Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RDP Windows Server 2019 Very slowly
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RDP Windows Server 2019 Very slowly

Hello, I have a Dedicated server from Hetzner! The machine have this req:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: 64 GB DDR4 ECC
SSD: 2 x 1 TB

I have the following problems / bugs! Server its very unstable and not smooth!

1) When i am to my home PC and click to RDP to go to my server when server open re-load very fast all the apps to my screen and then go to my last open app / folder!

2) When i click to somewere like a folder or just txt file open it after some seconds and not the same time!

3) A lot times stuck to Welcome page!

4) I have see this message 4-5 times:

Thank you :)

Comments

• 4) You are being brute forced very hard. Are you using username Administrator? Turn off RDP and put behind VPN.

• @1606234 said:
    4) You are being brute forced very hard. Are you using username Administrator? Turn off RDP and put behind VPN.

Hello,

What do you mean exactly ? Yes i use the username Administrator! Need to change it? Also i dont use a VPN at the server! Only to my home PC!

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2020

@Thanos92

You should change the RDP port, can google for some helping guide.
    Also you should turn off RDP for Administrator user from settings...create another user with less priviliges & use that for RDP.

• @Abdullah7310 said:
    @Thanos92

You should change the RDP port, can google for some helping guide.
    Also you should turn off RDP for Administrator user from settings...create another user with less priviliges & use that for RDP.

For what reason need to change the RDP port ? Can you say the reason and more details! I google and found the answer, but for witch part from the 4 problems help me this ?

Also for witch part should help me to turn off the Administrator user from settings ?

Thank you :)

• You are brute forced by bots so hard that new logins are no longer accepted.

Hire a sys admin, you should not be run this on your own.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • You should also change up your RDS settings from the Group Policy Editor, gpedit.msc

You can configure higher security, lower image quality and security, time outs and so on, you can totally change the RDS profile so the bots sessions time out quicker or are refused as they use the wrong seurity protocol

You can also install solarwinds SIEM or similar and find the IP of those attacks and block them.

Thanked by 1Thanos92
  • Restrict RDP port (3389) to allow connections only from your ip addresses, problem solved :)
    You can do this from windows firewall.
    I recommend to add several ip addresses you own in case you loose access to one of them

• I can recomend you a software I use it’s: RdpGuard. You can block failed logins.

• @danielcardosopt said:
    I can recomend you a software I use it’s: RdpGuard. You can block failed logins.

Cyberarms is free. Also, IPBan pro free while in beta.

Thanked by 1NewToTheGame
  • @TimboJones said:

@danielcardosopt said:
    I can recomend you a software I use it’s: RdpGuard. You can block failed logins.

I like cyberarms, very good, it would be nice to see a more detailed log though, unless i am missing something

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Why not to use alternative to RDP, example: teamviewer or remote utilities

• @NewToTheGame said:

@TimboJones said:

@danielcardosopt said:

I like cyberarms, very good, it would be nice to see a more detailed log though, unless i am missing something

I'm pretty sure you're missing something. It's parsing Windows generated logs, but it shows who attempted and who is blacklisted, etc.

• @WebProject said:

Teamviewer is not free for commercial use (and even if using for personal, TV can flag a DC IP for commercial. I suspect setting RDNS also trips their commercial detection) and Remote Utilities kind of sucks (I'm a license owner). It's fine for backup or occasional use.

His solution to change port and firewall allow only his IP is the cheapest and best performance.

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited October 2020

@WebProject said:

Teamviewer will instantly flag you, if you're using Windows Server.

The alternative would be ultraviewer. Haven't found any restriction yet.

Disable RDP, and use ultraviewer. Problem Solved.

@Thanos92 said:

@1606234 said:
    4) You are being brute forced very hard. Are you using username Administrator? Turn off RDP and put behind VPN.

Hello,

What do you mean exactly ? Yes i use the username Administrator! Need to change it? Also i dont use a VPN at the server! Only to my home PC!

Bruteforce means, other people is trying to hack your server. Your server got busy handling those hacker and cant serve you.

Thanked by 1Thanos92
  • gksgks Member

The UltraViewer maker, DucFabulous Research & Development Science Co,ltd is based on Vietnam, beware of using it for business or any official projects. Vietnam or its northern friend/enemy, beware.

RDP with VPN is much safer.