Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB/LET benchmarks - vps benchmark 2.x - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB/LET benchmarks - vps benchmark 2.x

13»

Comments

• @kalipus said: missing source code

This has been explained before.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@kalipus said:
    missing source code, units in test results and some formatting, export to html and bbcode/markdown would be nice future feature

Sorry but as I do not know your favorite color I couldn't paint it nicely to please you after building in a browser, javascript, nodejs, and a video viewer too.

In other words: I already did all the hard work, feel free to create rainbow unicorns and other things you desire yourself.

• @kalipus said:
    missing source code, units in test results and some formatting, export to html and bbcode/markdown would be nice future feature

You can have any colour you want, so long as it's black.

• it is about readability and usability, it has nothing to do with my favorite colors.

good work, but without source, it is just a tool i will not use and it is nothing someone should use.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited September 2020

@jsg said: Since when is there an obligation to also publish the source?

No personal attack here — just wanted to point out that some people do care about knowing what they’re running.

Result: Not even 3 people downloaded the source and highly likely no more than 1 or 2 (if that) actually looked at it.

Sure — we might be a small niche — but you can’t really blame us for low usage. It was harder to find than a generic benchmark bash file.

Since when is there a rule that investing dozens of hours to develop something and to make it freely available for the community isn't good enough?

You’re absolutely right. It’s your work and it’s your choice on whether your source is public or not.

TL;DR

• You delivered software that (honestly) no one asked for.
    • People bashed you for not making the source open despite it being your hard work.
    • This thread dragged on for no reason (no one was using v1, let alone v2 — people were still getting PMS over this). If you don’t like how he manages the source, use something else (if you even bother to benchmark your servers anyway).
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2020

@kalipus said:
    it is about readability and usability, it has nothing to do with my favorite colors.

good work, but without source, it is just a tool i will not use and it is nothing someone should use.

Well, then don't use it. Simple as that.

@doghouch said:

@jsg said: Since when is there an obligation to also publish the source?

No personal attack here — just wanted to point out that some people do care about knowing what they’re running.

Largely pure theory. Many asked, even demanded source of v1 ... and virtually nobody looked at it. At all.
    There is no proof that foss software is better or less vulnerable than closed source software. foss has become a quasi religion for many and they simply blather their mantra. That can be proven.

Funny btw. that next to nobody has any problem downloading and running bash code - which actually is a major security risk.

Sure — we might be a small niche — but you can’t really blame us for low usage. It was harder to find than a generic benchmark bash file.

Really? Clicking on a link was "too hard to do?"
    Looking at what was said and how it worked out the reason is a different one: my way didn't match their mindless pattern ("github!").

TL;DR

• You delivered software that (honestly) no one asked for.

Correct. And I said it myself openly and clearly. I wrote vpsbench for myself, my own use, and I explained that multiple times. It was simply friendliness and good will to make it available to our community. Btw: The version line says so and mentions LET positively.

• People bashed you for not making the source open despite it being your hard work.

.. and for not using github and for some small purely personal preferences.

• This thread dragged on for no reason (no one was using v1, let alone v2 — people were still getting PMS over this). If you don’t like how he manages the source, use something else (if you even bother to benchmark your servers anyway).

Correct modulo one element: vpsbench has been used and is being used and some (mainly providers) are known to use it for checking their products and for finding weak spots.

Well noted, I'm not angry with you, I simply responded. Nor am I angry with people using or not using vpsbench. What does anger me though is mindless demands, utter ignorance, virtue signalling, and group dynamics (to put it politely). And no, I don't mean you, I took no offense from you, not at all.

TL;DR I wrote a tool for myself (and I'm very happy with it), I shared it with our community, and a bunch of millenials (at least so they acted) ran their usual mindless but loud ego show preaching open source, github, and what and how I must do and which demands I must meet to make them like vpsbench.

• You guys bickering on about not getting the source is really getting old. It's his decision whether to make it public or not. While I love foss and what it stands for it doesn't mean everyone need to go that route. Don't like it that the source is not open? Don't use it. Simple, move on with your life.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Do we have a similarly useful program/script that's open source?
    Sorry for the necro.