Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can sending mails to spam senders have adverse effect on the hosts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can sending mails to spam senders have adverse effect on the hosts?

CabbageCabbage Member
edited October 2020 in General

One thing I wanted to try when I got my server with mail working was to send some mails to known spam senders just to see how many spam mails I can get. I know there's stuffs like IP reputation to determine spam senders, and sending too many can lower the score. But I can't find much about what happens when you start sending mails to them. I have no plans on doing proper bulk sending to spam senders, but send like 50 every now and then to let them know where they can send their shit to. I know I can just ask the host, but this would sound too suspicious and make them go "the fuck?", so I'm quite reluctant to ask them directly.

Comments

• Why do you have to do that from your host?
    Any new email address from some shit provider can serve your goal "just to see how many spam mails I can get"

• @farsighter said:
    Why do you have to do that from your host?
    Any new email address from some shit provider can serve your goal "just to see how many spam mails I can get"

Not gonna lie, I haven't thought much about that. But most have decent spam filter, and they automatically delete them after a while.

• There are mailboxes designed for spam that can be permanent. Others may clear spam like once a month so you can visit and watch how count grows.

To the question, I can't see how contacting spammers/receiving spam over email will affect your host provider.

• Are you trying to collect spam mail? Try to add yourself to spammers' email lists? Most, if not all, senders of spam mail are forged. Your email won't reach the intended recipients, spam senders.

• sending spamming msgs in any way is not a polite cyber behavior, for you as well as for the hosting company

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Just register a domain with public whois if you want to receive spam