Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


【Proxmox Newbie】Could not assign IP successfully
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

【Proxmox Newbie】Could not assign IP successfully

Hi, I recently got a cheap dedicated server from Hetzner and installed Proxmox on it. I've tried following tutorials from Google and also tried the methods from Youtube. But I still failed to make my VM connect to the internet. I've got both additional IP and subnet, but still no luck. Is there anyone who can tell me what I need to do? I already messed up a few times and reinstalled the server at least twice. Thanks.

Comments

  • Did you also assign the correct IP to the correct virtual MAC-address? You need to make a MAC-address in the Robot console and use that MAC-address in your VM’s settings. Otherwise it won’t work.

  • @DennisdeWit said:
    Did you also assign the correct IP to the correct virtual MAC-address? You need to make a MAC-address in the Robot console and use that MAC-address in your VM’s settings. Otherwise it won’t work.

    I'm using the "Network Configuration Hostsystem Routed" method from "https://community.hetzner.com/tutorials/install-and-configure-proxmox_ve". It saids the separate Mac address should be removed. So I didn't assign any Mac address

  • I don’t see a reason why it should be that way, as in Proxmox you can add multiple virtual NIC’s, no?

    Thanked by 1MixWP
  • @DennisdeWit said:
    I don’t see a reason why it should be that way, as in Proxmox you can add multiple virtual NIC’s, no?

    but for the subnet, it doesn't have any separate mac available

  • Right. Then I don’t really know, as I use ESXi with single IP’s.

  • @DennisdeWit said:
    Right. Then I don’t really know, as I use ESXi with single IP’s.

    Anyways, thanks for the advice

  • Did you properly set iptables? and added rule for postrouting?

  • @TeYroX said:
    Did you properly set iptables? and added rule for postrouting?

    nope, but i tried unticking the firewall while creating the VM. Do I still have to do the ip tables stuff?

  • Post here your interfaces file so I will try to help you :)

    Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @TeYroX said:
    Post here your interfaces file so I will try to help you :)

    this.

    also understand, that you need to handle single addon IPs differently (use virtual mac) than how you use an additional subnet (no vmac but IP forwarding).

    focus on one topic at a time otherwise you won't make it...

    that said, there are plenty of threads here at lowendtalk already that discuss every different scenario, so try and do some more research first ;-)

  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Provider

    @MixWP when either SSH or using the console and under "shell" are you able to ping the outside world?
    If so then go to System->Network and make sure you have a "Linux Bridge" setup and sharing the connection from your main NIC.
    From there you will go back to your VM and under "Hardware" and "Network Device" you will then have to select that bridge.

Sign In or Register to comment.