Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows VPS

Does any provider offer and Windows 10 desktop as a VPS? I would like something to RDP into while at work to surf and do some light work on. I am new here and still getting the lay of the land but it is certainly addicting since I already have purchased services from 3 different providers in less then a week hahahah!

Thanked by 1raindog308

Comments

• Why not standard windows server 19?

• @seriesn said:
    Why not standard windows server 19?

I do have a VPS that I found here and it offered 20GB space. When the OS was installed it left me less then 3GB space. The provider was cool about it and did give me another 10 GB breathing room which helped. I was hoping that maybe Win10 would be a little faster but I am very familiar with multiple version of Windows server. Just not hosted elsewhere .

• Google "cloud at cost" and although some might balk, they have been reliable as of late, especially for the occasional Windows desktop. I wouldn't trust them with anything mission critical, but it's perfect for spinning up Windows 10, which they offer as a template. You can currently buy 4 vCPU Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB disk, on a 1Gbit (but feels more like 10 megabit) for 12 payments of $39.99, and then those resources are yours to keep forever. They have an older infrastructure/hardware they offer for slightly cheaper.
    Because you're buying resources, you can deploy them any way you wish, like in this case build 2 4GB RAM / 40GB DISK instances if you wish. They're located in Canada.

Another option is if you have your own Windows 10 ISO and product key is to sign up for a service like Vultr, and deploy a VPS with your custom ISO. In this case, you can buy a VM with 80 GB SSD, 2 CPU, 4 GB RAM and 3TB for $20/mo perpetually. You can deploy in multiple geographical locations.

• hzrhzr Member

@ruggieroav said: forever

this screams pyramid scheme.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I don't know what location you're looking in, but if you don't mind a bit of tinkering then I would recommend Hetzner Cloud for a Windows instance.

I live in a Remote Desktop for the most part (I find it really convenient) and the Hetzner machine seems to be able to keep up with the task.

The Desktop and Server editions are no huge difference from my tests, in fact the full client version of Windows 10 is slower from my experience. I have been using these sorts of set ups for a very long time and the server OS provides all that is needed.

• @LordSpock said:
    I don't know what location you're looking in, but if you don't mind a bit of tinkering then I would recommend Hetzner Cloud for a Windows instance.

I live in a Remote Desktop for the most part (I find it really convenient) and the Hetzner machine seems to be able to keep up with the task.

The Desktop and Server editions are no huge difference from my tests, in fact the full client version of Windows 10 is slower from my experience. I have been using these sorts of set ups for a very long time and the server OS provides all that is needed.

I am on the East Coast USA do you think Hetzner would work out in my location?

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@mtsjr said:

@LordSpock said:

It is very likely that should be okay, they are based in Germany and Finland. They bill hourly so it may be worth setting one up for the sake of $0.50 and seeing if it works out for you at all.

• Ah. Windows desktop is pretty bulky. > @mtsjr said:

@LordSpock said:

From the states to hetzner, with RDP, you might not really enjoy it as much :(.

Look Into DO/vultr, if you want cloud type of instance.. Check us out if you want something closer to home (NY/Miami) :). Our birthday promo is available on this forum.

For Windows instance, our VPS-2G might be a good starting point, however depending on your usage type, https://my.nexusbytes.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=163 might be a super dope and powerful option :)

• AK_KWHAK_KWH Member, Patron Provider

@mtsjr said:
    Does any provider offer and Windows 10 desktop as a VPS? I would like something to RDP into while at work to surf and do some light work on. I am new here and still getting the lay of the land but it is certainly addicting since I already have purchased services from 3 different providers in less then a week hahahah!

Hi
    Yes we can just provide us the os :) we will install it for you or u can do own by mounting your custom os
    Checkout our plans
    Khanwebhost.com/us-kvm-vps.php
    Khanwebhost.com/de-kvm-vps.php

• you can use the custom OS or contact your provider they setup template win10 so you install from your end,

• @ruggieroav said: Google "cloud at cost" and although some might balk, they have been reliable as of late,

I would stay away from "lifetime" deals.

Recent reviews are just as bad as they were in the past. https://www.trustpilot.com/review/cloudatcost.com

• @arifur said:

@ruggieroav said: Google "cloud at cost" and although some might balk, they have been reliable as of late,

I would stay away from "lifetime" deals.

Recent reviews are just as bad as they were in the past. https://www.trustpilot.com/review/cloudatcost.com

Oh, you don't get one now. But if you got one back in like 2014 on an 80% off deal, it's been well worth it if you don't use it for production use. It's the Host Solutions equivalent in Canada.

But their uptime is way, way better now than years ago, you cannot argue that if you actually have servers with them.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@mhosting_in said: you can use the custom OS or contact your provider they setup template win10 so you install from your end,

My understanding is that this violates Microsoft's licensing terms.

BuyVM (@Francisco) sells VPSes that come with free windows licenses, and they're in Las Vegas or New York.

https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices/

@TimboJones said: It's the Host Solutions equivalent in Canada.

Instead of perfume and Romanian insults, you get maple syrup and a Quebecois accent.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said: , you get maple syrup and a Quebecois accent.

Tabernac!

Francisco

• @raindog308 said:

@mhosting_in said: you can use the custom OS or contact your provider they setup template win10 so you install from your end,

My understanding is that this violates Microsoft's licensing terms.

BuyVM (@Francisco) sells VPSes that come with free windows licenses, and they're in Las Vegas or New York.

https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices/

@TimboJones said: It's the Host Solutions equivalent in Canada.

Instead of perfume and Romanian insults, you get maple syrup and a Quebecois accent.

They're in Ontario (English), so you get a "sorry" every time they lose your VM.