Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway pricing model update
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway pricing model update

Just got this email, quite interesting:

Dear Customer,
We need to talk about Scaleway Elements prices. Again. But this time to harmonize with the ultimate pricing model in line with industry standards: per hour (on-demand), dynamic pricing (SPOT), short-term (pre-emptive) and long-term (reserved).
What?
Because your time is precious, here are the hard facts and numbers that will come into effect on November 1, 2020:

monthly capping will no longer apply
hourly prices will be reduced for the following Elements:
  • Bare Metal, Load Balancer, and Block, Object and Cold storage by 33%
  • Managed Databases by 13%

all customers with a non-zero October 2020 bill will receive a non-cumulative 25% discount on Elements for 12 months starting on November 1, 2020
    important reminder: despite all these changes, our pricing remains twice as cost-effective as our main competitors.

Why?
Now if you have some time, here is the rationale: as you know, on-demand public cloud pricing is complex because of the many components that drive a full-stack application around 3 types of commodities: compute, storage and transit. Your invoice is calculated at the end of the month depending on what you have used and for how long. This is different from dedicated server or VPS pricing where resources are reserved and pre-paid for the month to come. Six years ago, Scaleway was launched with a hybrid model, using a capped number of hours per month as a proxy for monthly pricing - logical at the time for typical VPS usage.
Monthly capping is no longer relevant, in fact we are the last cloud provider to use this structure. This model causes many constraints on top of creating negative usage patterns from users who no longer need the resources after hitting the cap, which in turn is energy-inefficient. It is incompatible with a dynamic cloud and multi-cloud approach. In short, this prevents us from growing and offering a better public cloud to all. It also prevents us from introducing two frequently requested features: spot pricing (dynamic and volatile if you need this sort of arbitrage) and reserved instances (which will be paid ahead of time, for a longer period of time, monthly or yearly). Spoiler alert: we are actively working on both!
How?
So capping has to go. It will be gone on November 1, 2020. This will have zero impact for most clients whose architecture is fully orchestrated and elastic. Mechanically, it will impact others, but it varies wildly. To compensate for this change to our pricing policy, we will lower the pricing of Bare Metal, Load Balancer, and Block, Object and Cold storage by 33% and Managed Databases by 13%. With these updates, the impact to some of you will in fact be highly beneficial, for example on expanding storage use cases.
And to thank you for your loyalty, we will also be applying a non-cumulative 25% discount to all our active customers for 1 year on all Elements invoices. By active, we mean customers with a non-zero Elements bill for October 2020. Tip: tell your friends, because if they sign up now and start deploying in October, they will automatically get a 25% discount for the year to come, just like you!
We are convinced that these changes will bring you more flexibility, efficiency and transparency when scaling your business with us. We also know that we remain very competitive, in many cases twice as cost-effective as our main competitors.
While I have your attention, I thought that you would appreciate this one more thing: in November, and by popular demand, we will be introducing a disruptive entry level DEV1-XS with a price to die for ;-) Stay tuned!
Should you have any questions regarding these changes, do not hesitate to call us on +1 (616) 712-9471 or +33-1 84 13 00 50 for further information. You can also consult our FAQs section here.
Best regards,
signature
photo
Yann Lechelle
CEO
Scaleway, the cloud that makes sense

Thoughts? Curious of the pricing of this "DEV1-XS". Probably not interesting for us but who knows, maybe it's gonna be a good deal...

Comments

• The dev1-s will be 7,2EUR, i started with 2,99 EUR at the beginning of the year. It is the second price increase in a few months.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@pbx said: which in turn is energy-inefficient.

It always makes me laugh when companies try to find positive words for their greed to maximize profit.
    But this one is new to me. :)

Another one was when a network vendor announced to exclude power cords from their boxes in line with their "Green IT" campaign, telling that most power cords would be discarded by customers. Of course they didn't lower their pricing for excluding the power cords - but added a separate $10 item to their price list called power cord.

Thanked by 3default maverickp jsg
  • @dfroe to be honest, it's always greed when they take it out of your pocket - but just good business when you take an increase out of a clients pocket.

• Any TL;DR? another price hike in marketing disguise?

(The DEV1-XS from last year are still 1.99+VAT/month.)

• LeeLee Veteran

The price increase is fine when it's worth it but Scaleway is dog shit.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Curious of the pricing of this "DEV1-XS". Probably not interesting for us but who knows, maybe it's gonna be a good deal...

