Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A simple review of NexusBytes 6GB 6 vCPU Reseller Pool
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A simple review of NexusBytes 6GB 6 vCPU Reseller Pool

shahyanshahyan Member
edited October 2020 in Reviews

Service: Premium KVM VPS and Reseller Pool

Rating: A+

Highlights:

1. Exceptional hardware. The 3rd generation Ryzen 9 CPU, DDR4 RAM and NVME storage make the quality of life things so much better.
  2. Support Staff: I've primarily worked with Jay. Either he never sleeps, or he cares more about my happiness than his sleep. Neither is healthy, but I think it goes to show NexusByte's desire to help anytime issues do crop up.
  3. The control panel has everything you could ask for: ability to slice and dice the VMs, utilize rDNS for the IP addresses, upload custom isos, helpful usage graphs, rescue mode that loads a tiny linux session helping you recover data, API access, VNC, etc.
  4. Security: Control panel supports multi-factor auth using OTP or Authenticator apps. Disk encryption doesn't add any noticeable overhead. Couldn't find any cross-account contamination vulnerabilities during testing across multiple-VMs.
  5. No downtime in my 3 months with NexusBytes.

Why should you trust me?

I am not a reseller or an aspiring hosting company starter. I am a lawyer who happens to have grown up with an IBM XT – and I've always loved playing with web hosting and technology. I do a little programming here and there, a lot of product management, and even more breaking things.

Want to know if the gift someone got me was a good gift? It's broken. Because that's what I do. I tinker. I optimize. I try to learn everything I can about the thing I am tinkering with. I break it – often and always. When I was 5, my best friend at the time and I would go to the local electronics store, buy simple 3v motors and try to build gadgets. It never worked. On my XT, before was readily available, formatting my machine and rebuilding everything from scratch on weekly basis was a regular occurrence – and it really still continues to be (even though the XT is no longer in play, bless its heart).

On most days, you'll find me messing around with API integrations, OAuth2 spec, SAML implementations, etc. I'm a nerd who happens to be a lawyer…and not a lawyer who ends up becoming a nerd.

So, I am one of those pain-in-the-butt clients. Seriously, I am needy. I am never really happy. It's always about getting a little bit more out of what I've got which leads to failures, recreations, etc. I've had a domain since the day I turned 12 (it was a birthday gift). I've been meaning to create a true personal website for my brand since then. Many iterations of it have existed – but none permanently. And on my death-bed, I'll still have plans to one day host my own website and my brand -- it's just around the corner, I promise.

I've been a client of Nexus Bytes for around 3 months now. Oh, and I paid for the service. I am NOT getting anything benefits for writing this review. The price I paid for NexusBytes VM was the same as everyone else pays – I did apply a 20% coupon that was available on LET a few months ago which helped. But still, even without the coupon, the prices are more than fair for the hardware I'm getting.

So why should you trust me? I make no money from promoting @seriesn - I have no service that I am selling. I am also not an affiliate or whatever -- the point is, whether you buy from NexusBytes or not, life is not impacted.

Detailed Review

Plan: I've flipped back and forth between a single 6GB 6 vCore VM with 60GB NVME and what NexusBytes calls a "reseller-pool" – you get the resources and then you can mix and match VPS's for your needs. Currently running a 3GB / 3vCore VM for my hosting VM on Centos 8, and a 3GB / 3vCore Windows Server 2019 box for learning about Active Directory and ADFS (Windows identity management is a beast and I am curious to know how it works).

I've decided that for my needs, the reseller pool is a better choice because I get to slice and dice the data. A single 6 vCore 6GB RAM VM is great but for my use case, the reseller ability is better – I can stand up to 6 VMs and allocate my resources however I want.

My Location and Distance based Speeds: I live in Florida and so it was awesome to find a data center in Miami. Using just a simple large file transfer between my local machine and one of the VMs, I found that my uploads from local machine to the VPS saturates my 40mbps upload speed from my ISP. From the download perspective, I am consistently getting over 500mbps down. Ping response time from my local machine to the VM has never exceeded 40ms.

Hardware:

NexusBytes is using exceptional hardware. Like seriously. At home, I have an excellent gaming PC with crazy good specs. But this VM is better. I'll let the specs speak for themselves:

1. CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU
  2. DDR4 memory
  3. NVME
  4. 1Gbit shared network

Obviously, these are shared resources on a VPS. But to keep things fair, NexusBytes limits the number of people on a single server. In my experience, I have never experienced a bad-neighbor impact / effect. NexusByte's terms list a fair-use policy for the shared resources.

