Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bitcoin mining: APU?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bitcoin mining: APU?

dnwkdnwk Member
edited November 2013 in General

Is the AMD APU work good for mining? Any mining software that use Video Card in Windows?

[EDIT:

Watching Smithsonian Channel documentation this afternoon. And watch the history of mining booms, like those good old days in US West. Minners usually don't make much money, those who serve minners usually get rich quickly. For examples, Levis. And now those USB machines on eBay. That's another circle of history.

]

Comments

• Forget about mining unless you can afford a bunch of supercomputers and pretty soon that won't be enough either. The affordable stuff isn't powerful enough anymore.

• Lol, so I bought one of these off of ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IN-HAND-ASIC-Miner-Bitcoin-BTC-USB-block-erupter-336-Mh-s-/251380219853?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a876dbfcd
    I mean it works but it won't be quick money I made $0.50 in two weeks and my comp was on 24/7 lol

• @shunny said:
    Lol, so I bought one of these off of ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IN-HAND-ASIC-Miner-Bitcoin-BTC-USB-block-erupter-336-Mh-s-/251380219853?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a876dbfcd
    I mean it works but it won't be quick money I made $0.50 in two weeks and my comp was on 24/7 lol

$0.5 US or $0.5 bitcoin. That's a huge difference

• No investment. Just for fun, and don't want to waste some power. I already keep my computer on 24/7, while it idles, why not doing something useful

• em....I think someone will start to sell hard hat for bitcoin minner

• Nowadays you need to have miner machine for that, otherwise I hear you will get none. Or if you want to go mining, try mine some other coin, like LiteCoin.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

@dnwk said:
    $0.5 US or $0.5 bitcoin. That's a huge difference

Just let it go. You are chasing a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It's a suckers game.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

@JerryHou said:
    Nowadays you need to have miner machine for that, otherwise I hear you will get none. Or if you want to go mining, try mine some other coin, like LiteCoin.

The mining machines aren't powerful enough either. By the time more powerful ones come out they are already useless as well. The people who make them don't release them until they can't make any money mining themselves. They aren't dumb. It's almost like a pump and dump scam.

• @dnwk
    $0.5 US lol
    I live in my schools apt. so i just leave my machine running don't care how much it makes anymore.

• @dnwk Keep in mind that your idle computer isn't going to draw the same amount of power an active AMD is. The number you want to keep in mind is Mhash/J in which case most GPU/APU is probably max 2.2 The FPGA's run at 20ish, while the ASICs run at 100-250. New ASICs coming online will likely be in the 1000's Mhash/J.

This matters because profitability is going to be determined by the network's Mhash capacity efficiency rate. Given that most of the Mhash being generated is at least coming from the 250's range, the long-term price is going to be set so it establishes parity with the price of power-consumption at that efficiency. Being on the far low-end of the scale means you're going to literally burn money.

The current price is a short-term anomaly and will be corrected by power-arbitrage.

• I bought 10 USB erupters for $89. Dreams crushed when I found out I was making about 75 cents a day. Needed up selling them an and made about what a year of mining would of got me.

• Also one USB miner was more powerful then I could get out of my video card.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited November 2013

Gh/s
    GH/s
    336 Mh/s

i want to learn more, no time to do it, but just i dont want to die without know it.

So if higher H/s then is faster to get your bitcoins, how to compare with the video card of a pc?

• @dedicados See https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison and then plug in the values at http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

Lets say a decent video card is probably going to get you ~400MH/s. That's less than 1% of a basic ASIC miner. At current rates, you generate 0.0004 BTC per day - sold at 0.17 USD for a power cost of 0.72 USD. That's not even taking into account the percentages lost to the pool or exchange.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @sman said:
    The mining machines aren't powerful enough either. By the time more powerful ones come out they are already useless as well. The people who make them don't release them until they can't make any money mining themselves. They aren't dumb. It's almost like a pump and dump scam.

Nailed it, especially considering they probably won't make their manufacturing investment back without retailing them.

What do you get? Hardware that can't keep up with difficulty nor pay itself back.

• I have 20 Gh/s, I've had it for about 4 months now... It's generated me over $1.5k and the miners cost me $419 including power usage. Granted they're getting antiquated and it's almost pointless now... I'd need to buy 1 Gh/s at like $0.9 to make a profit now.

• Bought a 5GH/s miner in Feburary. It arrived in September... It would've made me all my money back in a month if it arrived in March. Now it will take 9 months (not including power costs) to make it back...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Frost said:
    What do you get? Hardware that can't keep up with difficulty nor pay itself back.

Wasn't always true, obviously, but it's becoming increasingly true. Mining is a bad investment right now.

• @jarland said:
    Wasn't always true, obviously, but it's becoming increasingly true. Mining is a bad investment right now.

Because mining isn't meant to make (much) profit :-) Mining is to give an actual value to BTC.

The more BTCs are mined, the more difficult mining becomes, the reward goes down too. I'm not entirely sure about the algorithm but if it's linear the remaining amount of bitcoins will never actually all get mined (instead the remaining will get smaller and smaller, as in 1 / 0)

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited November 2013

Watching Smithsonian Channel documentation this afternoon. And watch the history of mining booms, like those good old days in US West. Minners usually don't make much money, those who serve minners usually get rich quickly. For examples, Levis. And now those USB machines on eBay. That's another circle of history.

Thanked by 2Zen dedicados
  • @BlueVM said:
    I have ...

so is not worth it?

• i see then, the real profit and deal is

buy them when are down, and sell them when are high.

i dont see any other purpouse

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@dedicados said:
    i see then, the real profit and deal is

buy them when are down, and sell them when are high.

i dont see any other purpouse

I've been spending the last month mining a little just to get a handle on what it's all about and run some math for fun, just because people talk it up so much. I have pretty much reached the conclusion that bitcoin mining is too risky of an investment as the difficulty increase is more out of control than the price, and the alt coins are basically at a point where buying them is at least similar in cost to mining them. There's really not a good investment to be made here.

Once people feel unable to join in bitcoin without already being in it, the alt coins will start running the same route, and it's just another market where the wealthy control it and the not so wealthy see it as the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow as @sman said quite well. Quite simply this is no longer an easy way to make a buck and anyone looking for one should just walk past.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Trading is better then mining?

• @jarland thanks bro.

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    Trading is better then mining?

Just like trading a foreign currency and mining gold in real world. NO difference

• Also no one has really brought up the skyrocketing difficulty yet, not piratical to start no unless you plan to drop a lot of money into it. http://bitcoindifficulty.com/