If it's more than 2 EUR -- say, 3, which would be simply the pre-hike pricing -- then their words ("price to die for") can be officially considered to be worth nothing; but I am not sure they'd be setting everyone up for disappointment like that. So even if you don't use Scaleway right now, might be worth it to fire up a VM and spend 0.01 EUR, to get a 25% discount for a year, on top of whatever the new plan might be.

Thanked by 3pbx JasonM babibubebon
  • pbxpbx Member

@rm_ said: If it's more than 2 EUR -- say, 3, which would be simply the pre-hike pricing -- then their words ("price to die for") can be officially considered to be worth nothing

It'll likely be that. I doubt they can offer something for 1eur as it would make the rest of their pricing look absurd. Maybe 1.99?

@rick2610 said: The dev1-s will be 7,2EUR, i started with 2,99 EUR at the beginning of the year. It is the second price increase in a few months.

That's too much for what they offer IMO.

edited November 2020

So, now it doesn't even show monthly pricing anymore, just "0.01 EUR/hour" for the cheapest instance. Which translates to 7.44 EUR per month. And the promised "DEV1-XS" is nowhere to be found yet, as is the promised 25% discount that I should have received (the "Discounts" section is empty in Billing).

Actually they made a new blog post on 27th Oct: https://blog.scaleway.com/pricing-model-update/
    ...where they call the new plan "STARDUST1-S", rather than "DEV1-XS".

• xmsxms Member
    edited November 2020

I am a little worried about my 0.99 START1-XS instances. lets see.

There are seemingly going down the AWS route, which means there will be spot instances and no longer cost effective as before.

This transition is also shit af. There are gonna lose lot of customers this way.

Also the only thing they increase when introducing new plans is the price.

edited November 2020

@xms said: I am a little worried about my 0.99 START1-XS instances. lets see.

Check in the projected invoice how much are you paying, I think it's not 0.99 anymore for quite some time (because they raised prices on storage a while ago), let alone after this change.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited November 2020

Idling START1-XS instance: still 0.5€ (for the "sleepy" storage)+VAT per month.

edited November 2020

@Shot2 said: Idling START1-XS instance: still 0.5€ (for the "sleepy" storage)+VAT per month.

Do you mean powered-off? If so, then might as well detach and delete storage and have it for free.

I'm thinking it was hiked because adding a 25 GB volume on the creation screen, even though it fails, says it would add 0.001 EUR/hour to the total price -- which is 0.75 EUR/mo:

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited November 2020

Yep, powered-off, IP removed, and storage detached. 0.5€+VAT/month to keep that beast (4Gbps!) around until it's needed - a fair price to pay. For August, with the server running and 1 IPv4, it was still 2€+VAT/month.

Unfortunately the server won't boot without any storage attached, that's why I just keep the 25G volume around (can't be easily recreated).

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

“The Cloud that makes sense”.. tsk..

• They are the first lowend provider I meet. And I use them a lot in the past but I tend to move to other hourly billing cloud for my test instead.

• I don't like how they dropped c14 as it worked fine for me. The new setup is not as easy to use, and more complex. Good while it lasted.

• New Scaleways' Stardust instances launched
    https://blog.scaleway.com/a-star-is-born-as-scaleway-launches-stardust-the-worlds-most-cost-effective-cloud-instance/

€0.0025/hour with IPv4
    €0.0005/hour without IPv4
    Both got IPv6

Thanked by 3xms rm_ vimalware
  • @lebidule said:
    New Scaleways' Stardust instances launched
    https://blog.scaleway.com/a-star-is-born-as-scaleway-launches-stardust-the-worlds-most-cost-effective-cloud-instance/

€0.0025/hour with IPv4
    €0.0005/hour without IPv4
    Both got IPv6

Pretty nice deal. I will try to use it for OpenVPN or Wireguard!

• About 1.8€+VAT, instead of 1.99€+VAT for the former Start1-XS.
    Comes with 10GB disk space only.

