Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows XP source code
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows XP source code

Jona4sJona4s Member
edited September 2020 in General

It got leaked some weeks ago.

Well apparently it's a 43GB torrent. Do you think it will compile?

And how different you think the ntoskrnl / gdi32 will be from modern win 7.

Comments

• Of-course. If it has been leaked, it's in the wild, and replicated, this is how the Internet is working.

• @Jona4s said:
    It got leaked some weeks ago.

You think someone can now find it by googling, on some torrent or on the dark webz?

If you can use google you will find it within 5 minutes :wink:

• Jona4sJona4s Member
    edited September 2020

Yea, got it. Its a 43GB torrent.

I wonder if XP can run win7 PE binaries.

That would be cool. An open source OS that can run modern windows software.

• @Jona4s said:
    Yea, got it. Its a 43GB torrent.

I wonder if XP can run win7 PE binaries.

Good luck in court.

Thanked by 1Synatiq
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@Jona4s said:

Have you heard of ReactOS?

Thanked by 2jsg Pwner
  • Jona4sJona4s Member
    edited September 2020

@FAT32 said:

@Jona4s said:

Have you heard of ReactOS?

Yea, but their ntoskernel seems buggy. (Its a copy after all).

I suspect the true XP ntoskernel is similar to modern windows 7 OS

• Im not too well aware with this but isnt using any part of the NT kernel illegal? Cant M$ just sue the hell out of your for it?

• Yes it can.

• socratesjrsocratesjr Member
    edited September 2020

You can't release open source software based on a proprietary code. Code leaks are punishable by copyright law if got caught.

• Then you have to call it a clean room implementation.

• Anyone that happens to get caught with leaked Microsoft source code is unemployable as a programmer in the future. Anything you ever write will be under suspicion and a major liability to your employer, should they pop-up on Microsoft's radar for any reason in the future.

• Jona4sJona4s Member
    edited September 2020

some funny reactions

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Putin wanted to hack on it a bit.

MSFT has for decades allows universities and governments to have copies of source under an NDA.

I'm thinking that with that much source, Microsoft could have easily fingerprinted the code (move a space before a semi-colon here, misspell a word there, change a comment inconsequentially over here) to determine exactly where it leaked from.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2020

@raindog308 said:
    Putin wanted to hack on it a bit.

The guardian as reference re something related to Putin? Seriously? One might as well link to a Trump-hater site for an article on Trump or to a pro-Trump site for an article on say Schumer.

MSFT has for decades allows universities and governments to have copies of source under an NDA.

I'm thinking that with that much source, Microsoft could have easily fingerprinted the code (move a space before a semi-colon here, misspell a word there, change a comment inconsequentially over here) to determine exactly where it leaked from.

Yes. Factually

• something that looks like Windows can be anything
    • a non internet connected system, even Windows XP, is not vulnerable, and wrt other attack vectors I guess one can reasonably assume that no major chief of state (needs to) surf the internet from his office system
    • A chief of state's system quite likely doesn't run the standard version of an OS
    • one can hear diverse statements re Putin but only very few (and frankly stupid) people call him stupid.

I'd be interested in the WinXP source though and in actually running some good quality analyzers against it to get some solid and trustworthy data on its safety or lack thereof. Frankly, I'm not so sure that linux is safer.

• Jona4sJona4s Member
    edited September 2020

@raindog308 said: MSFT has for decades allows universities and governments to have copies of source under an NDA.

Universities and goverments had access to the Windows Research Kernel, but this leak has all the stuff needed to compile XP, not just the research kernel.

from Readme file....
    * MS-DOS 6.0 (source code)
    * Windows NT 4 (source code)
    * Windows 2000 (source code)
    * Windows Research Kernel 1.2 (source code)
    * windows_xp_source.rar

The leak was done by a crazy conspiracy guy who included videos about bill gates vaccination and population control.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jsg said: The guardian as reference re something related to Putin? Seriously? One might as well link to a Trump-hater site for an article on Trump or to a pro-Trump site for an article on say Schumer.

Yeah I'm not much of a fan of the Guardian. I just picked the first search result for a quick link.

We had a thread on Putin & XP before because there was a burst of news coverage when a picture appeared of him at his desk with XP running.

I'm sure the Russian gov't is capable of providing him a secure computing environment. My suspicion is that given his generation, he doesn't spend a lot of time actually working on his computer. He has fleets of minions to given him briefings and take his dictations.

It seems an unnatural way to work to me - I think of computers as power suits for the mind - but Putin is 67 and may be more accustomed to working with aides rather than directly working on documents himself. I have no doubt he knows how to use a computer and probably does when he wishes, but I suspect he doesn't spend a lot of time writing emails or working on spreadsheets. Could be wrong.

@jsg said: Frankly, I'm not so sure that linux is safer.

Seems you're not alone in this thought :-)

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @Jona4s said:
    The leak was done by a crazy conspiracy guy who included videos about bill gates vaccination and population control.

Damnit, I'm going to have to have another talk with my mom over that.

• It is official now, the source can be compiled into a full OS.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-xp-leak-confirmed-after-user-compiles-the-leaked-code-into-a-working-os/

So are you still afraid to touch the source code?