Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mysql uses a lot of Ram and CPU - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mysql uses a lot of Ram and CPU

2»

Comments

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited September 2020

@momkin said:

@lowfan said:
    From time to time mysql uses a lot of mysql and cpu. What can I do?

reboot

No.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@lowfan said: From time to time mysql uses a lot of mysql and cpu. What can I do?

Is there even a problem? MySQL is probably using CPU because it's doing stuff.

Also, I would expect MySQL to use a lot of MySQL. Now if MySQL was using a lot of Postgres, that would be cause for concern.

• Unmanaged databases for critical env systems isn't a good thing if you don't have enought knowledge about system administration.
    Have a look at managedes databases (DBaaS), like AWS, DO, or Scaleway offers.

• Wait a min I do not even know the basics :) I need server admin but let me ask this

is this load average high for a 4 core VPS on 8 gig ram?

1 Min Load Avg: 20.13
    5 Min Load Avg: 7.87
    15 Min Load Avg: 3.83

• What about mysql replication? master? slave? not an option?

• lowfanlowfan Member
    edited September 2020

@nexlimited said:
    What about mysql replication? master? slave? not an option?

Did not understand. It is an xen vps

• @lowfan said: 1 Min Load Avg: 20.13

Yikes! It's C@Cost all over again. :(
    I've already pointed you to two very useful scripts, plus install/run munin for a couple of days, to give you some visual clues as to what is wrong.

Thanked by 1lowfan
  • Get yourself a techie. You sound horribly irrelevant.

• chxchx Member
    edited September 2020

I used to work for an agency that specialized in fixing slow webapps so fixing "MySQL is slow" can be anything from tweaking a few config settings to a complete rewrite of the app running on it.

I have spent an entire workweek writing a single query before and got very high praise for the results.

I am on this forum for the hosting of my brother's hobby sites, my work is not quite low end :smile:

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@chx said: I used to work for an agency that specialized in fixing slow webapps so fixing "MySQL is slow" can be anything from tweaking a few config settings to a complete rewrite of the app running on it.

I work as a DBA. "The database is slow" can be anything from a network problem to the user forgetting to turn on his monitor.

Thanked by 1cpsd
  • What raindog said, even if you're not a technically proficient you should really make an effort to describe the problem better.

Obvious thing not asked, what app is using MySQL, is it something common like Wordpress or a shopping cart? Or is it something custom made only one person/group would understand without reading through all the code?

Try a web search for "[high cpu] [your app name]" if you're using a well known app.