-------------------------------------------------
     nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2020-11-02 14:14:18 UTC

Processor:    AMD EPYC 7281 16-Core Processor
    CPU cores:    1
    Frequency:    2096.060 MHz
    RAM:          983Mi
    Swap:         -
    Kernel:       Linux 4.19.0-12-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    vda    9.3G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        2.794 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        6.078 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        1.161 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 37.6 us / 74.1 us / 7.22 ms / 44.6 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 28.3 k requests in 5.00 s, 6.92 GiB, 5.66 k iops, 1.38 GiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    351.91 MiB/s
        2nd run:    351.91 MiB/s
        3rd run:    345.23 MiB/s
        average:    349.68 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    51.15.71.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         187.62 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        458.50 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   11.36 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      141.08 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         23.39 MiB/s

IPv6 speedtests
        your IPv6:    2001:bc8:1820:xxxx

Leaseweb (NL):        263.45 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   11.36 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      161.91 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         25.62 MiB/s

Thanked by 1xms
  • ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Yet-Another-Bench-Script

v2020-09-21

https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

lundi 2 novembre 2020, 15:38:38 (UTC+0100)

Basic System Information:

Processor : AMD EPYC 7281 16-Core Processor
    CPU cores : 1 @ 2096.054 MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM : 981M
    Swap : 0B
    Disk : 9.0G

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 165.13 MB/s (41.2k) 1.39 GB/s (21.8k)
    Write 165.56 MB/s (41.3k) 1.40 GB/s (21.9k)
    Total 330.70 MB/s (82.6k) 2.80 GB/s (43.8k)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 1.55 GB/s (3.0k) 1.44 GB/s (1.4k)
    Write 1.63 GB/s (3.1k) 1.54 GB/s (1.5k)
    Total 3.18 GB/s (6.2k) 2.98 GB/s (2.9k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):

Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 362 Mbits/sec | 6.11 Gbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | busy | busy
    WorldStream | The Netherlands (10G) | 365 Mbits/sec | 6.42 Gbits/sec
    Wifx | Zurich, CH (10G) | 130 Mbits/sec | 112 Mbits/sec
    Biznet | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G) | 352 Mbits/sec | 25.0 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 269 Mbits/sec | 2.27 Gbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 112 Mbits/sec | 1.80 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy | busy
    Iveloz Telecom | Sao Paulo, BR (2G) | busy | busy

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):

Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 364 Mbits/sec | 5.98 Gbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | busy | busy
    WorldStream | The Netherlands (10G) | 364 Mbits/sec | 6.58 Gbits/sec
    Wifx | Zurich, CH (10G) | 101 Mbits/sec | 150 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 362 Mbits/sec | 2.33 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy | busy

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:

Test | Value
    |
    Single Core | 701
    Multi Core | 701
    Full Test | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/4505647

Bandwidth-wise, upload is capped to ~100 Mbit after a short initial burst. Download is not capped.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • @rm_ said:
    Bandwidth-wise, upload is capped to ~100 Mbit after a short initial burst. Download is not capped.

(No such burst-then-cap with the old Start1-xs)

Thanked by 1rm_
  • For some reason I believe Start1-XS was better. This offer for Stardust was launched just to keep the market satisfied for now, and cool down negative reviews, after previous price increase and removal of Start1-XS.

Startdust offer is a marketing stunt, and it won't last long, because we all remember how they removed previous good offers or they increased their prices.

• @default said:
    For some reason I believe Start1-XS was better. This offer for Stardust was launched just to keep the market satisfied for now, and cool down negative reviews, after previous price increase and removal of Start1-XS.

Startdust offer is a marketing stunt, and it won't last long, because we all remember how they removed previous good offers or they increased their prices.

I agree, you can also have only two instances. This goes against the cloud idea of scalability.

@Shot2 said: (No such burst-then-cap with the old Start1-xs)

Right, but did you (or anyone) recheck this recently enough?

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited November 2020

@rm_ said:

Sure. Checked it before posting by transferring 4GiB of data.

From Stardust to XS: upload speed drops to 12.5MiB/sec, average 13.5MiB/sec
    From XS to Stardust: upload speed is almost constant, average 80MiB/sec

XS wins. For 0.2€ more, you get great speeds and 15GB extra :P

edit: Mebibytes/Gibibytes

Thanked by 2rm_ xms
  • @Shot2 said:

@rm_ said:

Sure. Checked it before posting by transferring 4GiB of data.

From Stardust to XS: upload speed drops to 12.5MiB/sec, average 13.5MiB/sec
    From XS to Stardust: upload speed is almost constant, average 80MiB/sec

XS wins. For 0.2€ more, you get great speeds and 15GB extra :P

edit: Mebibytes/Gibibytes

Wait... Start1-XS will not get a price increase?

• Who knows.

• Wait... Start1-XS will not get a price increase?

It will :(
    START1-XS cost is 0.004€/hour, it's equivalent of 2.90€/m (previously it was caped to 1.99€/m)

Thanked by 1rm_
    edited November 2020

@Shot2 said: Who knows.

If talking about this November pricing, check in a few hours/days as they update the current consumption and draft invoice, did it get any or not. As for any future changes, sure.