Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

โ€บ Which DNS provider and why?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which DNS provider and why?

Hi LET,

I'm on the hunt for a new DNS provider for 20+ domains and looking for some recommendations.

Doesn't have to be free ๐Ÿ˜Š

Comments

• Cloudflare because why pay when it can be free

• JarryJarry Member
    edited August 2020

If you plan to do something "not so common" with your domains (i.e. dnssec, dkim, dmarc, spf, dane, etc), it is just a matter of time when you get sick of cumbersome web-interfaces and incompetent support-stuff, and end up running your own dn-servers...

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

HE

Thanked by 1lokuzard
  • Give ClouDNS (https://www.cloudns.net/) a try. I've been quite happy with them. Their anycast isn't great at some locations (unlike Cloudflare which has way more Pops) but otherwise it is very convenient.

@BoyanPeychev used to be active here but I guess not so much now.

Zilore (http://zilore.com/) is another alternative (other than the usual suspects of NS1, Route53, EasyDNS...)

• @codelock said:
    Cloudflare because why pay when it can be free

I do use CloudFlare for all my websites.

They offer a free DNS service which you can opt for. You do get the option to take advantage of their CDN service with DDoS protection.

• CloudFlare

• pbxpbx Member

Vultr
    HE
    CF

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

HE. It just feels better and more free than CF. :)

• I've been using freedns.afraid.org for many years without issues

• Using Amazon Route 53 currently but I really also like dnsmadeeasy.com

• Use your registrar's DNS service, which is free 99% of times.

If you want something better, use Cloudflare. You can build your own DNS servers if you would like to manage it yourself.

If websites are mission critical, you can use paid services.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

My registrar's DNS.

Because I'm lazy.

Thanked by 1pike
  • Cloudflare without CDN.

• Yeah, PorkBun if registrar. ClouDNS if you just want DNS hosting.

• Rage4 is performing very well for me. I use it as it comes included with X4B. Canโ€™t comment on pricing.

• I'm on ClouDNS. It's reliable, simple and the UI is straight to the point.

Cloudflare's DNS portal lags with the ton of Javascript that runs if you have a lot of records for a domain.

• Only problem I have with ClouDNS is you cannot create a root CNAME...

Benchmarking with DNSPref is showing Cloudflare as the best contender so far.

Thanks for all the feedback

• OhJohnOhJohn Member
    edited August 2020

Has anyone ever tried dnsmadeeasy? I thought about using them as a secondary dns provider (good idea for any CF users w/ their outages ;) ) but then this will get complicated for geodns...

@acidpuke why did you moved from dme to route53?

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I use Zilore or Cloudflare. Depends on what I need the domain for.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I bought the DA personal license Setup on a hetzner cloud and linked it to my Main DA server and made my own cluster. = no limits.

• edited August 2020

@Gravely said:
    Only problem I have with ClouDNS is you cannot create a root CNAME...

Benchmarking with DNSPref is showing Cloudflare as the best contender so far.

Thanks for all the feedback

Well, it is for a good reason.

ALIAS records exist which can be used on the root if that works for your use case though.

• ns1, geoscaling