Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I use custom nameservers along with CNAME?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can I use custom nameservers along with CNAME?

rEDrED Member

I am in bit of a hassle.

I have a website with custom nameservers ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com

but I also need to add a CNAME on it because it's required by the application I am using.

Is there a way to achieve this? I am unable to edit DNS records from my domain registrar side since I am using custom nameservers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

You need to point your domain name using nameserver records or A record to IPv4, in both case you can create plenty of CNAME records.

• @rED said: I am unable to edit DNS records from my domain registrar side since I am using custom nameservers.

so? obviously the cname records have to be added at your custom nameservers then.

• @WebProject said:
    You need to point your domain name using nameserver records or A record to IPv4, in both case you can create plenty of CNAME records.

I am not sure if you understand the problem.

I am unable to add a CNAME record from my registrar because if says I have to use their DNS to do so.

And I cannot use their DNS because I have custom nameservers which are needed and cannot be changed. Kind of an impasse.

• @Falzo said:

@rED said: I am unable to edit DNS records from my domain registrar side since I am using custom nameservers.

so? obviously the cname records have to be added at your custom nameservers then.

Sorry I am noob, how can I do that?

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@rED said:

@Falzo said:

@rED said: I am unable to edit DNS records from my domain registrar side since I am using custom nameservers.

What control panel are you using to manage your domain/website?

• Do it in your Zone editor if you are using cpanel.

• @vero said:

@rED said:

@Falzo said:

My vps provider uses proxmox control panel and my domain is from namesilo.

• @Intelpentium0 said:
    Do it in your Zone editor if you are using cpanel.

I am not using cpanel :(
    Any alternative way?

@rED said:
    Any alternative way?

You should ask the one who set up custom name servers for you.

• @vero said:

@rED said:
    Any alternative way?

You should ask the one who set up custom name servers for you.

Actually I am the one who did that haha.

It seems I will have to set it from my hosting side only, I'll ask hosting provider.

Thanks all.

• the nameservers are hosted on your VPS or are they your VPS provider's?

if they are hosted on your VPS then you change them using whatever hosting control panel you have. if you have no control panel then you should ssh in and manually change it.

if they are hosted by your provider then they must have provided you with a control panel to add/remove/modify dns records.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @Abdussamad said:
    the nameservers are hosted on your VPS or are they your VPS provider's?

if they are hosted on your VPS then you change them using whatever hosting control panel you have. if you have no control panel then you should ssh in and manually change it.

if they are hosted by your provider then they must have provided you with a control panel to add/remove/modify dns records.

I've set my nameservers in namesilo as custom nameservers like this

ns1.mywebsite.com ns1.mywebsite.com

And mywebsite.com is hosted on a vps, so that means nameservers are hosted on my vps correct?

@rED said:

And mywebsite.com is hosted on a vps, so that means nameservers are hosted on my vps correct?

Do they exist at all (except as records at registrar)?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@rED said:

@Abdussamad said:

If you do host your website your self you should have done the following way:
    ns1 record pointed to 1 IPv4 address
    ns2 record pointed to the same as above or better to the second IPv4 address

or

alternatively at least pointed A record to IPv4 address

What control panel do you use on your VPS? or do you use ssh to manage your VPS and installed named / bind software?

• @vero said:

@rED said:

Do they exist at all (except as records at registrar)?

Yes, I've bind both nameservers appropriate ip's and then only I've added these as custom nameservers.

• @WebProject said:

@rED said:

@Abdussamad said:

If you do host your website your self you should have done the following way:
    ns1 record pointed to 1 IPv4 address
    ns2 record pointed to the same as above or better to the second IPv4 address

or

alternatively at least pointed A record to IPv4 address

What control panel do you use on your VPS? or do you use ssh to manage your VPS and installed named / bind software?

Yes I've already done exactly that.

ns1.mywebsite.com >> ipv4
    ns2.mywebsite.com >> 2nd ipv4

I didn't install any control panel, default was proxmox.

Yes I use SSH to manage my VPS but I didn't install NAMED(I just checked now)

• amadex1337amadex1337 Member
    edited September 2020

Install HestiaCP with Apache2+Named only and you can manage DNS from there (beginner way).
    https://gabizz.github.io/hestiacp-scriptline-generator/

• If you have the namesevers for the domain that you wish to add a cname for already set at namesilo to ns1.mywebsite.com ns2.mywebsite.com then there is nothing to do at namesilo. You just need to add your cname record to the ns1.mywebsite.com ns2.mywebsite.com dns record for the domain .hosts file.

If you are running ns1.mywebsite.com ns2.mywebsite.com on your own vpses a bind cname would look like this:

www.example.com. 3600 IN CNAME toexample.com.

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2020

Would be better if you just post the domain here? Maybe someone can lookup what is wrong.

Thanked by 1FrankZ

Both DNS servers and your site should be running on different machines each. It makes no sense to diminish an availability of DNS service registrar provides you with. Except you just want them to be named differently, but putting all these together is big NO NO.

• @vero said:
    Both DNS servers and your site should be running on different machines each.

but can a controlpanel control another vps to add/remove sites at leat ?

@mezoology said:

@vero said:
    Both DNS servers and your site should be running on different machines each.

but can a controlpanel control another vps to add/remove sites at leat ?

Depends on control panel. If you mean AXFR - there are different methods as well.

• @vero said:
    Depends on control panel. If you mean AXFR - there are different methods as well.

lets say Plesk, or Directadmin?

• @rED you misunderstood what an NS entry is for. you should only change these to custom records if you know what you are doing and how to setup and handle dns servers ;-)

if you don't have own dns servers at all, simply leave these settings untouched, e.g. use namesilos nameservers (you can switch back to them easily). after you corrected that, you can handle your A, CNAME, MX settings and whatnot within namesilo directly and live happily ever after.

• @rED said: Actually I am the one who did that haha.

Add cname in your hosting control panel not your registrar if your dns is self managed or in the control panel of the dns provider if it is managed by someone else

• @vero said:

@rED said:

@Falzo said:

I have an option of using CWP, VestaCP and Web GUI webmin. Can I change in any of these??

• sure for virtualmin (it's include webmin)
    it's more easy way

@rED said:
    I have an option of using CWP, VestaCP and Web GUI webmin. Can I change in any of these??

You don't even need a panel to change DNS records (it's just easier and automatized with it). You only need to have running DNS server and access to it. CWP has somewhat DNS cluster (not familiar with it), so I guess you can setup DNS slaves quite easily as well. But again - I'm not sure what you're up to.

@mezoology said:

@vero said:

lets say Plesk, or Directadmin?

Both these have options to manage zone info on remote DNS servers if that's what you asked.

• yes, real men work with command prompt
    little learning gain more efficient

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • @rED said:

mywebsite.com is different from the nameservers ns1.mywebsite.com etc. what are the nameservers for mywebsite.com?

this would all be a lot easier if you just shared the domain names with us so we can lookup the records ourselves.