Speeds:

From a subjective standpoint, this is the fastest VPS I have ever used. No, I haven't used hundreds of them – but I've used about 15. This beats them handily. One example is this: I love @nem and the work he does at Apiscp control panel (Get it. It's a game changer. WHM / cPanel / DirectAdmin / Centos Web Panel Pro…I've used them all Apiscp is better than all of them. But I digress). My install of Apiscp took just under 35 minutes, which is one of the fastest install times ever. Windows Server 2019 install from scratch via ISO took about 6 minutes from the moment of the ISO loading to the moment I was on the desktop after the install finishing. Don't believe me? Check this out: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WEhj6zmwabBjO8XJ9wj_6daO-G2mjzv_/view

From a very objective perspective, I'll let screenshots do the talking:

Network Speed

Average Speed Test Download Speed: 638.85 Mbit/s

Average Upload Speed: 304.35 Mbit/s

Disk Read-Write Speed

Read Speeds: 7886 MB/s
Write Speeds: 4926 MB/s

Okay I just have to say -- that read-write speed from NVME is stupid. I mean, look, there's fast, and then there's the numbers here. I promise I am not exaggerating. But as DaVinci said, "Once you have tasted NVME, you will forever walk the SSD with your eyes turned NVME, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Support

Ok, so remember how I said I break things all the time? Yeah, I've torn down my VPS several times and rebuilt it. During a few times, I've needed help. Each time I've put in a ticket, I've received the help I needed within 30 minutes. Like seriously. Last night, around 2 AM, I was pretty tired and was messing around with registry settings and doing some messy yucky stuff. Decided it was easier to just do a fresh install – but instead of using a pre-loaded image, I wanted to use the rescue mode to run fdisk and create a fresh drive space. Now, I saw 900 gigabytes of available disk space in fdisk which freaked me out because, you know, that's not my drive. Put in a ticket with a screenshot. Within five minutes, I was nicely told that I am tired and confused bits with bytes (duh). Within another minute, @seriesn asked if I wanted him to do the install and take care of it. I responded that nah, I will continue tinkering. I wrapped up my night around 4 AM and went to bed. This morning, I had an email from @seriesn checking in – just seeing if I was all set. I was so dang impressed.

And it's not an isolated event. I have asked for IPv6 questions; I've asked for installation details around ISOs that exceed the file size upload limit; I've asked about the perks; I've asked about buying extra disk space. Each time, I've been responded to by Jay within minutes – it's as if he never sleeps. And he has never responded with a snarky response. He has never been offended by my attempts to ask so many questions that no one really does.

Let's not forget: I am not a web hosting provider. @seriesn knows he will only ever see the small amount of pocket change from me because I am not an enterprise client. I'm not a reseller, a hoster, a web-designer, or a service provider of any kind. I have nothing to sell - and I have only what I want for a hobby. So if the times get tough, an expenditure on a hobby is first to go.

While I was extremely impressed by the hardware, the speeds and the pricing, none of that was going to make me write a review. I mean, I see great products all the time and I don't take time to write down reviews. Hell, I've been on LET for years and purchased from about half a dozen of you and never written a review, positive or negative. Why did I do this here? Because of the support. It is unparalleled.

Parting Thoughts

Look, in life you rarely find the perfect combination of what you want, what you need, the support system that allows you to keep using the product, and the pricing that you can afford. The system we live in requires us to compromise – and overwhelm ourselves with choices. That isn't the case with NexusBytes. I feel like I have literally made zero compromises and I am as happy as I can be.

Lastly, I have been around LET long enough where previously good hosts have become not-so-great. Plenty of hosts that were exceptional but couldn't make enough money to stay in business. No one knows what the future of NexusBytes looks like other than @seriesn. But with him being around for as long as he has, and the method through which he provides the service, I have faith in him, and I have reason to believe that he is in it for the long-haul. Otherwise, why would you answer an idiot who can't tell bits and bytes apart at 2 AM?

