Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does it even make sense?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does it even make sense?

risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

A question that came back to me that has bothered me for years (seriously) because I see people still doing this so I am open to your views and insights

Does it make sense to resell hosting from a non-dedicated server / vps?

Hopefully the question isn't a crazy one but wouldn't this inevitably result quicker suspension as business becomes 'successful - more websites, more real traffic' or should it be seen as a stepping stone to establish becoming a 'larger' host in the future... is that even valid logic in this day and age?

Thread not meant to flame but may encourage others what they should be doing - depending on the members views on LET of course.

Comments

• I don't think it's really intended to be used for open selling to customers they don't have a direct relationship with. There's lots of small businesses and self-employed people that do contract work for many small businesses and its just easier for them to be the person who manages the domain registration, website design, etc and have both the control (instead of dealing with a bunch of third party providers) and make a small cut for their troubles, or just a way to get compensated for their labour/support they provide their customer.

If one is wanting to sell to general asshole public, it's better to use an affiliate system to make money. WAY, WAY less effort to get started and get customers, and no ongoing support required.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • The thread title doesn't, anyway.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@risharde said: Does it make sense to resell hosting from a non-dedicated server / vps?

Sure. cPanel used to even have a "VPS" version. I did this for years.

Obviously at any kind of scale you're going to move to physical hardware so you can leverage hardware more (more customers per system) but keep in mind that not everyone is selling cookie-cutter hosting. Some people do value-add hosting (e.g., they design the web site for a fee and then also sell the hosting, or they install and maintain specialized applications, etc.)

Thanked by 2Abd Aidan
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@TimboJones and @raindog308 thanks for your responses - those are really sensible reasons and should result in minimal issues if ownership is taken seriously.

I have seen previously (not in LET per say) but nevertheless people especially new people getting into the market that have focused on running cPanel on a VPS and then loading a few dozen Wordpress sites - the WP sites somehow get 'hacked' and then all hell breaks loose and hence the question.

Surely though, you have renewed my sense of accepting the idea of having a non dedicated type vps or server to run customer websites