Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Snapshot
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Snapshot

Hi,

Pretty new to purchasing access to VPS's I know when I create VM's on my personal machine I usually have an option to take a snapshot of the server. Is it common or not common to have that with the inexpensive VPS's I have been paying for access to? Or am I not sure where I can find that option?

I have been doing a lot of creating and blowing up of servers for experimenting and learning. It would certainly be a nice option to take a snapshot right before making a major change.

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Yes, glad that an increasing number of providers are adding this snapshot feature to their product lines. I'm currently using buyvm, hetzner cloud, and contabo, all of which provide either free or very cheap snapshot options.

• Snapshots require a lot of extra space. While LET usually ask for lowest price with highest resources, snapshot is the cost that can be reduced.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • I would agree that depending on the price point the vast majority of ‘cheap’ VPS wont include features like snapshots and so on

• Even if it was the ability to take a temporary snapshot just as a safety net. I do understand the overhead issue with space. I certainly would not need to keep the snapshot. Just something to go back if I totally bork my server when trying something out. I guess part of the learning process would be to rebuild from scratch though.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited September 2020

The majority of the low end market rely on SolusVM or Virtualizor, which do not have proper snapshot support built in. Solus.io does it but hardly anyone uses the panel.

It's an awesome feature to have for sure. We've offered free KVM snapshots since day one.

Alexander

• mtsjrmtsjr Member
    edited September 2020

@AlexanderM said:
    The majority of the low end market rely on SolusVM or Virtualizor, which do not have proper snapshot support built in. Solus.io does it but hardly anyone uses the panel.

It's an awesome feature to have for sure. We've offered free KVM snapshots since day one.

Alexander

Thanks for responding. I am searching for past HostUS deals do all of your offerings include snap shots? I kind of went crazy when I first found this place and have 3 linux VPS's and 2 Windows VPS's I suppose I could squeeze one more into my pathetic budget. I only do this for fun and to learn. So I have of redundant services hahahah!

• @Cloudcone offer snapshots and daily backup for a small fee. You might check their offer also. This is not a recommendation, consider I just join them for months, maybe weeks. I am bad in counting.

• umiumi Member
    edited September 2020

I'm using Vultr's snapshots for dev. The smaller the VM's size the faster snapshots are created/restored. Nice interface. 10 snaps are free.

• edited September 2020

BuyVM has snapshots as well, and you can use it to restore on other machines within the same DC. I think they offer 5 for free. And then they also have automatic backups, at the hilarious price of 50c/m lol.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@t0ny0 said:
    BuyVM has snapshots as well, and you can use it to restore on other machines within the same DC. I think they offer 5 for free. And then they also have automatic backups, at the hilarious price of 50c/m lol.

Both Vegas & NY have snapshots & backups now :)

Backups scale with price, it's either 5% or 10% of the base price (with there being a minum on small plans).

We give 5 snapshots for free but I might increase that to 10.

Francisco

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@mtsjr said:

@AlexanderM said:

Alexander

Thanks for responding. I am searching for past HostUS deals do all of your offerings include snap shots? I kind of went crazy when I first found this place and have 3 linux VPS's and 2 Windows VPS's I suppose I could squeeze one more into my pathetic budget. I only do this for fun and to learn. So I have of redundant services hahahah!

All our SSD / NVMe KVM offerings include snapshots :)

Alexander

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Francisco said: Both Vegas & NY have snapshots & backups now

FAKE PANEL

@raindog308 said: FAKE PANEL

Snapshots aren't mirrored between DC's so it ain't lying :) If you had an NY VM it would say 'New York'.

Francisco

• I'm curious as to how often restore process actually works. On one provider that provides snapshots, I'm constantly reporting to them when the console or host has errors. And I think often the snapshots are stored on same host, so not reliable if the host raid or zfs shits the bed.

@TimboJones said: I'm curious as to how often restore process actually works. On one provider that provides snapshots, I'm constantly reporting to them when the console or host has errors. And I think often the snapshots are stored on same host, so not reliable if the host raid or zfs shits the bed.

At least for us I've yet to have a single report of a good backup failing to restore.

I've had a few backups not run but I think that's either me not reading a return value properly.

Still, snapshots have been clean over here. We store them on separate hardware within the same DC, same with backups. Storing them on the same metal is a bad idea.

Francisco

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @Francisco said:
    Snapshots aren't mirrored between DC's

I’m not sure on feasibility either practically or commercially but would it be possible in the future?

@LeonDynamic said: I’m not sure on feasibility either practically or commercially but would it be possible in the future?

>

Possible? Sure, just need to make sure we got enough storage capacity on each end.

It wouldn't be much different than the syncing that we do for ISO's. I could most likely just reuse the code that's there to handle it.

Francisco

Thanked by 1LeonDynamic
  • When a provider says they have 5 free snapshots does that mean you can hold up to 5 or only take a snapshot 5 times for the life of the service for free? I do understand the size limitations and I even believe I saw someone saying that they will hold a snapshot for say a weeks time before deleting which would be reasonable for the reasons I want that service.

@mtsjr said: When a provider says they have 5 free snapshots does that mean you can hold up to 5 or only take a snapshot 5 times for the life of the service for free? I do understand the size limitations and I even believe I saw someone saying that they will hold a snapshot for say a weeks time before deleting which would be reasonable for the reasons I want that service.

case by case per provider.

In our case we allow a user to have 5 active/stored snapshots. Users can delete their snapshots on their own as well.

Francisco

Thanked by 1mtsjr
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Francisco said: At least for us I've yet to have a single report of a good backup failing to restore.

I just used it today in LV and it worked fine. Pretty speedy, too.

Of course, it was only fast because it's a fake panel. But it's a helluva simulation - logged into the VPS and it even fakes the files and their contents.

@raindog308 said:

@Francisco said: At least for us I've yet to have a single report of a good backup failing to restore.

I just used it today in LV and it worked fine. Pretty speedy, too.

Of course, it was only fast because it's a fake panel. But it's a helluva simulation - logged into the VPS and it even fakes the files and their contents.

Only the fakest for you my friend.

Francisco

Thanked by 1raindog308