Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest VPS/KVM for Plex with support for 1080p transcoding & rclone mount
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest VPS/KVM for Plex with support for 1080p transcoding & rclone mount

xetsysxetsys Member
edited September 2020 in Requests

I know there are several deals for KVM which are perfect for non-CPU intensive tasks. And it would be unfair to use them for Plex as the cores are shared among other users.

So far, I have come across a 4$ offering from Contabo which could serve well for Plex. The BuyVM KVM offers an insane value at 2$. But it doesn't have a dedicated core. Is there a similar deal which has a similar value and that can be used with plex for <5$?

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Your budget is unrealistic for dedicated core, unless you can provide a whole data centre with unlimited number of server and min 250 proactive staff at $200 per month

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • The last provider who offered dirt cheap dedicated cores got bought out by nexusbytes real fast and that got discontinued real fast after that.

Thanked by 2seriesn yoursunny
  • Get a dedicated server. If you can’t afford one then move on ...

• HosterlabsHosterlabs Member
    edited September 2020

Hello,

While we do not offer dedicated CPU's, I would not mind having you or anyone using a full CPU Core. You know how frustrating it is to have a beast of CPU with 16 threads and only 5 are beeing used? I have several nodes with a decent amount of free CPU, but almost no ram or disk space available. So I can fit you in.

You can check the offerings here: https://hosterlabs.net/panel/cart.php?gid=24

Best regards!

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited September 2020

@Hosterlabs please be careful what you ask for - depending on you to not deadpool

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Well, it's a common behavior from hosts that don't have a lot going on.

Any established hosts would avoid clients like OP.

• @deank said:
    Well, it's a common behavior from hosts that don't have a lot going on.

Any established hosts would avoid clients like OP.

You are right, it get's boring once everything is automated and all known issues documented.

• KVM also oversold. Agree with group members only dedicated server provide dedicated core and other resources

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

KVM which are perfect for non-CPU intensive tasks

As for Plex encoding and transcoding is intensive tasks, you can get dirt cheap small dedicated server and you will be able to archive your goal, but not at $2 /month.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

You could just download content that's already 1080p that way you're doing Directplay which uses very little CPU.

What's the point of downloading 4k when you're going to transcode it down to 1080p?

Francisco

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • Thank you all for chipping in. I ended up getting a netcup root server RS 1000 G8 SAS. It was on sale with a 30% discount, i.e. ~6 Euros/month. A bit more than I imagined but the speed & performance is pretty solid. This would be my first experience with Plex so, I wanted to get it right.

• @xetsys said:
    Thank you all for chipping in. I ended up getting a netcup root server RS 1000 G8 SAS. It was on sale with a 30% discount, i.e. ~6 Euros/month. A bit more than I imagined but the speed & performance is pretty solid. This would be my first experience with Plex so, I wanted to get it right.

Can you share url?