Comments

• Ace review and mirrors my own experience ..... glad its not just me that thinks Jay is either superhuman or has one enviable supply of coffee on hand... i mean really im in the UK and I know he's not so i send a ticket late night here,its stupidly early in the morning in most other parts and... Jay still replies... at one point I "saved my issues" so I could send them afternoon GMt which has to be morning/noon in most other parts

Thanked by 3shahyan lokuzard Abd
  • @chip said:
    Ace review and mirrors my own experience ..... glad its not just me that thinks Jay is either superhuman or has one enviable supply of coffee on hand... i mean really im in the UK and I know he's not so i send a ticket late night here,its stupidly early in the morning in most other parts and... Jay still replies... at one point I "saved my issues" so I could send them afternoon GMt which has to be morning/noon in most other parts

Man, it makes me feel bad about myself. Like I used to think I worked hard. But then you have someone like Jay that not only works harder, but is so much smarter. Honestly, I'm not jealous. Just envious.

Thanked by 2chip lokuzard
  • mezoologymezoology Member
    edited October 2020

A company that has Jay as a customer representative will certainly succeed.
    he helped me a couple of times. I call him OpenliteJay now. Tbh @seriesn is lucky to have him.

Thanked by 1shahyan
  • Yeah, you're definitely a lawyer!
    Nice review, and for sure not a "simple" one.

Thanked by 1shahyan
  • Protip: if you want strangers to trust you, don't tell them you're a lawyer.

Your hobbies are supposed to be hookers, blow and golf. Not cheap VPS and websites no one will visit.

Also, I have no idea where bits would even come into play when talking disk space. Fdisk will output in bytes, your storage advertised in bytes. No one is talking bits or showing bits.

Thanked by 2chip AlwaysSkint
  • PSA: don't burn out your favourite VPS provider with excessive, unreasonable support requests, 'mmkay?

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited October 2020

@mezoology said:
    he helped me a couple of times. I call him OpenliteJay now. Tbh @seriesn is lucky to have him.

I will give myself a raise :D

@shahyan Holy crap! In a good way. Thank you for the detailed review. I am really humbled by your kind words my friend <3. Thank you for taking a chance and joining the family. I/We really appreciate family members such as yourself, @chip and everyone else, who took a leap of faith and continues to support us, with your hard earned money, time and support. Kind word such as yours and many others are the reason why I/we do and continue to feel motivated to do the same.

I enjoy what I do and I enjoy making sure my customers/family members/business partners are taken cared of. Contrary to popular belief, I do sleep. We are a small team of 5 people. However, I enjoy interacting with our family members. It is a fulfilling experience to be able to resolve issues and sometimes, faster than they arrive. <3. Nexus Bytes is my baby and I will continue to work harder to ensure, our current and future family members are 100% satisfied and getting quality return for their investment <3

• @mezoology said:

rentajay.com and OpenliteJay.com are both available @seriesn ...

• Finally, proven @seriesn is a living Dracula 🧐

Thanked by 1shahyan
  • @Deepak_leb said:
    Finally, proven @seriesn is a living Dracula 🧐

Nexus-Bytes...more like Nexus Bites...

Thanked by 1chip
  • @seriesn said:

I will give myself a raise :D

Oh. It makes sense now. yea you deserve it bud.

• @shahyan said:

@mezoology said:

Now you see sir, little problem. Got a wife. Can’t really be offering personal companionship now ;)

@Deepak_leb said:
    Finally, proven @seriesn is a living Dracula 🧐

Err umm no. Go away. I love my Garlic breads.

Thanked by 2chip Deepak_leb
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited October 2020

@seriesn said:

@shahyan said:

@mezoology said:

Now you see sir, little problem. Got a wife. Can’t really be offering personal companionship now ;)

Wife: hang on now, what are they offering? :p

Thanked by 1shahyan
  • @TimboJones said:

@seriesn said:

@shahyan said:

@mezoology said:

Wife: hang on now, what are they offering? :p

It is a good thing that she is not in these forums 😉

Thanked by 2shahyan TimboJones
  • WOW, Fdisk. is it still exists ? I think the last time I used it was on Win98. Microsoft using diskpart now, instead of fdisk.

• @yokowasis said:
    WOW, Fdisk. is it still exists ? I think the last time I used it was on Win98. Microsoft using diskpart now, instead of fdisk.

fdisk in Linux.

• @TimboJones said:

@yokowasis said:
    WOW, Fdisk. is it still exists ? I think the last time I used it was on Win98. Microsoft using diskpart now, instead of fdisk.

fdisk in Linux.

they ported fdisk to linux ?

• I will buy to test