install my own OS.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a gaming server where I can install my own OS.

VallerianiValleriani Member
edited October 2020 in Requests

I currently have a Intel Core i7-4790K/16gigs ram/120 SSD/1 GBPS network at OneProvider for $40 a month. It's a very good server but now I'm having issues with it (it's crashing and the bios keeps resetting but they are so slow to deal with tickets and I'm getting frustrated.

I'm looking for a powerful single core as my game uses a single thread for most. (Hense why I'm using the i7 over a xeon.) Something similar spec wise to the above would be great. If possible, in the North American region and hoping for a similar price, though I'm willing to pay a little more if it comes to good service too. I don't need 16 gigs of ram, 10+ is probably OK.

Thanks!

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2020

@Valleriani Are you looking for Dedicated or VPS or a Dedicated Core VPS?

I had a 4790k straight out die on me in my old gaming PC. At idle it would be fine but put a load on it and it would straight out bluescreen and crap out. Possible they are having the same issue with the CPU.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2020

Maybe a SoYouStart E3-SSD-1-32 which is currently on sale at $35.99/month in Beauharnois, Canada?

• Intel Xeon E3-1245v2, 4c/8t, 3.4GHz/3.8GHz
    • 32GB DDR3 1333 MHz
    • SSD 2x480 GB

I don't know if the CPU is powerful enough for you. Passmark Benchmark is about 20% less for the Xeon. If you don't necessarily need that 20% of CPU power, this could be a solid box.

There is also a SYS GAME-1 at $41.99/month with faster CPU but otherwise lower specs.

• Intel i7-4790K, 4c/8t, 4GHz/4.4GHz
    • 16GB DDR3 1333MHz
    • SSD 1x 120 GB

Network connectivity is "only" 250 Mbps but OVH network is pretty good, i.e. if you don't need more than 250 Mbps outbound you can usually rely on it.

• Looking for a Dedi. And that is exactly what is happening to me Alien.

I saw those dfroe but they don't seem to support windows OS? Aka my own OS?

• Actually Alien, a dedi core might be okay really. My game uses one thread, thats why I want a CPU that can use one thread very well.